Jump to content

Add Flash Immunity to the Security HUDpatch


Recommended Posts

My Character is Old Veteran and one cool thing of his design/history is his eyepatch/Sec HUDpatch... doing security work getting flashed is horrible. 

If you take in consideration that there is a Sunglasses that also work was a presciption glasses(Also treats Nearsightedness)  and have a Security HUD, I dont think adding flash immunity to the Sec HUDpatch will do any harm. 

The HUDpatch description it says '' A Security-type heads-up display that connects directly to the optic nerve of the user ''

Edit : The HUDpatch connects in your optic nerver and have diferent types that allow you to see the Medical/Security/Meson(YES, green vision)/Science/Welding all those functions being sended to your spare eye, whats stoping from preventing flash? its the future, its science.

Since is a Security type, and because it affects the optic nerve(All HUD patch do Tbh, but thats where comes the ''Security Type'') could give some flash immunity to the other eye (Making it ''Realistic'').

Having a Sec HUDpatch for security that does not prevent against flashes and eats the glasses slot.. it makes you wonder how someone can survive on security using it?

 

Tested it with a flashbang and a portable flasher, will also effects you if another officer uses a Flash.

Edit : If the ''Optic nerve'' solution is not good for you, keep in mind that mixing Realism with gameplay aspect in a game is not always going to go well, and second this is HUDpatch a advanced futurist not realistic at all ITEM not just a empty eyepatch that blocks one eye. it gives you alot of functions, The blind last a good amount of time and being a officer that is a death sentence is most situations, A item directed to security that nobody will want to use and if you do, people will probably call you a burden or useless officer.

Warden installed Portable Flasher in the brig? BLIND (You will have to walk/Slow to not get affected inside the brig at all times and if you need to go fast to fast response a call or somenthing you're a slug now)

Arrived at a Call with a backup from another officer and he uses the Flash on the Criminal Scum? BLIND You're a useless partner.

Need to Raid and you get affected by someones flashbang, sigh.. BLIND

Flashbang in riot or mutiny? BLIND

Someone used a Flash Mounted in wall in the Cell or any part of the brig and you're nearby? BLIND

Is there some Escape inside the brig? enjoy being flashed or pepper spray'ed by mutiple officers in the chaos, BLIND

This and possible other situations,  multiply that for the entire round.

I wonder if getting flashed that much will affect your character health in any way, by the end of the shift you're either blind or with heart problems?

Edited by Valwyn
Link to comment

To be fair, if you want to have the patch instead of the glasses it's a sacrifice you'll have to make. Realistically it doesn't make sense for it to provide flash protection.

On the other hand, now that flashes won't stun you and just blind it's not as bad as it used to be.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, DRagO said:

its a eyepatch, it has a exposed eye

Indeed, but you have to remember it eats your whole glasses slot even trough it affects only One eye, soo if we go ''Full Realism mode'', we could also say we could use some looking Sunglasses iPatch in the other eye to keep the aspect/fashion of a eye and prevent the flash, but we only have one slot, so its not possible.

(I always trough of those technological iPatch was some kind of mechanical eye looking stuff)

 

56 minutes ago, Evandorf said:

To be fair, if you want to have the patch instead of the glasses it's a sacrifice you'll have to make. Realistically it doesn't make sense for it to provide flash protection.

On the other hand, now that flashes won't stun you and just blind it's not as bad as it used to be.

Thats where the HUDpatch description comes '' connects directly to the optic nerve of the user '' would come to Fix '' Realism'' Problem, well we are in the future aren't we?

Edit : Another thing that would come together with that realism problem would be if the User was wearing the SECURITY HUDpatch while he also have mechanical eyes in his Internal Organs setup. so that description could even make more sense? the connection of the HUDpatch would form a link in the mechanical eyes that would allow it operation/function to prevent flash in the other eye(Mechanical eye). it would look cool tho.

47 minutes ago, Carver said:

The only suggestion I could make is allowing someone to combine a pair of sunglasses and an eye/HUDpatch, so they're wearing both. Of course, it'd just look stupid and likely defeat the look you're going for, but it'd make sense.

Or have another eye slot.. but then again.. thats just alot more problems and another topic, soo was i mentioned allow wearing a iPatch together with it, it would keep some fashion/aspect

Or have more functions utility/synchrony  for the Mechanical Eyes.

Or in the last case scenario a new item type? Eye patch in one side and mechanical eye glasses/patch stuff in the other? that way affets both eyes? For exemple, cyber punk eyes theme, cyber punk stuff is always awesome. could be in form of eye item.  

Edit 3 : i belive that is considered ''derailing'' ? soo ignore all that i said.. i dont want problems..

Spoiler

e73rOz3jaNHZGhKIOALqZ_rT0yJsk18iDZKTLTUq

 

 

Edit 2 : Of course since we are in the ''Future Argument'' i used, normally people would not use eyepatchs since we have mechanical eyes, but thats where the player character design/history comes on it...

Edited by Valwyn
Link to comment

I understand that we acquiesce to efficiency instead of realism for some things, but I feel that might be stretching it, how do we explain ICly that the hudpatch somehow protects the other eye? If we say its wired to the other one as well, how do we explain that you can remove it? There is jsut no feasible IC way for us to explain this. -1

Link to comment

If we treat it like the HUDsunglasses we currently have, we could make the eyepatch have a "flash protection" mode. Maybe it flicks over a sunglasses lens on the other eye. I feel we really shouldn't be punishing the disabled in this case. Not when the solution is something that could realistically be fixed (literally just putting on sunglasses on your eyepatch or going full Harry Hart and getting one-side-tinted glasses) but can't be done mechanically.

 

As far as being able to take off the patch goes, I presumed there was just a plug-in port you connect the patch to and that you slide the patch over. Either in the socket (ew) or connected to the cheekbone directly below the socket that the patch covers (better).

 

Easiest solution I think would be being able to combine the patch with a sunglasses. But it's... janky. Less-than-ideal.

Edited by Conspiir
Link to comment

-1 Pretty obvious as to why you wouldn't be flash resistant. Also, if they're missing an eye- how are they seeing out of the HUDpatch to begin with? A normal eyepatch is there to cover the hole, or protect the wounded eye. The HUDpatch is just a way to delegate all HUD crap to a single eye, rather than both. If they are blind in one eye- they should probably be wearing normal HUDaviators.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, AmoryBlaine said:

-1 Pretty obvious as to why you wouldn't be flash resistant. Also, if they're missing an eye- how are they seeing out of the HUDpatch to begin with? A normal eyepatch is there to cover the hole, or protect the wounded eye. The HUDpatch is just a way to delegate all HUD crap to a single eye, rather than both. If they are blind in one eye- they should probably be wearing normal HUDaviators.

Huh, i dont think thats the case at all if you look at the HUDpatch descriptions.

''replacing what you lost in Space 'Nam.''

''giving you cool green vision at the low cost of your only other eye.''

Soo you are saying that is a eye patch/HUDpatch.. that covers the entire (healthy) eye just to have HUD?  It have eye patch design , have patch in the name, whats he point of using a patch that covers the eye? missing eye or an eye that was wounded, Dont you think thats what HUD glasses are for if you have a healthy  eye?(theres even glasses with one side only)

Also The HUDpatch Cures Nearsightedness if you do have that disability and if you have the HUDpatch on. working also was prescription glasses, Nearsightedness/Myopia affects both eyes right?

8 hours ago, ben10083 said:

I understand that we acquiesce to efficiency instead of realism for some things, but I feel that might be stretching it, how do we explain ICly that the hudpatch somehow protects the other eye? If we say its wired to the other one as well, how do we explain that you can remove it? There is jsut no feasible IC way for us to explain this. -1

How does the Meson HUDPatch removes all the darkness effects, and allow me to see walls, floors, and stuff through anything?

''An optical meson scanner display that connects directly to the optic nerve of the user, giving you cool green vision at the low cost of your only other eye''

or how does the HUDpatch cures Nearsightedness when on?

How do we have mechanical eyes that have a connection and fully function with the organic human brain? or Robot Limbs/Mechanical Heart?

We could always find a solution/Excuse?  For ex since it connects directly to the optic nerve of the user it injects micro nanomachines/nanites and uses the HUDpatch was hub, reaching to the other eyeball aswell? or by the simple direct connection already does that? without the need of nanomachines. and thats how it sends the HUD data to the other eye in the first place?

 

7 hours ago, Conspiir said:

If we treat it like the HUDsunglasses we currently have, we could make the eyepatch have a "flash protection" mode. Maybe it flicks over a sunglasses lens on the other eye. I feel we really shouldn't be punishing the disabled in this case. Not when the solution is something that could realistically be fixed (literally just putting on sunglasses on your eyepatch or going full Harry Hart and getting one-side-tinted glasses) but can't be done mechanically.

 

As far as being able to take off the patch goes, I presumed there was just a plug-in port you connect the patch to and that you slide the patch over. Either in the socket (ew) or connected to the cheekbone directly below the socket that the patch covers (better).

 

Easiest solution I think would be being able to combine the patch with a sunglasses. But it's... janky. Less-than-ideal.

You sir, got the words i could not find!

''Not when the solution is something that could realistically be fixed , but can't be done mechanically.''

Wanting a Realistic Problem is fine by me, but Wanting Realism without being able to give a realistic solution to that ''Realistic Problem'' because of mechanics its somenthing else that entire ruins the fun.

Edited by Valwyn
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Valwyn said:

Huh, i dont think thats the case at all if you look at the HUDpatch descriptions.

''replacing what you lost in Space 'Nam.'' 

''giving you cool green vision at the low cost of your only other eye.''

Soo you are saying that is a eye patch/HUDpatch.. that covers the entire (healthy) eye just to have HUD?  It have eye patch design , have patch in the name, whats he point of using a patch that covers the eye? missing eye or an eye that was wounded, Dont you think thats what HUD glasses are for if you have a healthy  eye?

Also The HUDpatch Cures Nearsightedness if you do have that disability and if you have the HUDpatch on. working also was prescription glasses, Nearsightedness/Myopia affects both eyes right?

'Replacing what you lost in Space 'Nam', is a joke.

''giving you cool green vision at the low cost of your only other eye.', is just backing what I said. It's for people with both eyes intact. It's connecting to the optic nerve and resting over your eye.

 

Quote

Soo you are saying that is a eye patch/HUDpatch.. that covers the entire (healthy) eye just to have HUD?  It have eye patch design , have patch in the name, whats he point of using a patch that covers the eye? missing eye or an eye that was wounded, Dont you think thats what HUD glasses are for if you have a healthy  eye?

It's a HUD-patch. A Heads-Up-Display, being projected over one eye, rather than both. How can it work, if your eye is missing, or entirely damaged?
 

Quote

Also The HUDpatch Cures Nearsightedness if you do have that disability and if you have the HUDpatch on. working also was prescription glasses, Nearsightedness/Myopia affects both eyes right?

It doesn't cure nearsightedness, it alleviates the lack of sight in that eye. What's your point here, exactly? It, doesn't really make sense. I'm saying if you lack an eye, or it is heavily damaged- you wouldn't be wearing a HUD patch over that eye, just because it has a prescription lense in it. You're saying, "But it says in the description, it'll replace my eye that I lost in the war.", and "It looks similar to an eyepatch, thus has the same purpose.", and, "Well, if it can help me see better, and the game mechanics dictate that it covers both eyes- why not make it work against flashes anyways."

We already said why.
You aren't going to be protected in both your eyes, it only covers one eye.
 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, AmoryBlaine said:

it's a HUD-patch. A Heads-Up-Display, being projected over one eye, rather than both. How can it work, if your eye is missing, or entirely damaged?

 

True it would not work on a missing eye since there would be no Optic Nerver to connect to, but a damaged one why not? connecting to the nerve it would replace the (damaged)eye for the HUD and the new ''eye'' would be the HUD sending the data to the other eye(Thats how i trough this thing worked in the first place) ,  what i meant with the nearsightedness, since we dont have the ''Amblyopia/One Eye Disability'' i used the Nearsightedness, lets say my character have the right eye damaged, and with the HUD off i would get the effects of the Blind Right eye(nearsightedness,) but with the HUDpatch ON and replacing my eye it i would get it back and thus i would see normal again.(Thats what i trough the HUDpatch curing Nearsightedness did)

Instead of Optic Nerve > Eye, Optic Nerve > HUDpatch.

(since its all covered) and that ''Sending HUD data'' to the other eye is where i trough it could implement (the only ''Link'' i could find, trying to be Sci Fi.) the flash immunity.

I'am sorry i confused you, i hope you can understand now how i trough the HUDpatch worked. 

Edit but it turns out you can see with the HUDpatch and its not entire covered? since theres a light on it?

 

 

 

1 hour ago, AmoryBlaine said:

I feel a need to ask-- are you playing a Big Boss-esque character?

Not really my good Sir, i just picked that Avatar because of laziness.

My Character is 56 Years old Solarian Marine. Sol Alliance Military, Major of the 3rd Battalion 8th Solarian Marines ''Wolf Pack'' and also a Ex Member of The Artemis Initiative, Artemis Commander of the 2nd Battalion , 4th Guardsmens, as such he have his Atlas Armbad on his arm and Humanity-First always. (He is Not racist or anything just Prioritize Humanity first, was many elements of alien cultures are very dangerous to humanity.)

Experienced in Fighting pirates and Unathi Raiders.

Because of his Combat Experience Nanotrasen hired him, since he is a retired and old man trying to find a place to settle in and call home he accepted, and started to work on the station.

Thats the summary, i i still have to write all his History.

eh, i had some fun reading the Lore in the wiki. Sorry for the long post...

 

i wish this suggestion was accepted, that would solve ALL the eyepatch and not just the Security, but they did not refuse or accepted, they just abandoned the topic,

 

Edited by Valwyn
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...