[1 Dismissal] Borg Hauler Module

This would replace the construction module, because it's literally just a gimped engie module that nobody uses.

Idea by Lohikar and myself.

It's basically a mulebot but with either treads or spider legs, whichever one is cooler. It would have engineering and supply radio.

You can mount stuff onto the Hauler, and it can then power those things if applicable from its' internal cell.

If you mount a chair or bed, you can sit/lay in it.

If you mount a crate, it can be used as storage space.

It can function as a clipboard.

It can function as a recharger

Research would be able to produce a variety of upgrades for this support-type borg, such as an integrated gas canister (you can refill your tanks from it!), an integrated welding/water tank (you can refuel your welders from it!), an integrated tesla link (it functions as an APC. perhaps it would be immobile while this is active?), an integrated printer.

Yes, this is barebones, yes, we just thought of it. Please add more ideas below, or tell me why it's shit.

Edited by Guest

I would never, EVER play this as a 'borg as it is. It needs more than just holding and powering things to be a fun experience. I mean, this is a very unique concept, and it's already useful to have around, but that isn't much good if it literally has one function that depends entirely on what equipment it can find. The most absolutely dangerous thing it could do, is carry around an Emitter on itself and power it with its cell. That is COOL.

Construction is played so infrequently, there is NOTHING wrong with replacing/revamping it. But maybe instead of making a 'Hauler' Module, you could call it the 'Cargo' Module. We would have Security, Medical, Rescue, Clerical, Engineering, Miner (Should be called Mining, but Dinosaur code), Custodial, Service, Research, Cargo, Standard. You already want to add the Paper Dispenser, maybe instead of a Paper Dispenser, you could add the Clerical Gripper and the Clerical Pen or make a new Gripper able to pick up a pen, paper, and stamp. Not all at the same time, just one. That would make them able to do most basic Paperwork without being as great at it as Clerical, that's something.

I could envision their actual inventory tools being something like: > Crowbar, Wrench, Fire Extinguisher, Flash, Hauler Module (?), Paperwork Gripper (Clerical Tool), Printing Pen (Clerical Tool). < That I think would give them the bare minimum to function as more than just a thing that carries one thing around and does nothing else.

Overall, it's not a bad idea, very unique... but it still needs more than just... carrying one thing around, that can't be much fun for the player, nor super helpful for the Crew. The upgrades help with this a lot, but you can't depend on upgrades alone to make the Module viable, that doesn't tend to work. I kinda wonder if this concept would work better as a new mob altogether instead of a 'borg Module.

Chada has brought up some very interesting points.

The main question being: "How do you turn this into a fun and interesting concept that will be played by players beyond the initial "this is new"-hype"

Being able to pick up and carry a item while powering it, seems a bit lacking.

The upgrades would be interesting, and could make this very useful.

But the dependence on research for all of them is not a good idea.

Maybe throw in one or two at the start or allow the borg to pick one or two after the module is selected.

You also write: "You can mount... for you to..."

Does that mean that the borg is unable to mount items on its own ?

• 7 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Gem locked this topic