[Dismissed] Rigs suits (modules) should be treated with the same rules as wearing hardsuits [Binned: 01/05/2018]

I've seen quite a lot of people just running around all shift with the rig suits enabled and in the retracted state such as chief engineers and paramedics. By doing this they are able to call on the mighty morphing power suit to instantly have protection from vacuum and have all the modules inside the suit available to them at any time with a simple tap of the menu and a middle click.

Hard suits on the other hand are bulky and your character would overheat / become highly uncomfortable etc etc and as such there is already a rule in place for wearing them constantly.

It seems somewhat odd that rigs are still allowed to be worn all shift in the retracted state and I have seen certain arguments such as the module itself being lightweight and the back slot of the character being taken up by the rig instead of a bag. The thing is you can just simply lift the bag along with you anywhere so it's not much of a debilitation. As for the rig being lightweight I'm not sure it would be in a retracted state as in the deployed state it has built in actuators and powerful magic to assist the wearer in mobility. All this armour that can instantly pop-out of bluespace would be stored in the module itself so it would be sluggish to walk around with a bodies worth of advanced armour on your back.

Another augment I've heard is the small amount of rigs on the station too.

I just think it's power gamey to have a suit that is able to pop up on you instantly and make you completely immune to fall damage, space, have an instant jetpack and the ability to leap around like a gazelle at any given moment. I'd like to see the same rules as wearing hardsuits all shift applied to the rig as well.

Edit: Maybe I'm ye oldie but when I say hard-suits I mean void-suits.

You want to know the true reason folk keep them on but in retracted state?

They're a chore to take off and put on again.

As someone who has spent a lot of time working in full-body protective gear, you simply deal with the heat and that it's a bit cumbersome, just to avoid having to struggle in and out of it.

A 3 second timer to retract-enable suit parts sounds like it’d balance it, but I don’t really see a problem with people wearing RIGs all day in their retracted state. I mean, it sounds reasonable for an engineer to keep their RIG on their back and have it activate then they need it to, since they need to respond to emergencies fast.

Guest Menown

Give the suits a timer to deploy, stop the but that has constant internals when enabled and retracted, and enforce the prevention of people leaping everywhere constantly.

I don't see an issue with wearing the suit retracted, ala Dead Space. I do see issues with abusing the RIG for the internals and leaping.

I don't see an issue with wearing the suit retracted, ala Dead Space.

I do see issues with abusing the RIG for the internals and leaping.

I completely agree with that.

Wearing the suit in a retracted state isnt the problem.

The problem is people running around with it enabled, without any cause and using the suits leg actuators to leap around inside of the station.

However, adding another timer to deploy the parts, after the initial deployment is highly inconvenient and another major incentive not to use the rig.

You already need to wait quite a while for it to deploy initially and can put on a voidsuit instantly.

Players that use the rig inside of the station should be dealt with using administrative actions not by implementing code restrictions that inconvenience all players.

I think some people were ignoring what the OP was saying for the sake of having a different discussion in the thread.

The title of the thread says, "RIGs should be treated with the same in-roleplay comfort rule as wearing voidsuits for long periods of time."

Which I disagree with. RIGs are intended to be a perfect fit of a pressured suit around whoever wears the control module. Be it xeno or human, whichever. Unlike voidsuits I doubt people would make RIGs for it to not be a tight fit.

If you want to punish people powergaming and using RIGs without actual need or purpose for it, just apply a global nerf to all hardsuits by making each step use 1 unit of power. Could step up further if you want to enforce RIGs being worn for a purpose rather than my-character-is-super-cooler-than-yours being a thing.

Guest Menown

I think some people were ignoring what the OP was saying for the sake of having a different discussion in the thread.

The most common redirection being toward the fact the OP stated that even in the retracted state it should apply, where-as most people feel it shouldn't, as the suit, the weight, and whatever possible comfort rules wouldn't apply, as you're not actually wearing the suit, just the back module, like Dead Space.

I think it wouldn't apply either way, seeing as how Isaac Clarke is able to wear it for hours without complaining about it (although there is the concern of VIDEO GAME PROTAGONIST). I don't see why RIGs would be inherently just as uncomfortable, though. They seem to just be an advanced space suit that wraps around you regardless of your height, body weight or biology.

The title of the thread says, "RIGs should be treated with the same in-roleplay comfort rule as wearing voidsuits for long periods of time."

The rule does mention comfort but I'm thinking more the along the IC mechanics side rather than discomfort RP. I think the reason that discomfort is the primary subject of the specific rule is to give people the ability to yell at engineers prepping for the end of the universe, but in the mechanics and meta side of things it's got more to do with stopping engineers wearing space armour and instant space protection all shift. (And anyone else with void-suit access)

I think if you're in for a hardsuit for too long, your body temp starts rising. It's not as dramatic as it is for voidsuits but it happens after awhile.

The problem is that, generally speaking, someone's going to have a solid reason for wearing a suit until the end of the round such as the round type leading to precarious amounts of destruction and breaches. I normally don't see regulars donning a suit whenever they can regardless of whether they need to in order to do their job, otherwise they wouldn't be wearing it.

When addressing non-regulars such as people who only occasionally play on this server, it's harder to get that idea across since they don't understand that standard.

lets just get some terminology out of the way real quick, because reading the op got me a little confused. correct me if im wrong but:

Hardsuits, or commonly called 'RIG' in civilian use. a complete set of full internals, electronic suites, and components combined into a small backpack style package.

Voidsuits, the staple suit used almost everywhere EVA work is to be done. they are normally specialized for whatever work they were designed for, and in most cases will have some form of armor to protect against the dangers that lie in a vacuum.

Softsuits, used mostly for emergencies and low budget work with only minimal protection to vacuums. using regulated pressure inside of the flimsy material of the suit to create a breathable atmosphere for the wearer while also protecting their body from low, or possibly high pressures.

now that that's out of the way, lets get to the main topic of this, hardsuits. I think that hardsuits are perfectly fine where they are for a few reasons. firstly id like to think that due to their compactness, that they are not all that heavy. it being able to fit onto your back, and in some cases only being mounted onto your shoulders (or even a gosh dang tie! see IAA hardsuit.) would mean that it would be quite light. all hardsuits do not limit walk speed when not deployed and in some cases they dont limit when deployed as well (see EMT hardsuit).

next, there is the text that appears when putting on a hardsuit.

RNFefEU.png

As you can see, and as others have said the suit is designed to conform to your body upon activation, like a second skin. now, there may be the possibility that the hardsuit's interior material is something that would be uncomfortable to wear for a while, but i think that this would only ever apply to something like the mining hardsuit. combat, and medical hardsuits should be quite comfortable to wear for long periods of time. i think it would be pretty bad if the suit that held a majority of your weapons and life support drove you mad with discomfort, morso if you couldn't take it off since you might be in a inhospitable environment. all in all i agree most with what arrow768 said, and skull two.

I also think hardsuits should be BUFFED, but ill save that for my own suggestion.

• 1 month later...

I apologize for the delay here, I bounced ideas and solutions around my head for a while on this, discussed it with a couple of people before and even more no more than a few minutes ago. In essence, we're not approving this suggestion.

Hardsuits that are on/off without the body parts enabled is fine. I've spoken to [mention]Arrow768[/mention] about possible mechanical changes/additions to hardsuits.

Suggestion denied per team discussion.