stop sweeping maintenance the second the round starts

1 hour ago, zyymurgy said:

When the game mechanics conflict with what is supposed to be canon in the lore I find it harder to suspend my disbelief for the lore of the station ICly. If I get shocked by electropacks in the warehouse or attacked by bats or manhacks; if I find knives and pills and brass knuckles in maintenance every single round; if the station gets swarmed by carp; if I'm told none of that is supposed to be canon just because it's a "game mechanic"; how am I supposed to take anything as canon when the whole *GAME* is *mechanics*?

Why should it be all or nothing? Just take is as possibilities. 

The general ideal is not to ask people to completely ignore all these things, but to not systematically act on them. Yes it is possible cargo have contraband, that's a risk and when it's in your face you are free to act upon it. Same for the carps, people know they exist, they know it's a possibilities, it don't mean they are ready at each moment to kill them all. When the alarm occur people get ready for them and do the sweeps. It should be the same principle for cargo contraband. Yeah, that can happen, if someone find something fishy and report it the security, there is no problem for them to investigate, but doing a systematic sweep of tunnels only accessible by some personnel of the station is not necessary.

Also, I don't get why people seem to fight so much to keep the systematic sweeps of maintenance in place. I could understand it could be a real threat for security if there was laser rifles, landmines and frag grenades spamming in it, but that's not the case. It just gives antag some additional tools and even in some other case give people on the station some help.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's randomised loot. It probably could be canon but it implies high level criminal activity. It's randomised. You can suspend your disbelief regarding antags attacking every other round but items in maint is a bridge too far? Canonise it then and let's have sec raid maint. I genuinely don't mind but just "checking up on maint" when it's known grenades are being stored their by persons unknown becomes unbelievable in the other direction. It's either randomised spawns you RP are just junk and thus don't sweep or it's meta or it's intentionally placed contraband and thus is a serious known problem and sec should escalate their process.

1 hour ago, Zundy said:

It's randomised loot. It probably could be canon but it implies high level criminal activity. It's randomised. You can suspend your disbelief regarding antags attacking every other round but items in maint is a bridge too far? Canonise it then and let's have sec raid maint. I genuinely don't mind but just "checking up on maint" when it's known grenades are being stored their by persons unknown becomes unbelievable in the other direction. It's either randomised spawns you RP are just junk and thus don't sweep or it's meta or it's intentionally placed contraband and thus is a serious known problem and sec should escalate their process.

It's not hard to rationalize things being spewn about in maintenance constantly. The implication of the rounds we play not being comprehensive of every single shift has always been a thing for me. Why else would the warehouse restock every single round? People clearly come between rounds and do things on the station, and they often leave a mess behind. The vault has its contents shuffled around as sensitive items are transferred to the Odin or other secure locations, and new items are placed in their stead. The warehouse contains the non-sensitive things and is prepared to be sorted again, and maintenance has people leave a bunch of junk laying around, some of which is dangerous. It does not have to be a binary thing. Also in general, some people might enjoy being alone in the dark. I know I do.

This is a very silly reason to restrict roleplay options. I have had fun encounters in the tunnels before, and I hope to have them again in the future. The warehouse has infinitely better items for an antag to steal, not to mention you find better things in your actual PDA if you are a traitor. And if you are worried about doing sketchy things you can just give it ten or so minutes before starting, by which Security will be done. 

12 hours ago, Zundy said:

It's not canon that items in the tunnels get refreshed after every shift by some mysterious stranger. It's a gameplay mechanic. Sweeping it is metagaming imo. 

Then by this very logic it's metagaming for other roles to go in for said items, no? Double standards only prove the very bias this thread was founded upon.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

The consequences are different. If security sweeps maintenence and finds a flashbang, a balcava, a tactical knife, and some wire, the items go into evidence storage and sit there for 2 - 4 hours until the round ends.

If a cargo technician finds them, do you think those items are lost to the ether? No; they are used as part of roleplay.

The equipment taken from maintenance never ever goes into evidence storage and you'd know that if you played Security, Jackboot.

In-fact, it's typically distributed between Security players and then stored in the Armory or distributed out to departments (pickaxes to mining, engineering locks to engineering), that sort of thing.