Geeves' Developer (Coder) Application

Ckey/BYOND Username: Geeves
Discord Name: Geeves#8863
Position Being Applied For: (coder, mapper, spriter): Coder
Past Experiences/Knowledge: I've been doing Java coding for the past three years. I started coding in DM yesterday, technically, though I have dabbled in it a few months ago.
Examples of Past Work:
 -  The Logifier!
 -  Examine Tweaks
 -  Climbing Tables
 -  Word-based Healthscans
 -  Tweak Thirst-Spawns
 -  Fixing Apostrophes Reverted: Introduced massive security risk! Oops.
 -  Fireaxe Cleavetweaks
 -  ExperiWelder Buffs
Additional Comments: I'm still learning how to map, and I suck ass at spriting, but I can possibly do both. I'm mainly a coder, though.

Edited by geeves
added PR
2 hours ago, Pratepresidenten said:

I dont really know dick about your code and whatever, but you've done great things, ESPECIALLY THE LOGIFIER. Fucking eyesaver.

Good luck, and ily!

❤️

2 minutes ago, ParadoxSpace said:

For what purpose do you want to become a coder?

I've already been working tightly with the administration team behind the scenes, pushing Logifier updates via Prate announcing them on the staff discord. I've also begun coding in DM proper and realized just how much I like doing it. I feel that, as a coder, I'd be able to do both of these much easier, as I'll be able to coordinate with the rest of the development team, instead of waddling about in #code_dungeon only.

I admit, I've only recently released my first batch of PRs, and the very first one I made introduced a security risk, which is pretty funny, to be honest. This may be a bit detrimental to the application, but I don't think it'll be too bad, as long as I don't touch HTML again without being completely sure what I'm doing.

I'm releasing small PRs currently, with the Health Analyzer and Logifier being my largest ones to-date, but I also have a few more larger projects planned, a few of which will only happen as soon as the Construction Overhaul gets finished. All-in-all, I think I'm worth a trial period at the bare minimum. If I screw up with a stupid security risk PR again, or I become inactive with stale PRs or no PRs, then boot me.

• 2 weeks later...

Geeves took the time to help me with my first PR, walking me through every step and then probably walking me through every step a second time. They assisted me with the coding side of things as well and at no point did I feel like they were anything less than genuinely happy to be helping another member of the community. Beyond that, their growing knowledge of the back end of things is formidable and something I have grown to envy. I can't recommend them enough for a developer position.

There work look like they are learning quickly, they seem very passionate about this and motivated to make stuff. I see potential in Geeves in becoming great coder.

There is buts.

There current work in DM is lacking demonstration of there skills. I should tell them to be normal contributor and work on more to improve, but I really don't want to do that. As alternative I suggest them to take on trial project to prove that they are capable of being a coder. The project should be finished or most of it done by the end of there trial.

On 09/06/2019 at 11:29, geeves said:

❤️ admit, I've only recently released my first batch of PRs, and the very first one I made introduced a security risk, which is pretty funny, to be honest. This may be a bit detrimental to the application, but I don't think it'll be too bad, as long as I don't touch HTML again without being completely sure what I'm doing.

That's not your fault for introducing security risk via HTML. HTML hacking is a common issue and it should have been spotted by devs during PR review, it happens.

Your PRs are good, and you are relatively new to contributing on Aurora. I would agree with Karolis, you should take on some project that is medium-big size and have it as part of your dev trial.

• 2 weeks later...

Geeves been regularly showing us all of his new code works, and while they've been generally small, they've been quite numerous and extremely beneficial and are nothing but a positive improvement on the game. He puts a lot of effort into them, and he clearly cares about the server and the community immensely. My actual skill for code is in the negative values, so I can't comment on how its written, but they've all been very good PRs so far, and I can only imagine what he'd bring to the server with a larger sized protect.

A big +1 from me, it goes without saying.

• 1 month later...