Books, Wipe Archive, Rule Change, Yaya?

I have recently been informed that M rated books are not allowed onto the server, I do think a rule exception should be added so that characters who want to roleplay as authors can, And I don't mean books that contain high levels of smut such as "he and she fukt and it was cool" I mean books that delve heavily into characters but leave the option for a small amount of dirty dirty to be in the book, Such as implication of sexual action, and or blood gruesome gore.

I am also proposing completely wiping the book archive and having the players of aurora not the players of bay add the books.

I personally am a fan of the books system and I think it can be improved majorly into community submitted books instead of troll books or books that violate our HeavyRP standard.

Guest Complete Garbage

I think a select few books from each category should stay, that way librarians still have something to fill the shelves with while players draft their manuscripts.

The books in the database are Aurora player submitted though, and not Bay. We would just be wiping the books that Aurorans wrote to... have more books that Aurorans wrote replace them. That said, I'm for a loosening of rules on the maturity content of what we can put in the books. I think 19th Century Russian-tier approach to sexuality where it's implied but never openly stated should be legit.

I'm definitely against erasing history. Afaik all the books in the archive were written and added by players

Aren't there categories for adult books? As long as they're safely classified in the proper section, i don't see a problem

I'm definitely against erasing history. Afaik all the books in the archive were written and added by players

Aren't there categories for adult books? As long as they're safely classified in the proper section, i don't see a problem

Yes, There is categories for adult books, The problem is administration wont allow you to write any books containing implications of sexual action or the sourt, And with our code swap the books were not from aurora and mainly from bay players, That and the fact that there are some shitty random books in there that make me regret being a librarian such as "Freddy fucks watermelons" "16 inches" "Wabba Wabbwa Wabae" all which contain one word.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I'll talk to Skull about giving the lore team a way to monitor and manage the library database. Personally I would wipe all the IRL books copy/pasted in as well as the joke books (or at least put them under a new catagory of "joke books". I'm sure moderators have better things to do than manage the library archives. I'd rather not have it all hard-wiped because there's a lot of history in it.

Adult material should follow the PG-13 rule.

Edited by Marlon Phoenix

I should probably note that standards have changed a little bit in terms of "adult content" due to our split with RKS. We no longer have to abide by their version of the TOS in which they had control of the server over.

With the switch, we're a bit independent now, but I don't think this means anything has really changed in terms of the whole ERP rule and the expectations about people acting with some moderate level of decency and silliness combined.

Regarding the books, I think it would be a bit more elegant if someone were to be given access to the book archive and manually moderate the DB. We wouldn't have to wipe the archive and the works of former Aurorans who went the distance with writing some of the reference manuals and the infamous and utterly hilarious novella of The Encounter in the Brig, would not have to die in vain.

Regarding adult material. If anyone wants to take a look at the BYOND TOS and its applicability here, lemme know how that turns out. I really don't want to bother, though. Considering the loss isn't that great, wowe.

I mean there are entire servers dedicated to adult content of a far more offensive nature than 99% of adult books I've seen in SS13, said servers being publicly accessible too for several months on end. I don't think limiting adult books or a non-PG-13 stuff as a whole is really required considering this game is a murder simulator where you can tear out and eat the still-beating hearts of your enemies then tear their waifus apart limb by limb.

Lifeweb's archive has more meme books than actual legitimate smut/serious books. It's disappointing.

I should probably repeat my position and suggestion that we just give someone direct moderation and editing access to the library DB.

• 1 month later...
I don't think limiting adult books or a non-PG-13 stuff as a whole is really required considering this game is a murder simulator where you can tear out and eat the still-beating hearts of your enemies then tear their waifus apart limb by limb.

What server have you been playing on. You can't tear out hears or rip off limbs in this code, they can only be surgically removed or chopped/shot off. And organs are not edible.

That said... the library doesn't really get a lot of use. It's a largely pointless, fluff area, like the kitchen and chapel. I think I've visited it once or twice to actually look at the books. but more often use the librarians back room to suck out people's fluids in privacy. So I'm like,... not sure this is such a vital aspect of the game it needs much attention?