Coalf Wiki Developer Application: Mark II

Ckey/BYOND Username: Coalf
Discord Name: Coalf#8195
Position Being Applied For:  Wiki Maintainer
Past Experiences/Knowledge:
I've worked on the wiki extensively as a Tajara deputy, some examples of pages I made from scratch include:
I've also been a moderator and an admin, have extensive experience and history in the staff as general and worked for multiple weeks as a Maintainer for the Lore Application forum before I quit due to internal frustration. And have used the Aurora-WI plenty of times, if that is relevant to wiki maintainers.

Examples of Past Work:
https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Tajara_Fashion
https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Tajaran_Minor_Religions
https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=PRA_Orbital_Fleet_Structure
I further edited and worked on the following pages:
https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=S'rendarr_and_Messa
https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Ma'ta'ke_Gods
https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Notable_Tajara#Bloodstorm

Additional Comments:
It's been more than a month, and I have been recently delving into the wiki and pinging Chada/Matt, then I realized, hey! I can just apply and try to fix it myself.

Spoiler

Also yes I copied the old one, wasn't anything wrong with it. I know why I wasn't accepted in the previous one and I do acknowledge that the tone and style I had used when leaving was unacceptable. Take this as a formal apology.
I do genuinely want to help fix the wiki and fixing the wiki is something I can do, without having to dedicate hours upon hours into playing the game, coding or fixing IC character issues and IR's.

I am spoilering this because it is wholly irrelevant to the application at large and mostly refers to specific people and staff.

Ever since our canoe holiday in Botswana I knew that Coalf had what it takes to be, specifically and in totality, a wikipedia maintainer on a space station 13 server with moderate, stable player numbers. I remember lying in our double sleeping bag looking up at the stars, listening to the cosy buzz of mosquitoes on the lazy river. Coalf would flawless whisper grammatical amendments to sentences he'd heard or read that day, listing recommendations for better page formatting and we'd laugh and carry-on well into the early hours. I like to think I mad more then just a friend those nights. Regardless of my feelings for Coalf, I think we can all agree that he'd make an exceptional member of the wiki maintaining team. He was born for this role. Thank you for listing but before you go I know you might not want to hear this but I'm down on my luck right now having quit the lore team (yes we are salaried) so if you could just give as much as you can to my PayPal so I can maybe buy some new video games that'd be pretty great. This is my fund https://paypal.me/pools/c/8guUp4BTNw

+1 from me

alright screw coalf just hire zundy instead

ok but no coalf is pretty good, a little weird that he's applying for wiki dev instead of taj dev but heyo politics a fuck. coalf has p good work ethic and a reasonably good grasp on aurora and its mechanics. i think he'll make an alright wikidev.

just. chill. yes?

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I still dont feel that the nature of how you left my team and left a manifesto hidden in your sudden resignation post insulting the entire lore team on personal levels and calling me an insane ego maniac, after ghosting on me and dropping all our shared projects on me, can be something you hide an apology for in a spoiler. The fact you hid it in a spoiler and call it unrelated to the application is very dismissive.

I don't want to accept such a casual apology. I still dont believe you should be on this team.

Edited by Marlon Phoenix
3 hours ago, geeves said:

alright screw coalf just hire zundy instead

ok but no coalf is pretty good, a little weird that he's applying for wiki dev instead of taj dev but heyo politics a fuck. coalf has p good work ethic and a reasonably good grasp on aurora and its mechanics. i think he'll make an alright wikidev.

just. chill. yes?

Applications are not open.

1 hour ago, Marlon Phoenix said:

I still dont feel that the nature of how you left my team and left a manifesto hidden in your sudden resignation post insulting the entire lore team on personal levels and calling me an insane ego maniac, after ghosting on me and dropping all our shared projects on me, can be something you hide an apology for in a spoiler. The fact you hid it in a spoiler and call it unrelated to the application is very dismissive.

I don't want to accept such a casual apology. I still dont believe you should be on this team.

Alright since we're bringing it out here, let me address it:

"sudden resignation"
None of what I did was sudden, I spoke to you directly multiple times on multiple issues I had raised in the complaint. I had talked to your regarding this in public, in lore_writers, you usually either left, shrugged me off or told me that I was arguing in  "bad faith". Specifically:

Talked to you regarding Last Jedi in lore_writers when you decided to turn it into a banner of that chat, you told me to go talk about it in off-topic despite you making it a banner. (Yes this is relevant, thinking badly writen movies are good means you are most likely a bad writer, this impacts your performance, mainly when you're the chief director and are responsible for all of it.)
Talked to you regarding the murderer arc and why it was bad in lore_writers.
Talked to you in regards of Pegasus/Zundy and their extremely slow speed in putting colonies on the wiki, literally nothing was done about this to the point where I just ragequit out of the Lore_Application moderator role.
Talked to you about pushing your ideologies in Tajara_Channel.

I had messaged skull about your behaviour twice, to which I was told it would be looked into however due to snippets of conversations I have received recently, apperantly it wasn't even brought up to head_chat. The only time staff ever really replied to my concerns was with Mofo, when I was fed up with your constantly antagonizing me whenever you started losing an argument, about which you apologised, which is why I never held that part against you.
At this point I had tried all staff venues I had seen and none of them seemed to work besides Mofo. Confronting you day-in-day-out would be pointless, as was seen when VT left/was ejected after constant disagreements between you two. Talking to you would have ended absolutely the same way for me.
Staff complaint was already done, I had already complained to staff, the fact they elected to do nothing mean what I had said was either a non-issue in their eyes, a fabrication or they elected to not care.

"post insulting the entire lore team on personal levels and calling me an insane ego maniac"
Yes, which is why I apologised and why I expected a ban, to which I admitted in the start.
But guessing from what Hive posted here earlier with his own manifesto, rightfully calling me out on the shittiness of what I had done, you thought I was planning to martyr myself which is why I suspect I wasn't banned. Due to fear of people picking up the flag of Coalf-Mua'Dib.

No, my manifesto was nothing more than a high-pitched screech of absolute bitching and opinion spewing. I was fed up, I was tired, it was end of the school year and I felt frustrated after getting shrugged off over and over.
Is that excusable? No, I did a terrible fucking thing by insulting you and putting every single speculation in a place where you could not address them in any possible way.
I apologise, I am sorry, I truly am sorry for what I did. It was unfair, scummy and disgusting of me to do that. For someone who keeps preaching openess, public speaking, transparency I had acted suspiciously, sneakily and the least transparently I could. I am sorry. And I thank you for bringing this up here so that I can defend myself, instead of speaking prettied up truths to people behind my back as I had done to you.
I am sorry to JamOfBoy
I am sorry to Kyres
I am sorry to VUX
I am sorry to VTCobaltBlood
I am sorry to NursieKitty
I am sorry to ByGoneHero
I am sorry to ParadoxSpace
I am sorry to Pegasus
I am sorry to Zundy
I am sorry to Alberyk
I am sorry to Mofo1995
I am sorry to Neinbox/ElohiDavnaho
I am sorry to the Developer team, The Admin Team, The CCIA Team, The Wiki Developer Team.

I fully recognize these people don't owe me anything and that my reputation and standing on server is below a first-time player, but I still want to help the server and this is the best way I can.

"after ghosting on me and dropping all our shared projects on me"
I did not drop any projects onto you, I specifically made sure I finished all my projects.
Minor religions - Covered everything I had wanted, didn't have more idea.
Raskara - All three cults fleshed out. FURTHER, I had given over my document and all my notes to you, mofo and alberky in tajara chat, and after I quit I sent it specifically to Mofo.
PRA Fleet - Fleshed out to satisfying amounts for the political time.
S'rrendarmarr/Ma'ta'ke? - Finished and fleshed out.
SolvsTaj - Given to mofo due to my disagreement with Pegasus, this was done months in advance.
Tesla Troopers - Mofo and Alberyk worked on this and as far as I was aware, we were doing something else.
Spacers - Implemented, I had done everything I could have.

ALL my projects were done and finished! I even dropped the drawing of Thorne you asked if you could commission, because it would feel uncomfortable to take your money.
I made SURE everything was done and finished. I was practically sitting around un-occupied.

"The fact you hid it in a spoiler and call it unrelated to the application is very dismissive."
I apologised non-spoilered now.

EDIT: Gramner

Edited by Coalf
3 minutes ago, VTCobaltblood said:

are you sorry for giving me a positive comment?

Well it says I insulted all of the team personally. Frankly I don't really remember the whole thing, I never saved it because I didn't expect to be here after it.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

You're now going back to saying you value me less as a leader and a person because i enjoyed a piece of media that you did not. You still believe all the things you said about me. I'm not sure that your apology is sincere. Therefore i dont think ill be comfortable with you on the team.

I maintain my -1.

4 minutes ago, Marlon Phoenix said:

You're now going back to saying you value me less as a leader and a person because i enjoyed a piece of media that you did not. You still believe all the things you said about me. I'm not sure that your apology is sincere. Therefore i dont think ill be comfortable with you on the team.

I maintain my -1.

I do still hold the position that you are a bad leader and a writer.

But yes, I regret all the insults, I regret attacking your character and you as a person, I regret posting it somewhere where you could not defend yourself in the first place. That was scummy me of me, I made a mistake. Again, I am sorry. I have not acted morally.
However I am still allowed to hold my opinion that you are not capable staff, which is the same opinion you are allowed to hold. Ergo the -1, +1 system we are employing here.

At this point I don't know how to apologise to you, if I bent the knee and said I love your writing and you are a great leader and the sun of my morning, I would be lying, which is even worse than just saying I don't think you're that good at leading or writing, which is just expressing my opinion.

I apologise for attacking you as a person, I apologise for attacking your character, I apologise for posting it in a place where you were unable defend yourself.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I don't need you to compliment my writing. I just need time to decide if I can ever trust you again. I accept your apology. But now isn't the time where I can start to trust you.

Edited by Marlon Phoenix
2 minutes ago, Marlon Phoenix said:

I don't need you to compliment my writing. I just need time to decide if I can ever trust you again. I accept your apology.  but now isn't the time where i can trust you.

I accept that.

Hello! Not much to say except the same stuff as last time, if you can give me your assurance for a second time (You already apologized in your main post and to Jackboot directly, which will work in your favor), then this application will be resolved within 48 hours.

Anyone with objections who wants to voice them should do so in that time period.

I support Coalf wholeheartedly, they have the will to make the community better, and any disagreements with them has always been cast in this light, how to make the community, and Aurora, better. I don't believe past actions should be seen as a negative when this is ultimately all of our goals as staff, admins, coders, wiki maintainers and lore developers.

Edited by Bygonehero

My main concern is that you will use the powers given as wikidev to pull something similar as you did with your resignation letter.

Another concern that has been voiced to me is that you will act as a backseat-lore-writer. 

What is it that you can do as a wiki developer that you can't do via the contributor system we have in place for the wiki? 

10 minutes ago, Arrow768 said:

Another concern that has been voiced to me is that you will act as a backseat-lore-writer. 

Arrow, with the wiki team entirely removed from the Lore teams' channels as of now, this is no longer an issue, even if our team cohesion is suffering as a result, so it wouldn't be fair to vet wiki Staff by that metric anymore.

The other concerns are valid.

I won't, even if again the staff would refuse to address my issues in PMs, I have already expressed disgusting and disagreement with my previous actions.

Define "Backseat-lore-writer". I enjoy lore, I talk about lore, I will continue to talk about lore but I can do that already.
In the terms that I can write new lore on the wiki whenever I want? I mean I guess? But the wiki is instantly reversable and everyone can see that.
In terms of interjecting into lore_chat? Admins, Developers you included, WikiDevs everyone chimes in all the time or at least did when I was a lore_writer. But I guess I can just mute it.

A contributor is effectively identical to a developer, a lore_writer is as effective as someone making a Lore_suggestion application and an ahelp does the same thing a moderator does.

Staff roles serve to streamline the process, direct energy into the proper areas and speed up the effectivness of the team. There is no reason for me to just sit there all day, going up and down the wiki searching for issues if I could instead just have a chat where someone gives me an objective, or directs my attention to a specific area. Yes I could PM chada/Matt whoever constantly throughout the day but that's just dumb.

EDIT: You can scratch the second answer I guess.

Edited by Coalf
21 minutes ago, Coalf said:

In the terms that I can write new lore on the wiki whenever I want? I mean I guess?

Exactly. That is not something that is wanted. 

While you have edit access to the wiki as wiki maintainer, that access may not be used to write your own lore. 

You may use that to correct grammatical, design or other errors that don't change the lore itself.

1 hour ago, Arrow768 said:

Exactly. That is not something that is wanted. 

While you have edit access to the wiki as wiki maintainer, that access may not be used to write your own lore. 

You may use that to correct grammatical, design or other errors that don't change the lore itself.

Yes, I meant it as in "How could I even change it, changing the lore myself?", it was a rhetorical question, not a confirmation of what I want to do.
I have already told Geeves earlier in the thread that I am not applying for a lore developer, yes I intend to in the future, but this is a wiki developer application. I don't plan to subvert lore, change it, add to it etc. That is not my role or my goal, if I wanted to act in this partisan way I could have done it already, wiki-developer or not. The only difference would be that it would get reverted slightly faster.

If your answers satisfy Arrow, I would be willing to accept you. This is on the basis, that you have formally apologized to the effected persons (Especially Marlon) and the seeming support of maaany people here. The assurance you gave puts you on thin ice, however, (And without it I would be denying this) I would be watching you closely. Keep it in mind. 

You also have a fair bit of experience which is being factored in, but that pales in comparison to concerns about Everything else.

This however hinges on Arrow' being satisfied with your answers.

Edited by Chada1
-_- I keep using the old name of a certain someone.
17 minutes ago, Chada1 said:

If your answers satisfy Arrow, I would be willing to accept you. This is on the basis, that you have formally apologized to the effected persons (Especially Marlon) and the seeming support of maaany people here. The assurance you gave puts you on thin ice, however, (And without it I would be denying this) I would be watching you closely. Keep it in mind. 

You also have a fair bit of experience which is being factored in, but that pales in comparison to concerns about Everything else.

This however hinges on Arrow' being satisfied with your answers.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

This application will remain open for 24 hours assuming noone posts any objections, or a discussion isn't underway, otherwise it will be extended until that is settled.

If it passes the 24 hour mark without an objection, or discussion, the application will be processed and you will be accepted onto the team. 

This application can be closed and archived, 24 hours have passed and no further objections have been stated.

Application accepted on the conditions outlined. Keep your guarantee, please.

Edited by Chada1
has vs have.