[Accepted]ParadoxSpace - Skrell Lore Developer Application

Ckey/BYOND Username: ParadoxSpace
Position Being Applied For: Lore Developer
Past Experiences/Knowledge: Being former Skrell deputy, former Vaurca deputy, former IPC maintainer on Baystation12.
Examples of Past Work: Most of the Bilröst, Jörmungandr and Jötunheimr (with heavy assistance from NursieKitty), my share of Venus lore (with heavy assistance from SamansaChan), the rework of the Ships and Stations page, Skrell dating, Skrell music, Skrell negative relationships(with heavy assistance from VTCobaltblood and Sleepy Wolf), a lot of Srom lore, how Skrell eat, Skrell ethnicities(with heavy assistance from Zyymurgy), making Skrell slimy, headtail control, and Beakmouth (again, special thanks to Zyy)
Additional Comments:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GF2VsWtMVy4q60AEI4kfoXXSpdZkhcUEvwhep589QeA/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Mofo1995

Their contributions were good, they were useful, they were timely.  A huge portion of the lore that pushed skrell into actually being played on the aurora was developed by paradox. 

They deserve a better spacemen server but for some reason they wants to be staff on this one (we’ve all made that mistake, I suppose). Paradox has my support.

You are active in just about every species' channel in the Staff Discord, you're a great writer and you clearly have a passion for lore. I have a few questions however:

Currently, what do you think is the biggest issue to Skrell and Skrellian lore? How do you intend on addressing it?

Where would you like to take the Skrell moving forward? 

I don't know the team dynamic you had previously, but I feel that the role of the Deputy lends itself to being further withdrawn from conflict. If you are made the Maintainer, you may face more criticism, questions and/or complaints. Do you believe you can handle the stress involved in addition to remaining composed?

38 minutes ago, niennab said:

Currently, what do you think is the biggest issue to Skrell and Skrellian lore? How do you intend on addressing it?

I think there's two conceptions going around that are honestly pretty valid.
One, that Skrell are a Mary Sue race.
Two, that they're very 'samey.'
I've been thinking of ideas on how to fix the fact that they're, well, kinda very powerful, mostly expanding the genophage's effect on them and giving them ways to attempt to deal with it that are risky, controversial, or even desperate. Details to come when I fully have them figured out. There are some things I will take out or adjust, such as the 'their fleet is literally the best,' and try to have Tups (their trump card, I could say) used as little as physically possible. Otherwise, I will also adjust the Federation's stance on the rest of the galaxy, having them not be interventionalist unless they deem it absolutely necessary to meddle in foreign affairs (in an obvious way.)

Second issue is one I'm not quite sure on methods to repair. I think most of this is due to the way Skrell really.. express themselves and display their emotions, but I'll try to have this be a little less universal in some fashion.

Edit: I'm also hoping to address that Skrell RP regarding synthetics can sometimes be unfun for the players they're interacting with. Skrell will not become loveydovey with synths overnight, rest assured, but I hope to change the dialogue in some way.

Where would you like to take the Skrell moving forward?

Outwards, hopefully. I want to have Skrell be more invested in the rest of the lore outside of 'everyone lives in the shadow of the anvil that is the Federation', and have them better integrated in the other parts of the lore (instead of completely being Elves and living in their magical forest away from the plot.) If the Federation is to act more, as detailed above, it won't be in the old lore where they only come to nuke people.

I don't know the team dynamic you had previously, but I feel that the role of the Deputy lends itself to being further withdrawn from conflict. If you are made the Maintainer, you may face more criticism, questions and/or complaints. Do you believe you can handle the stress involved in addition to remaining composed?

I'm open to all kinds of dialogues and discussions about the lorebase so long as it's constructive and avoids being 'fuk skrell bad'. I have a pretty low tolerance for unproductive shitposting in a srs bsns discussion, but I'm certainly not the 'taking my ball and going home' type of person. So, basically, ye.

I mean, I was pretty against skrell lore.

Paradox's lore made me into skrell lore? Idk - I'm not great at these. Imo they turned a fairly garbage species into something considerably more interesting, and I'm actually tempted to apply for it given their interactions + lore chats over discord. 

Errrr. They're cool?

+1

Paradox is not only an amazing friend, but one of the most dedicated people I worked on the lore team with. They've been on the lore team for a while, and hopefully Bilröst won't be the only project we work on together.

They're also very good at writing.

Paradox is a solid dev and I like the idea of exploring skrell living in other regions of space, not under the yoke of the Federation. Their general lore contributions have always been impeccable and their "customer service skills" is top notch imo.

I think they should get it.

Despite their awful taste in webcomics, Paradox can be trusted to come up with concepts with both innovation and substance, which is as much as we can ask for in spacegame lore. Venus and every Scarab ship but the spite-fueled anglofest are some of the most creative parts of human lore, and Skrell lore is incredibly distinctive and rich when it could just as easily be yet another generic scientist species.

Plus, I can count at least one character of theirs per species that both fits the lore perfectly and manages to be creative with it. I can't think of anyone I'd sooner see as skrelldev.