New Map: Not in spess

Susan

Hey.

Awhile ago, the developers of the, in my opinion, very well done station Polar Station released the sprites they used, and I was inspired to revive Polar Station by painstakingly rebuilding it in our codebase with some touch-ups and aesthetic changes. This is the result.

Warning: RLY BIG

60327e7965.png

I know we're slated to get a new map this year, and I don't know where everything is there, but I thought I'd put this one up for community opinions as well, not only because it took a lot of my time to do things like mind-numbingly alter every frame of every door sprite for the new ones (oh god kill me) but also because I think it is totally awesome. Who doesn't want a giant reactor core engine or a telecomms 'satellite' that is just a radio tower out in an endless blizzard? Trams, duders. Trams. Nuke drop ships. Space carp am become snow wolves. Snowmobiles. COATS. STUFF!

Not intended to replace the new map or our current one

Also I just wanted to show it off too because holy fuck it took a lot of work and I still have to fill all the areas. Credit for sprites 2 comrades from Polar Station.

Edited by Guest

Looking past the whole "it's a new map, and it's also on land thing" that is cool, I have a few minor issues. Most of these you can't address, seeing as you only mapped it, and don't really deal the rest of the stuff.

What would the outside do, since it isn't in space anymore? I noticed that there are airlocks near the bottom, and a few glass doors, leading to the outside. If I'm correct though, the current snow area ( on the Nuke Op's base ) doesn't actually lack air, or give off coldness (could be wrong about that).

Security looks *huge*. While this isn't always a bad thing, it kinda dwarfs the other departments.

What's the point of the amazingly long two hallways, to the far right? They seem to stretch onto the edge of the map. Did you put them there as a storage, or something?

How does the crew leave, exactly? The only place that I could see long enough to act as an "escape" area, is the long hallways I mentioned. How would they even leave? They aren't in space, so would they just get like, snow-terrain shuttles or something?

The last thing I'm going to say isn't a complaint, but just a question. What in the world is this?

I believe it is going to be a long train, in said hallways.

Security also does look fairly large, there are some rooms off of it that seem to serve no purpose as well. Science and Engineering will probably need a bit more space, I can't really be certain until they have some tables and basic layout on them however.

Point one: I am thoroughly against using someone else's work to this degree on a feature that's suppose to make us look unique. Yes, we're open source, but it seems like a dick move. So just on the grounds of morality, I would rather not.

Also, I fail to understand the point of this thread. Do you want to suggest that we take an alteration of course on where we're headed with the new map, an outline which is quite thoroughly discussed in this thread? Or do you just want to show off your work? Because, as it stands, we cannot have both, and hopping from a worked out, discussed, planned objective (the current planetary outpost idea, with a space elevator) to a completely unplanned one (this one) seems like there was major effort wasted. And may also shove us back further, because we already have bits and pieces prepared for our design, ideas on how to incorporate what into where, and so on.

So, Sue, what exactly are you trying to do with this thread? Because it seems rather pointless. Beyond showing off your overlay work.

It was 1 am and I was kinda low on sleep. Mostly I just wanted to show the work, in the absence of any sort of proper forum for it I guess. There was a development forum on Bay for mapping and such.

Get some duder's opinions on how to tweak it n stuff.

Better worded my intentions. This was just a personal project because I thought what those guys were trying to do and accomplished were cool, and it was a shame it was lost.

If the map itself was used for perhaps an event or an 'away mission' (though not as dumb or broken), then I wouldn't see this map being used as an issue. I'm pretty sure Skull had some ideas about colony rounds and whatnot.

Otherwise, ehhh. Move it to General discussion to chat about it more?

If the map itself was used for perhaps an event or an 'away mission' (though not as dumb or broken), then I wouldn't see this map being used as an issue. I'm pretty sure Skull had some ideas about colony rounds and whatnot.

Otherwise, ehhh. Move it to General discussion to chat about it more?

This. Don't think it could be a replacement map, but as ab event map it could work.

As your complaint about the train corridor has been addressed, Voltage, I will address your complaint about the nuyek op's coldness. It's not cold because it was never made cold; the atmosphere for it was never modified. I would presume to make the exterior naturally cold would be to modify the temperature of the air that spawns there; and rest assured this has been done before, once in Polar Station, and once more recently in Archangel Station.

You know, I would really like it if a map like this took place in futuristic Antarctica, on Earth.

Put it a few hundred years in the future. Climate change means that huge portions of the Antarctic icesheet are melted and much of the Antarctic coast now has conditions comparable to current-day Alaska, leading to colonization. You could be part of some operation or other to extract resources down in Antarctica.

Having the map for an event would be a little bit of hassle considering that it requires a recompile to get the map on the server. Just for one event seems a little pointless to me.

It was 1 am and I was kinda low on sleep. Mostly I just wanted to show the work, in the absence of any sort of proper forum for it I guess. There was a development forum on Bay for mapping and such.

Get some duder's opinions on how to tweak it n stuff.

Better worded my intentions. This was just a personal project because I thought what those guys were trying to do and accomplished were cool, and it was a shame it was lost.

I personally don't mind at all, I'm glad you posted it. I mean, so what if it's showing off? It's still a good map, so it's perfectly reasonable to show it off.

Just saying, it's called Space Station 13, not winter station 13. I like the map but, I'd like to keep the space station feel that I originally started playing SS13 for. The point of the game is to keep that space feel, the hazards of breaches in space, keeping the station in tact so you don't come to your ultimate doom. That's the point of SS13, having a snow map kind of crushes the idea of the game.

Just saying, it's called Space Station 13, not winter station 13. I like the map but, I'd like to keep the space station feel that I originally started playing SS13 for. The point of the game is to keep that space feel, the hazards of breaches in space, keeping the station in tact so you don't come to your ultimate doom. That's the point of SS13, having a snow map kind of crushes the idea of the game.

How do we have a space station feel in the first place?

People are commuting to and from work to their space office building, working their space 9 to 5, then leave in their space bus, where they go to the space metro station and take the space subway to their home on the surface of a planet (moving at hypersonic velocities up and down or something if they actually want to get to and from orbit in the time it takes you to have a morning commute).

I fail to see how this is anything like a space station other than the fact that outside is deadly. It's not isolated at all, it's not remote at all, and mostly everyone just complains about breaches. Either that or they're instant death for everyone who isn't an engineer, because we have firelocks which the trained, designated medical personnel do not have access to, and which lock people out from escaping all the time.