[2 Dismissal] Remove the code red voting restriction if the round is longer than 3 hours

This is probably autisticly overexplained, but this is how I see roleplay on this server.

Most good stories follow the dramatic structure, which is: is exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement (or conclusion). The length of these key points varies between story to story, which depends on its genre. Action movies tend to have a longer climax, while dramas tend to have shorter ones. Thrillers have a lot more rising action, while universe-building stories have more exposition. That being said, the typical good aurorastation round looks like this:

FSPx3nK.png

This is fairly standard. Antags gear up, introduce themselves usually at the 30-45 minute mark, they start to cause trouble 45 minutes in, then they unleash their big climax usually between the 1:30 to 1:45 mark. Depending on everyone's cooperation in the round, that climax can last between 5 minutes to 30 minutes. Falling action is when the antagonists and/or the crew are slowly defeated one by one, in which then the denouement happens. This entire process usually takes 2 hours, and the whole voting for a crew transfer thing is clearly designed around that. If the story has not reached a climax, or if the story is currently reaching falling action, a vote is usually called and a transfer is scheduled. The vote itself only passes when it's a 2/3rds majority to prevent the "i died please restart" meme from manifesting which is more than fair.

HOWEVER if the current alert level is red, then the vote cannot be called. Obviously this was made to prevent players from voting during the climax of the round, but unfortunately there are a lot of bad antagonists (and sometimes bad heads of staff) who keep the alert level on red and inflate the length the round when the cow has been milked dry. I think this is fine up until the 2:30 mark, however when it gets to 3:00 then it's usually just silly. A lot of admins at the point tend to intervene as a CIAA official and ask why on earth their expensive multimillion dollar station has been on code red for the past 2 hours, but given how they don't want to do too much they wouldn't force an ERT shuttle and instead let the crew decide if that's necessary.

Thoughts? Should it instead be 2.5 hours? Should the restriction be removed completely? Should an automatic ERT be called if code red has been longer for 2 hours? Should a special vote be called that asks to send an ERT team if it's been code red for a total of 2 hours?

This thread is merely for the suggestion of it being removed at the 3 hour mark, but of course if this one fails, new threads could be made with new suggestions.

Not really reading all of this.

CCIA and Admins both work to ensure the round is not help up without good reason, I've been the reciever of both CCIA announcements and bwoinks for having code red on for just thirty minutes past the 2:00 mark.

Unrequired change.

Thoughts? Should it instead be 2.5 hours? Should the restriction be removed completely? Should an automatic ERT be called if code red has been longer for 2 hours? Should a special vote be called that asks to send an ERT team if it's been code red for a total of 2 hours?

How about an announcement or something after a solid hour of code red, followed by an automatic evac around the three hour mark? Usually this is handled by admins just fine with a more human touch, yes, but it might be worth considering an automated system for emergencies being a thing, from both an IC and OOC standpoint.

But why?

Because people are bored?

Because the antag isn't meeting the expectations of the majority but instead roleplaying with a few people?

Because the ninja is unable to roleplay with anyone since security won't stop chasing him around?

Because the cult won?

Because I died?

Y'see this is the problem with voting, we can't differenciate these people. We don't know who legitimately thinks the antag is bad and who is just salty the antag didn't diddle THEM personally.

How do we differenciate between people who think the round has gone on for long enough and people who are upset because they died during the "climax"?

Rev, Cult, Mercenary and Autotraitor all defy your chart with their lenghts. Cult and Rev rounds in particular tend to be played way over the second hour mark as new and new people are getting sucked into the snowball of action and heads have less and less time to call off red.

I'd agree to a reminder message sent after half an hour that code red is active to remind all heads that they should probably turn it off.

However I won't agree to an anonymous "Everyone in the round" vote, as those tend to boil down to above mentioned points.

Also I have yet to see an antag round that isn't overly active drag into a 3:00 mark, like seriously that happens once a blue moon and we don't need an entire system for it when you can just ask us.

The three hour round meta instated mostly to give certain antag types, namely cult, time to get their research done and established and have time to start doing things. And then cult got a massive acceleration in the form of all words known from the start, for free. I think every other antag type, except perhaps Malf, can adequately 'ramp up' their gimmick over one to two hours.

For the record, I've been in some really fun 4+ hour rounds. Cryo exists for a reason, and we don't always need active antags to entertain ourselves. And sometimes, antags DO find a way to stretch out an interesting plot for some 3 hours. I understand that the human attention span just, isn't that long, but I don't know. I think admins and CCIA already do a fine job with this.

• 2 weeks later...