[1 dismissal] Satchels as the default backpack

1 hour ago, AmoryBlaine said:

What about everyone else, specifically people who don't care to change their backpacks?

they get 2 keep wearing backpacks. i don't understand. i like how backpacks look. you can't just make everyone conform to your preferred style by removing the alternatives

1 hour ago, AmoryBlaine said:

@Ornias @Carver @VTCobaltblood Great, so now I don't have a backpack on. What about everyone else, specifically people who don't care to change their backpacks? This does nothing to solve my problem. I'll resprite backpacks, perhaps.

You know the game's entire art direction doesn't have to appeal solely to your personal aesthetic preferences.

You can change it. There are people that prefer it, and people who don't. This is the point of having options. 

What about everyone else, specifically people who don't care to change their backpacks? 

Then they don't care and everything's fine??? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

This does nothing to solve my problem.

I'm really not even sure what your problem is? You don't like backpacks. You can freely choose another option. No problem there.

Unless the problem is that you don't like that other people are wearing backpacks? That's not a problem, that's an opinion.

I hate to tell you this but sometimes people like what you don't and you have to deal with that.

Look out, he has pictures!

In all seriousness, it's like... Three clicks. Maybe four.

It's like lamenting about how if there's no job when you ready, it selects one randomly- Cool, you got an opinion, now there's something very simple you can do to fix it that literally everyone else who doesn't want a backpack does.

3 minutes ago, LorenLuke said:

Look out, he has pictures!

In all seriousness, it's like... Three clicks. Maybe four.

It's like lamenting about how if there's no job when you ready, it selects one randomly- Cool, you got an opinion, now there's something very simple you can do to fix it that literally everyone else who doesn't want a backpack does.

What does that have to do with changing the sprite to be more in line with all the other backpacks? What does me and every other person who dislikes backpacks, choosing not to wear them, do about allt he people indifferent. I don't want to see the ugly backpacks. I'm both respriting them, and suggesting they be made an alt to a default satchel.

3 minutes ago, AmoryBlaine said:

What does that have to do with changing the sprite to be more in line with all the other backpacks?

22 hours ago, AmoryBlaine said:

I hate backpacks. They look stupid. [...] Hell, let's remove them alltogether. No more backpacks.

I trust you see how that can be confusing to determine it to be anything other than 'remove backpacks'.

8 minutes ago, AmoryBlaine said:

What does that have to do with changing the sprite to be more in line with all the other backpacks? What does me and every other person who dislikes backpacks, choosing not to wear them, do about allt he people indifferent. I don't want to see the ugly backpacks. I'm both respriting them, and suggesting they be made an alt to a default satchel.

And that's the point- I can get behind the satchel being the default. And this isn't 'choosing not to wear them' as that can be done in game with less than half the griping, and is something many players have surely done without a peep.

But your advocating for the removal of backpacks (or for that matter, any resprite) affects everyone who uses a backpack. Which you might have noticed, for all the people who 'don't care', there seems to be a lot of people immediately up in arms about it. If you want to make satchels default, fine. If you want to resprite backpacks, fine.

But don't act like the phrase 'Hell, let's remove them alltogether. No more backpacks!' could reasonably be interpreted to mean 'I want to fix their sprite, not actually remove them'.

Just now, LorenLuke said:

But don't act like the phrase 'Hell, let's remove them alltogether. No more backpacks!' could reasonably be interpreted to mean 'I want to fix their sprite, not actually remove them'

Did you get confused when I posted the different images of the backpack, on why those might have been posted. Or when I said

14 hours ago, AmoryBlaine said:

I'll resprite backpacks, perhaps.

And then did so. With picture. Before you made your post, ensuring that you would be aware of the fact that those were made, with the intent of respriting them.

2 minutes ago, AmoryBlaine said:

Did you get confused when I posted the different images of the backpack, on why those might have been posted.

Not at all. More directly answering the Orginal Post, which existed some six  hours before you decided to dial it back. This thread was conceived as 'I don't like backpacks, let's get rid of them' not 'Hey, what do you guys think of these backpack resprites?' 

And I said- you want to resprite them? That's fine. You want satchels to be the default? That's fine.

But if you are truly mystified at how the reaction that you got at your original suggestion, I'm happy to lay it out for you again. And if you're going to ask how you choosing to not wear a backpack affects others, again it does not. But as said before-

10 minutes ago, LorenLuke said:

[Y]our advocating for the removal of backpacks (or for that matter, any resprite) affects everyone who uses a backpack.

Of which they may very well not like.

56 minutes ago, Skull132 said:

A change based on preference in a matter where there is no objectively better answer.

Objectively, you would want standard default items to be as innocuous as possible, IE; grey as the default jumpsuit, black shoes as the default shoe. The current backpack is half the size of the human sprite's torso and juts out of them like a cancerous hunch, high on their back, reaching over their shoulders and covering the tops of the arms. A smaller bag that is compact and lower down the back is much more suitable for the setting and overall appeal. I assume that whether I like it or not, my sprite will either not be added or made an alternative, rather than the standard.

3 minutes ago, AmoryBlaine said:

Objectively, you would want standard default items to be as innocuous as possible, IE; grey as the default jumpsuit, black shoes as the default shoe. The current backpack is half the size of the human sprite's torso and juts out of them like a cancerous hunch, high on their back, reaching over their shoulders and covering the tops of the arms. A smaller bag that is compact and lower down the back is much more suitable for the setting and overall appeal.

Consider how much can be stored in a backpack and it's understandable why it's so large. I'd understand smaller bags if the proposed backpack nerfs of the past were implemented, though even then I remember said nerfs retaining it's storage size and simply removing the ability to access it whilst worn (and retaining this for satchels at the expense of far less storage).

Just now, Carver said:

Consider how much can be stored in a backpack and it's understandable why it's so large.

If we want to go off how much can be stored, in relation to the sprite's size, I would suggest also looking at the items themselves, and if they should be fit in there in the first place. Mind you, my resprite of the bag is based on the Medical bags. Does that mean the medical bags should meet the same size as the standard grey bag? What about the Engineering bag? Should that too be the size as this bag? And since all bags, no matter their design, fit the same amount of items, shouldn't satchels, and carrier bags reflect the same size as backpacks?

Clearly, not. So why then, should we apply item amount and size with the bag sprite size.

8 hours ago, AmoryBlaine said:

Objectively, you would want standard default items to be as innocuous as possible, IE; grey as the default jumpsuit, black shoes as the default shoe.

Backpacks are far more popular than satchels when it comes to carrying things. I've not met many people that use satchels over a backpack, because backpacks are ubiquitous. Schoolchildren to airplane passengers to natural disaster preppers. They are easy to find, and cheap to purchase. Thus, it makes sense that backpacks are the default.