[Accepted] Roostercat's Command app

BYOND key: Roostercat12

Character names: image.png.6b768efdb403fa6ef6c63d27484050f3.png

How long have you been playing on Aurora?:  around 1 and a half years by now

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: Playing just sec and sometimes researcher is getting boring, and the ability to play a command role and a Consular Officer, which is mostly what this app is for, would likely spice things up a bit.

Why did you come to Aurora?: Heavy roleplay server that isn't quite known for shitmins, a good map, and a very interesting cast of races with deep lore. Also seemed easier to get into then Bay. ( it was)

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?:  Yes

Have you received any administrative actions? And how serious were they? Aside from a bwoink every now and then, I have received no bans or anything like that.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:  Roleplay is when you create a character and then use them to either drive a narrative or be part of said narrative. The main goal is to create a story, it doesn't have to be a good story, but a story nonetheless, and to partake in a fictional world on a more personal level. Roleplay allows for a whole new level of gameplay as well that is just not found on other servers, on some old LRP server, hostages are a joke, and pain is ignored, but In character? Those things become life or death as you pretend you are there for real.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: The main goal of a head of staff is to drive the narrative and to co-ordinate their department. They make the round interesting via multiple ways, including being the boss™, organizing the station in times of chaos, and running along with gimmicks to ensure fun is had and roleplay is achieved. ICly, the goal of a head of staff is to run their department at top efficiency, and ensure the station in general is running, and looking at that all mighty bottom line.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:  The OOC responsibilities of a Whitelisted player are numerous, the chief ones being to be able to help new players into the game, creating or rolling with environments that encourage RP, and introduce fun situations that are intriguing for all involved. A Head of Staff coordinates the department and/or station, and is meant to be a help to the station, providing advice, giving orders, and protecting crew until they get turned into an antagonist.

Could you give us the gist of what is currently happening in Tau Ceti and how it affected your character and their career?  Things for the Zo'ra are tense right now, with most lesser queens expanding and in need of resources, such as Zoleth on Caprice, And sources of income for these resources are needed. Thus a megacorporation such as NanoTrasen is sought after to be in good relations to make such sources possible, So the Zo'ra often send a Ta to increase relations on some stations, being the most politically advanced hive, In hopes of securing resources and making the Zo'ra hive look better in general. Ta'Akaix'Kuxkri'ax Zo'ra is one of these Ta, of whom was previously looking after young Vaurca, before being reassigned to handle relations with NanoTrasen, whom also have lots of phoron and means of making K'ois, and she was sent to one station in particular, The Aurora, which has quite a few notable Vaurcesian crew.

What roles do you plan on playing after the application is accepted?

Consular Officer ( Which is mostly what this app is for. Mostly)

Head of Security

Maybe CMO

Characters you intend to use for command or have created for command. Include the job they will be taking.:

Ta'Akaix'Kuxkri'ax Zo'ra - Consular Officer

Jackson Vulip - Head of Security

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:  Solid 7/10, I can make my own story when needed, though am much more comfortable following along someone else.

Do you understand your whitelist is not permanent, and may be stripped following continuous administrative action?  Yup.

Have you familiarize yourself with the wiki pages for the command roles? Yessirmanma'am

Extra notes: I was going to apply for IPC, but ima wait for the shift of p o w e r

I haven’t paid close attention to crono for awhile, and I’m not familiar with the other characters. But I DO recall crono was playing security in a round where I was held for a full hour over a 20 minute charge and watched security ignore a man with ruptured lungs in processing until he fell in critical condition (despite two members of medical informing them he was dying.)

I’m willing to waive this off as something that happened under that particular HoS, and I know ultimately officers can’t do much if they’re given bad orders. I’m also willing to dismiss what I observed as probably one of your first rounds- you were still a cadet, I believe. 

But, could you clarify how you feel security play should look like, given you’ll be playing an HoS?  Why are security on station, what at their goals and priorities?  What does good security play look like to you?

HoS has a lot of control over the round. It’s stressful, and the telltale sign of a new HoS is trying to win the round because they feel a good HoS is one that quickly handles all the security concerns in a round. How do you feel pacing and escalation come into play, both ICly and OOCly in a round?

20 minutes ago, Resilynn said:

I haven’t paid close attention to crono for awhile, and I’m not familiar with the other characters. But I DO recall crono was playing security in a round where I was held for a full hour over a 20 minute charge and watched security ignore a man with ruptured lungs in processing until he fell in critical condition (despite two members of medical informing them he was dying.)

I’m willing to waive this off as something that happened under that particular HoS, and I know ultimately officers can’t do much if they’re given bad orders. I’m also willing to dismiss what I observed as probably one of your first rounds- you were still a cadet, I believe. 

But, could you clarify how you feel security play should look like, given you’ll be playing an HoS?  Why are security on station, what at their goals and priorities?  What does good security play look like to you?

HoS has a lot of control over the round. It’s stressful, and the telltale sign of a new HoS is trying to win the round because they feel a good HoS is one that quickly handles all the security concerns in a round. How do you feel pacing and escalation come into play, both ICly and OOCly in a round?

I believe that first part WAS one of my first cadet rounds as I remember seeing it and wondering what was going on before I was called to the HoS’s office. As for the question, I believe security’s goal in this game is to do three main things. One, give the antagonists a challenge. Antaggery would get stale super fast if the only opposition to them was some dude with a toolbox, so security tends to make them come up with a plan of action. Two, they keep players engaged and in the round. There have been many a time where I have had to drag someones unconscious body out of a combat zone for them to be treated and I am sure they would have been chilling in deadchat otherwise a lot of those times as well, and when antags are captured, we keep them engaged with things like interrogation, processing, general question asking before putting them in their cell. it is one of my favorite parts of the role when I get to hear them explain their actions or try to prove their innocence as it is never the same story. And third, most importantly, security exists to either create or roll with environments that encourage related RP, such as being die hard loyalists, or trying to stop a bar fight, or even just explaining to the bartender why he can’t lend the shotgun to people. All of those situations would be drastically different and more or less boring without security. Good security play, in my eyes, is giving antagonists a challenge to meet while still making their gimmick possible, such as trying to negotiate in a hostage situation rather than just baton rushing, as they have to come up with demands and a plan while security comes ever closer. Good security players are always active and communicating in situations and talk a lot to antagonists and victims and of said antagonists in particular. I feel I should also add what BAD sec players look like as well, Bad sec players are typically the kind that, instead of speaking or trying to resolve a situation peacefully, immediately pull out their flashes and batons and go a swinging, their ultimate goal is to win instead of driving the narrative. They are typically either silent or extremely aggressive when they talk and seem to show no emotion other than stone cold long arm of the law. They are the kind of people to cuff someone and drag them to brig despite the fact they are coming willingly, “just in case”. As for the last question, escalation is important to make sure that the gimmick situation an antag makes me isn’t shut down in twenty seconds. In a real situation police would not just barge into a hostage situation weapons drawn, they try to talk it out first and only move in if they feel the hostage is in imminent danger. Same thing applies here. Any given situation should be handled according to the threat. If the guy is not about to kill someone right then and there, always try to talk first, it won’t work, but the point is not to win here, it is to make a story, and making a story with no dialogue is difficult. Only break the .45s put when they are clearly about to do something very dangerous to station and crew. You wouldn’t start shooting people jaywalking and you shouldn’t start shooting the lunatic with K’ois straight away either. Sorry for the block of text, this is ALL on my phone

Edited by Roostercat

Hello.

I'll be handling this. Considering the feedback and the contents of the application, a trial will be granted. It will start today, 25/OCT/2019 and will last for a whole week, until 1/NOV/2019 inclusive. Please remember that during this time you still require to continue gathering community feedback, so please keep advertising the application whenever you play Command so the community can rate how you play on this thread, since it's normally the best way for us to cover your performance. If no feedback is gathered by the end of the trial, it will be extended for a few days, and once that period is over, it will be declined.

Thanks and good luck!

So I’d still +1 this, but I do have a concern. 

Please do not fax to confirm gimmicks regularly. It’s just been a couple of times but both were before the demands were unbelievable. As command, you have a responsibility of helping to drive a story. Needing central to confirm basic central announcements puts the antags gimmick on pause completely until an agent can respond. An HoS can stop a rev round dead in its tracks by deciding faxes are fake until they hear from central, and we cannot always respond to faxes. 

Obviously this is not an all inclusive request. Weird shit like “kill all tajarans love central”, yeah, confirm that shit because that’s whack. But if there’s context, like, “there was a bombing on the Odin, Adhomai spies are suspected, please search their bags” and it ramps up over the next two hours to “you may cyborgify the adhomai saboteurs”... that makes for a good story and you can just roll with it.

Being a good member of command often does not mean making all the correct choices to win against the antags and prevent any harm done to the station- yes, ICly, that’s your job, but there are ooc expectations to drive a story and there are very few ic reasons to believe central is lying when you get most gimmick announcements. It is okay to let go of the leash a bit and make a few intentional mistakes and pretend to be a bit gullible. Blame it on the implant icly if you’d like, but you can’t fax every time you get an antag-made announcement. 

4 hours ago, Resilynn said:

So I’d still +1 this, but I do have a concern. 

Please do not fax to confirm gimmicks regularly. It’s just been a couple of times but both were before the demands were unbelievable. As command, you have a responsibility of helping to drive a story. Needing central to confirm basic central announcements puts the antags gimmick on pause completely until an agent can respond. An HoS can stop a rev round dead in its tracks by deciding faxes are fake until they hear from central, and we cannot always respond to faxes. 

Obviously this is not an all inclusive request. Weird shit like “kill all tajarans love central”, yeah, confirm that shit because that’s whack. But if there’s context, like, “there was a bombing on the Odin, Adhomai spies are suspected, please search their bags” and it ramps up over the next two hours to “you may cyborgify the adhomai saboteurs”... that makes for a good story and you can just roll with it.

Being a good member of command often does not mean making all the correct choices to win against the antags and prevent any harm done to the station- yes, ICly, that’s your job, but there are ooc expectations to drive a story and there are very few ic reasons to believe central is lying when you get most gimmick announcements. It is okay to let go of the leash a bit and make a few intentional mistakes and pretend to be a bit gullible. Blame it on the implant icly if you’d like, but you can’t fax every time you get an antag-made announcement. 

Understood, I will try not to do this again, or at least not regularly. Though the only time I remember doing this was once on a rev round, not multiple times.

1 hour ago, Roostercat said:

Understood, I will try not to do this again, or at least not regularly. Though the only time I remember doing this was once on a rev round, not multiple times.

There are a few new HoS's, so I could be mistaken.  I still support this app ❤️

Barely any feedback has been gathered, and I personally have not found you around the game to see you play, so the trial will be extended for 3 more days counting from tomorrow, so until the 5/NOV, inclusive. Please be aware that the feedback doesn't necessarily have to be for your HoS character, so if you find the Head of Security's slot taken, you can use other characters and play other Command roles. If the application has not gathered enough feedback in both quantity and, specially, quality, the application will be denied by the deadline.

Good luck!

I would like to say that I had the pleasure of seeing their Ta Consular Officer and it was a great experience, made them a Wizard Vaurca. It was hilariously fun. Other than that, I like to believe that Rooster has the aptitude to be among command staff given their experience and ability to rein in security when they falter during antag rounds.

Other than that, they are a great roleplayer and it is a pleasure interacting with them. On the related note, as former CCIA, I would also echo Resi's sentiments, we don't like dealing with announcement confirmations for the exact reason unless it is absolutely bizarre, so please refrain from faxing them for such reasons and go along with the gimmick. +1

as a cargo main, i tend to not really see rooster in-round very much, but i also tend to ghost rounds and watch- what i've seen from jackson is a lot of very solid RP, and his willingness to help continue to drive the story for the antags is very much a breath of fresh air. escalation is also very appropriate and handled well.

its gonna be a +1 from me dawg

Hiya,

I've played a few rounds with you between today and yesterday (Gennie). 

I don't have any bad things to say, though my only slight concern is how often your HoS leads from the front. It's not a bad thing on its own, but it does sometimes cause issues when you go down or get shot..which seems to be how our rounds have been going lately. A little more co-ordination and a little less getting into the thick of it might be nice, unless that's the character concept you're going for. Also, big props for allowing sec officers to have their own autonomy without going overboard on MUST CONSULATE POWER. Examples being giving the spare to an officer when we needed to get somewhere ASAP, and not yelling at me for taking your PDA whilst you were in surgery and we had a situation going on.

At first I was a bit concerned as we had that round together with a nutjob warden who was abusing prisoners and no action toward him was taken, but since then I've seen you come down hard on officers being assholes and that's lovely to see. Likewise seem to be very soft on antags, but I think that's better than the alternative even if it is slightly frustrating (Referring to the merc round when they claimed they had bombs). 

+1

Not bad at all. Always wary about HoS characters leading from the front; some do well, some are just in it for valids. You don't seem to be the latter. Pretty good coordination, lenient when officers and antags require it, hard on officers who are shitheads (Which we absolutely need to see from HoS's, huuuuuge thank you). Hope you'll maintain that even when shit hits the fan and hold officers responsible for, say, executing antags who are helpless or surrendered. Excellent communication, as well.

Overall had doubts; Not a huge fan of Crono, but Vulip was excellent to work with. You seem to understand command's role in making or breaking a round, which is the most important part of a trial to me.

+1