Player Complaint - amshaegaar

BYOND Key: Goolies
Game ID: b77-aEY4 / OOC
Player Byond Key/Character name: amshaegaar, Uat’zin Anah, Kssol’tok Guwan, Optikam Mhapikss
Staff involved: Readthisnameplz
Reason for complaint: Incredibly creepy behaviour in game and out. Following other characters around the entire round, (when asked not to) and then switching characters to avoid confrontation whilst simultaneously then following other characters on the new one they made. They would make vaguely sexual comments in LOOC and insist on inserting themselves into RP situations. It hasn't just happened to me and several other players have ended up complaining about it to Read. I am going to ask them to post their experience with Amshaegaar in the comments.

A lot of the time too they'll engage in relationship RP with the person they follow around. When I was friendly with them, they initiated this on one of my characters through several rounds in IC. It didn't bother me and I assumed that they wanted to continue said RP. I messaged them on Discord and they had a complete meltdown saying that they're constantly barraged by people wanting to "fuck" their characters. We didn't speak for a while because I was a taken aback by their complete change of behaviour.

This is one of the reasons that the complaint has been very delayed because of the way they act on Discord. They come across as rather unstable, whining to me about how the admins had treated them in past situations and it's effect on their mental health. How they're "used to" people being horrible to them and the "life they live" being filled with mean individuals. When they were punished in an unrelated situation, they left all of the Aurora servers and changed their picture to a completely black background and refused to speak to anyone. They've done this multiple times now in reaction to punishment given out by an admin.

I didn't want to draft a complaint up because I feel like I'm a rather fair individual, and if someone is bothering me I simply cut contact and leave it be. Unfortunately that didn't work in this case and since there's other people who have also been negatively affected by Amshaegaar, I thought it would be wise after finding out others were involved, to make one. What made me decide on definitely making a complaint was after I found out in a recent round that he was making new characters to interact with one of my characters, (Bling-35) after I had told them over Discord that I did not want to talk to him anymore and that the admin involved had said that I could completely blank them in game without being punished. They spent their entire round following around my character only leaving the department my character worked in for a few minutes at a time. Another character, (Taika Thomson) who has also been followed around by Amshaegaar and who Amshaegaar was not meant to speak to, was there also. 
Did you attempt to adminhelp the issue at the time? If so, what was the known action taken by administration/moderation? Me and a few other players affected have been talking to Read via Discord. Most of us came to the conclusion of just blocking Amshaegaar but, Read also said that we could avoid them in game without any consequence. It was going well until Amshaegaar started to make new characters so that he could talk to all of the players that had asked them to cut contact. It was obviously them and I asked Skull to verify this, to which it was confirmed that it was him on a new character.

(A few other issues have popped up but I won't speak for other players. I have asked them to comment their experience with Amshaegaar and any others who are reading this who feel like they've had a negative experience, to comment it also. Thank you for reading and this was most definitely a last resort.)
Approximate Date/Time: Started back in April and has been continuing on since.

Edited by goolie
Added character names.

I can back this up; I no longer feel safe just avoiding them and had initially ghosted this player completely when ooc complaints made me realize a character they were playing with abusive tendencies, that, ironically, set off my own mental health issues, was something they believed was acceptable behavior. ICly, they would, over a period of about a month, consistently show up and gaslight my primary character by playing on sympathy, negging (not allowing them to feel good about themselves but rarely- IE- consistently and low-key bullying insults, only to pepper almost-praise in a random and unpredictable manner while dominating almost all non-plot rp time and dominating the space so that other characters, who provided more consistent support and friendship, would avoid both of them and my character would have to rely on them for almost all support), and changing their backstories and motivations. And, when called out on this sort of behavior, they would cry both ICly and OOCly that everyone was being unfair. They took advantage of being the only other trans character I had encountered and played on my sympathies in both cases initially, and I supplied them with attention. As a player, I was led to believe all unathi were psychopaths by his auto-kah and guwan characters and just thought it was a skilled rp bit until the dog incident. Although, the constant shifting of character backstory, motivation, and complete disregard for self-antagging rules was a tad... unsettling?

As a character, Taika did not have many boundaries, but animal abuse directly in front of them had always been a no-no. In the early days, when Shaegaar was still in the "honeymoon" phase, they agreed ic to not be a dick. They would ask for a monkey cube and do things off screen, as you did, and there was no issue. However, under the pretenses of being an adict and "mistreated", they brought another character's named Corgi in and proceeded to eat it in front of Taika after a long line of uncomfortable, vaguely sexually advancy behavior on both them and their friends, up to and including manipulating them into lying about how they felt and hurting themselves to get other characters to seek them out. When told eating pets was not acceptable, they agreed to make it canon even though it was an antagged round simply because they stood behind the action because they were 'treated poorly by revs' and 'in drug withdrawal'. They played it as they were perfectly justified in /kidnapping and eating another player's pet/ as a non-antag as a justifiable action and one no one should reproach them for, and I suddenly realized- this was a self-insert, and they were willing to die on this hill. 

Toxic IC and OOC are separate things, yes, but I reached out to other players and found far more disturbing stories and I'm happy I ghosted Shaegaar when I did. I hope they post their experiences here. Additionally, I have more stories and individual instances of them being just creepy enough to ping my 30-year-old, traumatized ass's predator senses, but I don't wish to go down that rabbithole because this is supposed to be a hobby and I only discovered the snip tool in the last month. Just... someone at least keep tabs on this player when you can.

Addendum: I feel I should also add that the new character also, in the limitted interactions I have had, made me feel uncomfortable because they were already engaged in negging of both Goolies' character and my own after less than two minutes. I know that's not a specific unathi character trait. They're not all inherently bullies.

Thank you for taking the time to comment @Estoytrucha and thank you for sharing your experience.

What bothers me the most is how they’ve changed their characters, (to interact with me without me knowing who they are) a total of three times, not to mention the ckey changes, and the discord name changes. It’s incredibly strange to try and go under somebodies nose and continue to follow them and be able to interact with them, by using a pseudo character. If they’re doing that in game it makes me wonder why they’re constantly changing their discord username along with their profile pictures. Let alone the apparent ckey changes they’ve gone through. 

Sadly i cannot really testify for absurdly creepy behaviour from the player being complained about, however, I can go ahead and complain about a general lack of composure from the player in LOOC and IC even when asked LOOCly to stop harassing and following my static: Barnard Owen, constantly calling him names although having never met him and, i have been told, badmouthing my skills in medbay as a player and the character itself, still, despite never interacting with him. This has also led me to think the player has started to bear a grudge against me (the player) because i do not comply with their poor antics. 

I have also witnessed his characters (NUL-D) utilize particularly abrasive, offensive and outright out of place language with other people of which screenshots have been sent to Moosie in a separate occasion, they (the player) has also suggested turning non canon rounds into canon stories with "enough fantasy" through the looc chat to new players. 

Through the past 6 months i have played here the player has shown a constant unsavory and passive aggressive behavious in IC towards my character fof which by itself is not an issue as it is part of roleplay, however it does become an issue when it is just one big constant hard haul of offputting behaviour even when asked to stop on multiple occasions it starts to become disheartening and starts to spill in ooc where the mere presence of a single annoying, in a bad way, individual becomes too much to bear even for me. On multiple occasions the presence of the player in the round has led me to think twice about who to play. 

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was coming to know and then seeing for myself the character go ahead and badmouth my skills as a player and the character's abilities as their unathi despite never witnessing them at work with both the unathi and mostly the android NUL-D. They have been asked to stop in LOOC and apparently they did for a while. 

However this was not enough as a few weeks ago (i am currently on holiday and have not played since) the player has returned, sat once again close to my character and began calling me names in looc and in IC, once again, despite us having little interactions with as this new character in particular. 

This misbehaviour has led me to grow more and more tired with the player in the span of a few minutes leading me to loose clarity and to break the rule of not spilling OOC in IC and losing composure and prompting me to seek justice by myself which is in no way right, this made me slip and be overly toxic to the player by openly offending them for past administrative actions taken against them, for this I rightfully took a Warning from a moderator which i fully understand the reason of. 

To this degree the actions of this individual have impacted my usual behaviour. 

@nonno_anselmo Hiya, thanks for the comment. Only now that I've combed through our old messages did I realise how spiteful and vindictive they were. It lines up with your experience to a T. They were constantly and I mean constantly complaining about other players, admins and PRs. When they were punished or one of their ideas was turned down, they would take it as a personal attack and spite the individual responsible.

I’ve made sure to send all the evidence I have to the admins. I won’t post any screenshots here until I’ve got the confirmation from the admins to do so. 

It took a while to read through all the evidence compiled, I will admit, but we've reached a judgement, and it is that we can't really justify taking any action on AmShaegaar here, for a few reasons.

1. We usually do not act on what happens in DMs between players unless it is EXTREMELY egregious. What I have seen, though, does not meet that criteria. I have also not seen anything that could be construed as harassment or bypassing blocking on Discord.

2. What has actually happened on the server is either far too old to justify taking action on, or is simply not against the rules. An example of this is the round IDs we have been given. We found really no wrongdoing there, nor can we actually see any evidence of them intentionally trying to bypass a block to harass a player.

All in all, what we can tell you here is to block the player in question and report harassment if it happens, immediately. This thread will be locked in 24 hours.

So, after quite a bit of deliberation, and a few more people coming forward, we are going to be removing Shaegar from the community.

Without going into unneccecary detail, they are not respecting our playerbase’s boundaries, and violating our first rule of conduct. If any of the involved parties wish for more information, they can DM myself or MattAtlas.

Locking and archiving in 24 hours.

Edited by ShesTrying
  • Shadow locked this topic