That OTHER Security Remap

Susan

Hi, question, Sue.

Is it possible we can swap the spots of the Armory and the range, and the spots of the meeting room and the warden's office, while also maintaining the idea of a button toggle-able, security-officer accessible armory? There'd still be a side entrance for security to enter or exit in the event of a situation requiring officers to arm up, but the warden can still distribute a weapon or two during drone/blob/carp attacks by the regular desk if needed for less drastic situations?

Only issue I really see though, is that now the Warden's office is far away from the communal brig, so... Maybe move the moved meeting room and the communal brig away from each other, then?

It's probably just a stretch, but there's some flow of movement flaws I'm seeing with the current layout as opposed to my suggestions, which arguably aren't much better anyway.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0f32af4d2b.jpg

Honk.

Hi, question, Sue.

Is it possible we can swap the spots of the Armory and the range, and the spots of the meeting room and the warden's office, while also maintaining the idea of a button toggle-able, security-officer accessible armory? There'd still be a side entrance for security to enter or exit in the event of a situation requiring officers to arm up, but the warden can still distribute a weapon or two during drone/blob/carp attacks by the regular desk if needed for less drastic situations?

Only issue I really see though, is that now the Warden's office is far away from the communal brig, so... Maybe move the moved meeting room and the communal brig away from each other, then?

It's probably just a stretch, but there's some flow of movement flaws I'm seeing with the current layout as opposed to my suggestions, which arguably aren't much better anyway.

I don't really like this idea, honestly. The armory is just a stone's throw from the warden's office and with the prison system change his role is more focused on prisoner management, hence the prisoner control connected to his office.

I will admit I do favor this brig because the insanity ward and the communal area. Infirmary also seems to have ample space for medicine. Maybe it could be smaller? I don't know all that's going into it I just know that the infirmary is more for just cuts-and-bruises type stuff.

Either way, I like this one much better than the current brig we have as well.

Sue -

One issue I see is the N2O canister next to the communal brig. If that isnt locked up, any prisoner/chucklefuck who got even close to it could flood the brig with knockout gas. Stuffing it into the Armory (Not the Secure armory) would likely be best...even though Ive only ever seen it used once.

I dislike how the briefing room was removed. Security was the one department that needed (and that I regulary saw making usage of) a briefing room the most. It would be extremely hard to hold meetings anywhere else, as there's few other open spaces. I tried to have a short talk with Sue, and even though she continues to maintain security doesn't need a briefing room, I can't agree that it was completely useless.

I don't understand what we gain from removing it either. A briefing room is certainly more useful than showers or an arcade machine.

I dislike how the briefing room was removed. Security was the one department that needed (and that I regulary saw making usage of) a briefing room the most. It would be extremely hard to hold meetings anywhere else, as there's few other open spaces. I tried to have a short talk with Sue, and even though she continues to maintain security doesn't need a briefing room, I can't agree that it was completely useless.

I don't understand what we gain from removing it either. A briefing room is certainly more useful than showers or an arcade machine.

We do need a Security briefing room. I'm still waiting for someone to present a Security with all the prior features that doesn't force their own ideals onto Security. Because you know, Jamini's anti-CSI autopsy stance and Sue's anti-briefing stance kind of... sucks.

b9f494052f.jpg

You can just line up in the hall and talk to your officers. If briefing outside in the sunshine is good enough for the army who ostensibly would need their own designated area, gathering in the hall for your pseudo-military jargon is good enough for security.

THAT SAID.

db53764a16.jpg

Jakers has a point.

Edited by Guest
You can just line up in the hall and talk to your officers. If briefing outside in the sunshine is good enough for the army who ostensibly would need their own designated area, gathering in the hall for your pseudo-military jargon is good enough for security.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm pretty sure the irl military can hold meetings wherever on their bases because they aren't filled with civilians.

There's a lot of reasons why I wouldn't want my security meetings to be interrupted by onlookers. From random assistants disturbing the meeting by fucking around, to people overhearing (and blabbing about) confidential issues - such as how to deal with a particularly troublesome crewmembers.

This is why I think your suggestion of meeting in the lobby doesn't really solve this.

The military can do briefings and such outside because they designate an area that will not clog the hallways where people will get in the way of each other. No matter where the military does it, I can guarantee you it will not be in a hallway where everyone will step on eachother's toes. They will be told to gather in an organized area to be briefed.

I don't think the break room is really needed (most players seem to have an aversion for break rooms that aren't in a central point of their department), and it could be replaced by a smaller equipment room.

However, most of the larger areas of the brig are at the very back of it, and constitute of less-accessed rooms (firing range, briefing) that aren't as critical. You'll probably go to the briefing room once or twice in a round, and almost never to the firing range unless you're testing weapons (or roleplaying), so it doesn't matter if they take a bit longer to walk to.

Keep in mind the communal brig being at the front of the brig is a large contributor to its size.

Has anyone else noticed that this version of the brig is very, very large? As in "It's blocking an escape pod and a solar" large? or "It's twice as large as the other remap" large?

Do we want that?

as a non sec player, this one looks enormous. Like, from top to bottom looks like it'd take at least a minute to travel at max speed in game.

Well, from the top of the longest hallway to the bottom of the lobby, the wing is roughly 40 tiles long.

For comparison:

-The walk from the end of arrivals to the beginning of the civilian "box" is 40 tiles long

-The walk from the entrance of the medbay lobby to the entrance of virology is 40 tiles long (medbay is actually longer than this brig)

-The "box" of boxstation is 30 tiles wide

-The medbay is 30 tiles wide

Walking to the end of the brig should take roughly 15-20 seconds at default running speed.

I believe the most important factor to consider is that this brig is mainly bigger because extra rooms were added, namely the firing range, a break room, an extra isolation room, and an insanity ward. These rooms are all non-essential and exist mostly for roleplay purposes, and were they removed, the brig would be roughly at the same size as the current one/Jamini's.

But, why would we want to remove them?

Edited by Guest

guess it just looks bigger because the rest of the station isn't there for comparison

there is a lot that can get cleaned up in terms of editing and compression though, off the top of my head the armory has 3 armored walls between it and briefing room, that could be slided two over so its not like, on top of the solars. I actually like the expanded firing range, one always seemed too small for me when i played cadet

+Cells aren't off in a corner anymore and breaking the windows actually work again

+Gun Range

+Communal Brig/No more perma

+No more fuckhuge wastes of space in the locker/meeting areas/evidence

+No more maintenance entrance into perma

-RIP fire closet

-The range doesn't have windows to space, the only 'view point' from the outside is the HoS's office. Notably strengthens the brig against space-based threats

-/+Warden still has to sit at the front desk, less of an issue though since the cells aren't in the back anymore

-/+Detective & CSI are distanced a bit from evidence, unsure if this will matter much aside from inconveniencing

-/+Isolation is so isolated noone will ever go by it, unsure if there's any way around this, it was an issue with perma/isolation at the old brig

-/+Insanity is still just overglorified straitjacket/sleep toxin storage

?The giant mass of wall between the Armoury and Range could be used to expand on the space, but I can't imagine much use for the space either. Could possibly shift the armoury over a few tiles at the cost of 'symmetry'?

Alrighty,

Pull request 607 will put us onto this version of security.

Why do I want to this map into the running without having a vote or anything? Well, from a development standpoint, the things I like with this brig over Jamini's rendition:

• More access from maintenance (and actually into halls, instead of right into perma)
  • More open/accessible lobby design, less of a clusterfuck with doors
  • Better flow in terms of the hallway placement and overall design, in my opinion
  • Holding cell area is open to public, partially, so that cousin Bob can come down and bitch about Security being corrupt and shitty

Oh, the modifications made to the original:

• CSI morgue decommissioned. If they really want it, they have to pester engineering.
  • Individual cell lockers added back for the sake of the specialized jumpsuits.
  • The 3x wall by the armoury is gone, with a special modification (see image below).

IMAGE OF UPLOADED VERSION: http://puu.sh/ijAzM/eb5d7a9c43.png

Plus, I the key note: I want to see the communal brig design in effect. As such, it was easier to take this one on, instead of modifying Jamini's design.

Why do I want to see the communal brig design in effect? Because it offers up neat ideas. It basically removes permabrigging as a simple, swipe of the hand type of option (thus giving antags more ground). It also makes brig escapes and riots an option again. So, we'll give it like two weeks to run its course, and potentially cause a catastrophy here and there.

If it doesn't work out, then we'll have a vote, see which layout is liked more and roll with that.