Aurora's Long and Storied History

wowzewow

So, I've been "inspired" by the old geezers thread about Aurora's long and storied history about being an Apollo branch-off, and the off-chance discussions about the past by old-timers on the discord.

I guess being the longest standing HRP server is something pretty impressive.

So I was thinking, it would be pretty cool to have just a page about the server's history, and how it's developed over the years.

Are people even interested in this kind of thing, better yet, in making it?

I don't know, I just thought it was interesting. I'm the type of guy who thinks going to museums are fun. Which they are, very fun.

Edited by wowzewow
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Girdio said:

Regarding the "dramatic retelling of the founding", I'm guessing you're talking about the old Pantheon post.

https://auroraserver.freeforums.net/thread/617/pantheon-aurhora-new

Partially. There's actually a short story thing to go alongside it, from back when I was far more dramatic, and reading it didn't cause me to want to bury myself.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LKRN9tCzKw5jU0nzaL8yzC4kFHYlzMTOcQwaRvcXJnk/edit?usp=sharing

It's 9 years old now, back from when my writing style and tastes were significantly worse.

15 hours ago, Carver said:

It'd feel wrong if such a thing wasn't written by a figure like Skull who's been through a majority of that history.

Rusty was the creator of the pantheon names and blurbs, and I created the short story. we were both old time members. I was about for it actually being made. If you read the thing Rusty wrote about me on the Pantheon thread, you'll also see a reference to my brother, Eragong, who was also around at that time; he's off being a forensic chemist now.

I've still got the original lore document in my google drive as well, but that has actual names on, so I will refrain from linking it. 

Edited by Gollee
  • Thanks 1

T-the OOC lore...

I like the idea. I think it would certainly be interesting to see a timeline of how our server's lore evolved. From hodunk shit coordinated over skype messenger, to what it is today.

I guess the weird thing about it is that it'll inevitably be a narrative about aurora, rather than a 1:1 retelling if it's something on the official wiki. There is a lot of cursed shit and internet drama from in-between when the server started, to where it's at now. How much gets officially documented in that context will depend on how brave we feel.

• Like 1

I don't know if I'm the odd one out here but I don't know if it's neccessary. As someone who joined in 2019, the server's history means very little to me beyond the stories about the most depraved people who have graced this community.

I think writing an ooc history has more of a likelihood of just coming across as pandering to names forgotten or clique-y as well. Where does the history stop? Is it something that will need upkeep? What names will be omitted or what contributions will be highlighted over others? So on and so forth.

• Like 2
On 22/02/2023 at 18:58, Caelphon said:

I thinking immortalising the founding doctrine of the server might be a good way to show the servers foundations. 

No, it's not. It adds unnecessary constraints to folks operating on the present reality and on the future.

Myself and Yeahchris were kind of fortunate enough to not have had any "Founding doctrine" imposed upon us, when we took the leadership helm. This allowed us to put energy into creating our own vision, recruiting people who shared this vision, and players who shared it. It allowed us to take ownership of what we created. One of Aurora's original creators spent years publicly ruing the server because we didn't follow whatever vision he had originally had. (And yet, here we still are.)

I wouldn't place such a burden, even if perceived, unto the folks currently leading and participating on the server. I'd let Aurora be what it is, and become what it wants to become.

• Like 1

Nostalgia is a funny little mind trap. As Skull said it wasn't like there was any more of a direction towards anything compared to today, which it can't be said it's really that fundamentally different today -- aside from the amazing development progress made since then. I unfortunately deleted some of my more ancient screenshots of that time period, but suffice to say the game looked much uglier back then. Aurora's point was and is just to have a space for roleplay without the griefing bullshit other servers often tolerate. We don't need to enshrine the people that made this possible to such an extreme extent - since most of them aren't here anymore, have moved on, etc. They're just checking in and saying hi, wow, this place has changed! And that's cool and all. We don't really need to go much further there.

I'm sure "immortalizing" whatever prior aspect to Aurora does not actually matter to you guys. It'd be a waste of effort, frankly, effort that could be better spent coming up with new ideas on how to keep Aurora going into the future rather than kept in the past.