Rename the Tau Ceti Foreign Legion to the Tau Ceti Legion

Lore Impact: Medium

Species: General

Short Description: Renames the Tau Ceti Foreign Legion to the Tau Ceti Legion

How will this be reflected on-ship?: We're supposed to believe the TCFL is actually modernizing and becoming a credible military force, the singular one in the Republic. Meanwhile it hasn't really changed beyond minor lore bits about getting better gear. It's still referred to as a "Foreign Legion" too. If we're beginning to shift how the TCFL are perceived, a good start would be their name. It's just a matter of presentation, really. So stuff would be renamed, future lore articles would refer to it by its new name.

Does this addition do anything not achieved by what already exists?: No.

Do you understand that the project may change over time in ways you may not foresee once it is handed over to the Lore Team?: Yes.

Long Description: After a long period of deliberation it was eventually decided that referring to the Nation's main military force as a "Foreign Legion" was detrimental to recruitment and its perception. The Legion is everyone who would call the Republic home. They are not separated, or foreign. They are Bieselites and deserve full recognition as such whether inside the Republic or abroad with allies. 

Idealism aside, military service is a hard sell to people and there's only so many foreign groups like the Skrell that the TCFL can simply press gang into service in exchange for them not being deported. Making it as appealing as possible and giving the right idea as to what it actually is will only make it more palatable. It's not really a Foreign Legion anymore, anyway.

5 hours ago, Zelmana said:

A foreign legion is a military term where one receives citizenship in exchange for military service.

As far as I can tell, it explicitly always relates to foreigners. Nationalization through military service is still a thing in various military forces, but they wouldn't be called Foreign Legions due to it. 

Eh, I'm not a fan. I'm a sucker for four letter acronyms.

This would also mean we'd have to annoyingly scrub and modify every mention of the TCFL from the codebase, as well as the Wiki. Which would be extremely annoying.

I'd prefer if the TCFL was a subdivision or at least part of a larger, Tau Ceti Army.  This would explain why the TCFL gets involved with Horizon and Aurora : the TCFL mostly sends ships abroad to deal with intergalactic affairs while the main Army is back home to deal with local affairs. 

11 hours ago, wowzewow said:

Eh, I'm not a fan. I'm a sucker for four letter acronyms.

This would also mean we'd have to annoyingly scrub and modify every mention of the TCFL from the codebase, as well as the Wiki. Which would be extremely annoying.

I'd prefer if the TCFL was a subdivision or at least part of a larger, Tau Ceti Army.  This would explain why the TCFL gets involved with Horizon and Aurora : the TCFL mostly sends ships abroad to deal with intergalactic affairs while the main Army is back home to deal with local affairs. 

I actually agree, It would probably be the better solution. From what I've gathered, that's not desired though unfortunately so I didn't suggest it. 

Suppose we'll see, though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...