Security Blaster [Feedback]

Crozarius

https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/9640

UPDATED 2!

[Feedback Thread](https://forums.aurorastation.org/topic/14735-security-blaster-feedback/)

Implements the NT DP-7, a state of the art blaster pistol capable of firing reduced-power bolts which disrupt the central nervous system, inducing a stunning effect on the victim. It is also capable of firing full-power blaster bolts. This weapon replaces the security taser and .45 pistol as the primary sidearm of Security Officers. This weapon also replaces the energy pistol as the primary sidearm of the Warden, Head of Security, Head of Pesonnel, Captain, Corporate Liaison, ERT Protection Detail, Tau Ceti Consular Officer . The blaster pistol can be customised between three separate models: Sub-Compact, Service and Magnum.

Implements a wireless-control firing pin. This firing pin comes standard in the Security model of the blaster pistol, and allows wireless control of the firing pin authentication: By default the firing pin will only allow lethal gunfire on Yellow, Red & Delta security level. The new Firearm Control Console can remotely swap wireless-control pinned firearms between automatic, stun-only, unrestricted, and disabled modes, as well as displaying the registered user and current area of the firearm.

The .45 pistol which used to spawn in Security Officer's lockers now appears inside the .45 magazine cupboard in the armoury, if they are so required.

image.png.0d67e988884674a8c87894d97e6d6cb4.png

image.png.0810c3fabcaf6371639f509dc6fd8736.png

image.png.a3f1b3eee78e1ee6404770b9043d3372.png

Edited by Crozarius
Updating from progress made on the PR.

I really like this, the sprite design is cool and if anything it'd help solve the OOC issue of Security treating the .45's LTL rounds like valid-disabling, bone shattering Nerf darts. Now with IC justification to use the disabler shots people might not complain as much. However I do agree that without Command or a warden they're proper screwed (which is probably a good thing).

I also like it, though a few things.

- You don't always want to give your officers lethals on blue alert.

- There isn't always command staff able to allow blue alert, so I'd suggest giving the warden some way of being able to updgrade them too.

- This is a really big buff to sec antag. Guarantees they have a free, lethal weapon upon code change.

- The ion issue that was already spoken about.

I don't like it, and here are some of my reasons:

- Blasters are pretty dated in our setting, especially compared to lasers. This is supposed to be one of the best NT stations, why is the security wing being given the same guns that the poorly-equipped TCFL gets?

- This gives security free lethals when they're antagonists, since command likes to elevate the code as soon as somebody sneezes.

- This will likely create a strategy I saw on Bay: antagonists lowering the code to green to disable security's lethal ability, then command elevating it, then command elevating it again, repeat until the round ends.

- It makes being an antagonist harder, since all officers can now shoot through windows on any code (and I bet they'll shoot you with lethal shots if they get their chance.

- The ion issue.

I'm not opposed to this being a replacement for our energy pistols, which are a relic from the /tg/ days and have a mediocre sprite, but I don't think they should replace security's ballistics.

I'm big in support. Ballistics are awful for Antags, they always have been.

Any gun with the ability to break your bones or embed in you has always been completely awful to fight against, since Antags are always 1-to-4 in population, even in Autotraitor, the traitors are often massively outnumbered. So if an Antag requires a surgeon, to remove embedded bullets, or repair this broken bone from rubbers, they're just out of luck, and the round often ends v. soon in an undesirable way like this.

Blasters could fix this problem v. easily, just by being more like if you merged tasers and the ballistic .45's together and made them useful.

As for Lore and 'outdated', the TCFL blasters can continue to be massively outdated. We can make our new Security blaster new tech that actually feels as if you were using a ballistic, which would make everyone win.

A solution to the shoot through window problem is that potentially if they pass through a window, the power of the shots could be reduced by half, so window shots are just in general less dangerous.

As an edit...

They also look awesome

Edited by Chada1
13 hours ago, Daemon said:

why does the lethal mode have be locked behind in blue or yellow alert? sometimes there are no command staff that can elevate the alert, so it seems useless. 

This is because people in general are hard against giving security lethals on Green alert. If there's no command staff, but there IS a Warden, the warden will still be able to distribute lethal weapons. It's not ideal, but you can't expect everything to work perfectly when the station is understaffed.

12 hours ago, Lemei said:

I also like it, though a few things.

- You don't always want to give your officers lethals on blue alert.

- There isn't always command staff able to allow blue alert, so I'd suggest giving the warden some way of being able to updgrade them too.

- This is a really big buff to sec antag. Guarantees they have a free, lethal weapon upon code change.

- The ion issue that was already spoken about.

- I can easily tweak it to also disallow it on blue alert

- See above with regards to there not being any command staff, but a Warden.

- Valid point, noted. 

11 hours ago, NewOriginalSchwann said:

I don't like it, and here are some of my reasons:

- Blasters are pretty dated in our setting, especially compared to lasers. This is supposed to be one of the best NT stations, why is the security wing being given the same guns that the poorly-equipped TCFL gets?

- This gives security free lethals when they're antagonists, since command likes to elevate the code as soon as somebody sneezes.

- This will likely create a strategy I saw on Bay: antagonists lowering the code to green to disable security's lethal ability, then command elevating it, then command elevating it again, repeat until the round ends.

- It makes being an antagonist harder, since all officers can now shoot through windows on any code (and I bet they'll shoot you with lethal shots if they get their chance.

- The ion issue.

I'm not opposed to this being a replacement for our energy pistols, which are a relic from the /tg/ days and have a mediocre sprite, but I don't think they should replace security's ballistics.

- It doesn't necessarily have to be a blaster, it's just that I have been told that security should NOT have hitscan lethals. I can very easily make this thing a laser gun. Also, thematically, a blaster is a step up from a ballistic -- if blasters are dated, then ballistics are prehistoric.

- I can easily control its ability to shoot through windows. It's an easily edit-able flag.

15 hours ago, NewOriginalSchwann said:

The stun setting no longer shoots through windows as of now. Furthermore, the lethal setting can no longer be used on security level Blue.

I'm entirely against anything that functions based on alert level, because as interesting as it can be, the fact the server whitelists Command means you are never guaranteed to have someone in Command able to alter said alert level - and there lays the earlier argument as well of 'antagonists will just lower it'.

.45s are already incredibly tame without armoury or autolathe access, and the two of those require cooperation with other characters to get your hands on more often than otherwise. The sprites are neat, but I just don't really care for this knock-off of Bay's smartguns.

Right, been a Star Wars RPer for 7 years and I can recognize the telltale characteristics of a blaster " a state of the art blaster pistol capable of firing reduced-power bolts which disrupt the central nervous system, inducing a stunning effect on the victim. It is also capable of firing full-power blaster bolts. "

Truthfully, since we've p'much ported SW blasters for the Foreign Legion, I'm not sure why they're seen as outdated seeing as blasters are meant to be more advanced, powerful and technological than laser weapons.

I love this, the sprites are great. I'd like to suggest a few things, though:

- Let's throw them under the massive umbrella-term that are energy guns. Blasters are old here;

- Let's merge the taser & the .45 in a single weapon. As it is now, energy weapons are useless the moment you run out of charge, so let's give these weapons an ejectable power cell and throw in an extra in every Sec Locker and in the armory. We can keep a 7-8 bolts capacity per cell, similar to the .45. That may seem like having a lot of charge for a weapon that can be set to lethal, but, it's also your primary non-lethal, ranged weapon. Not to mention, keeping ballistic weapons in the armory at round start now means we can no longer shut down antags with bullet shrapnels. It's a compromise I'm willing to take. And yes, Ion will be massively strong against these;

- I'm no coder here, so PLEASE someone tell me if lethal damage can be "weaker" than energy carbines/laser rifle. Let's also nerf for these guns the damage inflicted by firing them through a window;

- Let's not pair the lethal setting to an Alarm Code. Let the HoS, Captain or Warden be able to activate/disable the lethal mode from their console;

Edited by OffRoad99
7 hours ago, OffRoad99 said:

so let's give these weapons an ejectable power cell and throw in an extra in every Sec Locker and in the armory. We can keep a 7-8 bolts capacity per cell, similar to the .45.

I'm under the impression that this is a hard no, according to past rulings; portable ammo is a ballistics feature. Not an energy weapon feature. Energy weapons are balanced around having a limited ammo pool that you are required to fall back and replenish at a stationary charger, generally back in security.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I'm under the impression that this is a hard no, according to past rulings; portable ammo is a ballistics feature. Not an energy weapon feature. Energy weapons are balanced around having a limited ammo pool that you are required to fall back and replenish at a stationary charger, generally back in security.

Fair 'nuff, will update my suggestion. Thanks for pointing this out.

11 hours ago, OffRoad99 said:

- Let's throw them under the massive umbrella-term that are energy guns. Blasters are old here;

- I'm no coder here, so PLEASE someone tell me if lethal damage can be "weaker" than energy carbines/laser rifle. Let's also nerf for these guns the damage inflicted by firing them through a window;

1. They've been renamed to 'Disruptors', so maybe that fixes that for you.

2. Lasers were recently nerfed to not harm internal organs, and of course the damage level of a shot can be easily changed. Is this what you mean by "weaker"?

49 minutes ago, Myazaki said:

1. They've been renamed to 'Disruptors', so maybe that fixes that for you.

2. Lasers were recently nerfed to not harm internal organs, and of course the damage level of a shot can be easily changed. Is this what you mean by "weaker"?

Yeah, that's what I mean, thank you.