Jump to content
Butterrobber202

stop sweeping maintenance the second the round starts

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Every single round, regardless of ANYTHING else, one or two security officers will dive into maintenance and remove ANYTHING that could be even somewhat useful. It's every. single. round.

 

What is the point of having a mechanic in the game that randomly generates items every round if one group of people instantly remove those items from public use? Does anyone ever think that maybe those items should stay in maintenance rather than throwing them all in the armory? 

An antag could've maybe used some of those items to create a cooler narrative, but nope, since Security has decided that the items must be removed, they are gonna sit in the armory and do nothing to entertain the players. 

Honestly, I think the practice stems from the fact that most Security mains would prefer removing the chance an antag might have the upper hand rather than letting some cool happen. 

 

/rant

Edited by Butterrobber202

Share this post


Link to post

Alternatively:

Oh there is dangerous crap in maint, lets send someone on a sweep to collect it before it might get passed around and misused.

Unlike other departments with a 'set up' phase, security does not really have one other than getting their stuff from their locker.

Lets stop accusing security mains of having bad intentions because you don't like something they do.

Besides, the warehouse always has infinitely more useful stuff than maint, so if you are an antag perhaps hit there first.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Bold to assume it isn't my cargo dreg running in to clear it out of good shit

Edited by Doxxmedearly

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, SHODAN said:

Alternatively:

Oh there is dangerous crap in maint, lets send someone on a sweep to collect it before it might get passed around and misused.

Unlike other departments with a 'set up' phase, security does not really have one other than getting their stuff from their locker.

Lets stop accusing security mains of having bad intentions because you don't like something they do.

Besides, the warehouse always has infinitely more useful stuff than maint, so if you are an antag perhaps hit there first.

Don't you think letting them get misused would create a more interesting and fun situation rather than just going on a scavenger hunt every round?

Share this post


Link to post

I think it is really lame that people do that. Also, I don't think that the maint spawn has anything really dangerous besides knifes, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Alberyk said:

I think it is really lame that people do that. Also, I don't think that the maint spawn has anything really dangerous besides knifes, I guess.

combat belts, masks, EMP and Smoke grenades and knives can all spawn in maintenance, and have

 

Correction. Combat belts, Tactical masks, SWAT masks, EMP grenade boxes, Smoke grenade boxes, brass knuckles, combat knives, tactical knives, metal hooks, wormhole engines. Just to name a few off the top of my head.

 

Plus, all kinds of medical kits, useful pills (Tramadol, dylovene, bicaridine) in containers, bullet casings, the old Autopsy room and Firing Range (with body bags and bullets + a magazine respectively), all good reasons to sweep maintenance. I tend to do it when I play Security, and I'm usually beaten to the mark by a Janitor or CT. They're all welcome to what they find, I don't hold them at gunpoint and search them. But there's no reason I should not be allowed to do it, too.

Edited by Brutishcrab51
Adding some items. Adding even more items.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

We all know sec mains dive immediately in to scour for delicious boots and crayons. 

As well, I sort of agree. While I don't think it's malicious as "I don't want antags to get the upper hand on me at any cost," there are plenty of black/blue uniformed players who like to treat things the station as a no fun zone.

Can't fault them for maint diving, though. It's fun.

 

edit: nothing on that list is particularly dangerous aside from the knives.

Edited by Doxxmedearly

Share this post


Link to post

You can't find emp grenades in the maintenance. If it is somehow there, it is a bug, but I am sure it is not in the list.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Alberyk said:

You can't find emp grenades in the maintenance. If it is somehow there, it is a bug, but I am sure it is not in the list.

I've found boxes of them in crates or on racks or in lockers at least on three different occasions.

Share this post


Link to post

Frankly, half the stuff in there shouldn't be in there in the first place. It just breeds this sort of non-antag scavenger hunt for goodies. You get Officers who always look for knives and tact masks, janitors who always look for security vests, and random deaths via wormhole jaunter because people think it's a toy. Have other crap spawn in maintenance instead. Decent amounts of metal and glass sheeting, more hazard vests, standard gasmasks, and welding equipment. Full boxes of tools, maglights, ect. Stuff that you'd expect to be in there.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Marlon Phoenix said:

I'm sure we can code so maint access is granted to sec on blue and vice versa :)

What if there is no command and someone does something illegal and goes into maint? What if someone is dying in maint and we are the only close ones? Removing maint access on green has no real purpose other than denying the sweep, IMO it is a pretty not great idea.

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Roostercat said:

What if there is no command and someone does something illegal and goes into maint? What if someone is dying in maint and we are the only close ones? Removing maint access on green has no real purpose other than denying the sweep, IMO it is a pretty not great idea.

call the emt... what if someone is dying and as the librarian im the only one nearby...

make it time based then...

Share this post


Link to post

As a point of perspective. On old Goon, it was clearly job bannable if you went maintenance prowling as sec at round start without a valid in round reason. It was considered bad form for sec to immediately begin hunting/looking for antags.
I will also note that if this behavior is known, then it can be avoided.

 

Share this post


Link to post

We could probably just make this against the rules. Right now maint loot is pretty much a first come first serve and that includes security. That's probably not great though. Is there value to searching maint at round start as security?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Garnascus said:

We could probably just make this against the rules. Right now maint loot is pretty much a first come first serve and that includes security. That's probably not great though. Is there value to searching maint at round start as security?

The only usage is getting gas masks from fire fighter lockers and removing the potential "bad" maint spawns (emp nades, knives, insu gloves/toolbelt) from anyone else who might use them.

Also finding mercs when they dock.

Share this post


Link to post

Instead of denying access just make it part of the SoP to not search maintenance without probable cause (response to a reported crime, pursuit etc) without a change in the alert level?

Edited by Happy_Fox

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Happy_Fox said:

Instead of denying access just make it part of the SoP to not search maintenance without probable cause (response to a reported crime, pursuit etc) without a change in the alert level?

also a good solution.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Garnascus said:

Is there value to searching maint at round start as security?


Ignore this quote, I can't figure out how to get rid of it lmao

On the flipside to this, plenty of security teams search the buildings they "secure" before opening them for work. Even regular store openers sweep the store before opening the doors to the public.  You could argue "well we need to give a little lead-way RPly in order for antags to get the upper hand" but I can't honestly say anything I've found in maint gives me an upper hand as a traitor or as a vamp. Everything in those tunnels is just-- low-tier garbage you can get for pennies of TC, or literally ask a department for. (Hey, Cargo, can you get me a gas mask? I'm afraid the vents might start spewing garbage out, as they're prone to do.)

So keeping sec from searching those tunnels doesn't do anything but keep them from having something to do at round start, like every other department, and it goes against "heavy roleplay" standards.

I'd also like to say that I, as a HoP, search tunnels for all the stuff and have a Yard Sale at the holodeck. It's fun, gives RP and would be cut pretty short if I was found "snooping tunnels for everything". So don't cut RP for the sake of antags when antags can get that stuff with their TC, or get it from interacting with crew better.

Edited by SatinsPristOTD

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, SatinsPristOTD said:


Ignore this quote, I can't figure out how to get rid of it lmao

On the flipside to this, plenty of security teams search the buildings they "secure" before opening them for work. Even regular store openers sweep the store before opening the doors to the public.  You could argue "well we need to give a little lead-way RPly in order for antags to get the upper hand" but I can't honestly say anything I've found in maint gives me an upper hand as a traitor or as a vamp. Everything in those tunnels is just-- low-tier garbage you can get for pennies of TC, or literally ask a department for. (Hey, Cargo, can you get me a gas mask? I'm afraid the vents might start spewing garbage out, as they're prone to do.)

So keeping sec from searching those tunnels doesn't do anything but keep them from having something to do at round start, like every other department, and it goes against "heavy roleplay" standards.

I've found tools and supplies that have helped in being an antag. The other methods of acquiring those items draws attention and can backfire. 

Also, if its junk, then there's no reason to round it all up, no?

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Happy_Fox said:

Instead of denying access just make it part of the SoP to not search maintenance without probable cause (response to a reported crime, pursuit etc) without a change in the alert level?

I can get along with that, I am simply against removing maint access, I am absolutely fine with eliminating maint sweeps.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...