Jump to content
Scheveningen

[1 dismissal]MPMS - the alternative to ion rifle spam

Recommended Posts

The ion rifle should be gone from the game. It is an intensely low skill ceiling tool with immensely high reward for using it against synthetics, energy weapon users and anyone with the misfortune to have a pacemaker on their character. The ion rifle also completely murders mechs due to having a large capacitor and it is easy to spam on a slow-moving target.

So, what should replace it?
image.png.39c88fd5b359abf1ed94f26d445b2dd0.png

Space SMAW! While the name is inspired from the real-world MANPAD launcher, the Hephaestus MPMS is designed as an affordable dumbfire launcher platform. The MPMS may only fire a single rocket at a time before requiring a lengthy reload period, and after firing 5 rockets with the same launcher, the launcher itself becomes nonfunctional and must be replaced. All additional rockets must be purchased through cargo, with a base price of 1200 credits for each rocket type. Launchers themselves must be paid for in 8,000 credits, through traitors can purchase these as a substantial cost of TC. Features include being able to load rocketry of the following conditions:

HEPH-MPMS Halicon Rocket: Functions as a weak sabot that deals substantial damage if it directly hits, along with a very mild damaging explosion. Additionally, explodes with a 5x5 heavy and light radius of EMP, devastating anything electronic in the general vicinity. One rocket spawns loaded in a HEPH-MPMS by default, in addition to one more rocket in the armory closet of where the ion rifle used to be, for a grand total of 2 rockets that can be found on the station. May travel 6 tiles before 'dropping' and detonating. Can be purchased through cargo.
HEPH-MPMS Sabot Rocket: Functions as a strong sabot with very weak area of effect and explosion, but deals incredibly heavy direct damage and ignores all armor, and also pierces through a limited amount of walls, splitting shrapnel everywhere it passes. Designed for direct heavy damage on a singular target, or for puncturing through obstructions such as walls. Has unlimited range, detonates only after piercing through enough walls or striking a living mob. Will devastate, force open and psuedo-emag through airlocks. Can be purchased through cargo.
HEPH-MPMS Airburst Rocket: Functions as a weak sabot with high area of effect and deadly explosive damage, in addition to setting the atmosphere aflame if there is oxygen in the air. Possesses a oxygen-phoron catalyst to instantly ignite a general area while also dealing heavy explosive damage. As a smart airburst system, detonates after travelling 4 tiles. Can be purchased through cargo.
HEPH-MPMS Fragmentation Rocket: Functions as a mild sabot that explodes with twice as much shrapnel as a fragmentation grenade when it explodes. Travels 4 tiles before automatically exploding. Purchased via a traitor uplink only.

The above are suggestions largely to get the ion rifle out of the game while simultaneously offering more options with the launcher system that intends to replace it. It will still be a situational tool that the ion rifle was originally intended to be, but patient usage of it can impact the outcome of a round just as well as the ion rifle can now with no patience at all. And I guess some people would appreciate being able to be "i am rockt guy" for however long that lasts.

Share this post


Link to post

So you are saying that it should be like this:
Officer "Fuck, this IPC went nuts and killed 3 crew members. We gotta take him down, but nothing works... except for this thing called HEP-MPMS"

Cadet: "Okay, let's use this thing to take that son of a bitch down!"
Officer brings HEP-MPMS
Cadet: " Woah... what the heck is that? Are you saying we are gonna take IPC down with a freaking rocket launcher?"
Officer: "Well yeah, there is no other way."
Cadet: "What if we miss and hit something important, won't it blow up whole room?"
Officer: "Well, we better not miss or we are fucked"

Edited by PoZe

Share this post


Link to post

We could nerf Ion rifle by increasing fire delay substantially. 

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe make it an anti-riot launcher that can shoot individual ion (and tear gas?) shells without the risk of venting the station.

3 hours ago, PoZe said:

Cadet: "What if we miss and hit something important, won't it blow up whole room?"
Officer: "Well, we better not miss or we are fucked"

 

Edited by UncleJo

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, PoZe said:

So you are saying that it should be like this:
Officer "Fuck, this IPC went nuts and killed 3 crew members. We gotta take him down, but nothing works... except for this thing called HEP-MPMS"

Cadet: "Okay, let's use this thing to take that son of a bitch down!"
Officer brings HEP-MPMS
Cadet: " Woah... what the heck is that? Are you saying we are gonna take IPC down with a freaking rocket launcher?"
Officer: "Well yeah, there is no other way."
Cadet: "What if we miss and hit something important, won't it blow up whole room?"
Officer: "Well, we better not miss or we are fucked"

yes. The entire dilemma would pretty much restrict the space SMAW outside of ideal circumstances, otherwise whoever shoots it pays a heavy price of consequence. As well as any victim, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post

A rocket launcher of any variety on a space station sounds like a terrible idea, but don't even get me started on a rocket launcher being used on a facility where Phoron is mined and refined regularly, where Phoron exists in gaseous and liquid form in several places, and where welder tanks are literally absolutely everywhere in maintenance.

I'm also on board with wanting the ion rifle either gone or severely nerfed, but I think replacing it with a rocket launcher is a bad idea. Is adding a rocket launcher to code a cool idea? Absolutely, and I'd be super down for that. But having it replace the ion rifle in the armoury sounds like an absolute cataclysm waiting to happen; the potential for collateral damage is nearly excessive.

Share this post


Link to post

I highly doubt even the most ruthless of corporations would give all their stations a RPG, and I feel that this would be worse as it would shut down any antag team given a well placed shot.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, furrycactus said:

A rocket launcher of any variety on a space station sounds like a terrible idea, but don't even get me started on a rocket launcher being used on a facility where Phoron is mined and refined regularly, where Phoron exists in gaseous and liquid form in several places, and where welder tanks are literally absolutely everywhere in maintenance.

I'm also on board with wanting the ion rifle either gone or severely nerfed, but I think replacing it with a rocket launcher is a bad idea. Is adding a rocket launcher to code a cool idea? Absolutely, and I'd be super down for that. But having it replace the ion rifle in the armoury sounds like an absolute cataclysm waiting to happen; the potential for collateral damage is nearly excessive.

Vaurca breathe flammable gas so this is a very good point in the first part. The Ion does need a nerf as well

Share this post


Link to post

If the ion needs change, adding a rocket launcher is not the way to go.

Voting for dismissal.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...