Removing the appendicitis

Resulting in the "conflicts" on this PR: https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/6978

Appndicitis is an imersion breaking event that put itself in the way of people trying to roleplay, also that you can literally have this thing 15 times with your character.  Let's also add the fact that if there's no surgeons onboard, RNG is basically removing you from the game(game is powergaming, ban please) because you die at stage 4.

Please remove it ASAP yes yes yeah yeah yes please.

Getting your appendix removed like 5 times is incredibly stupid, and if you get it during deadhour you're basically dying. Yeah, it's possible to keep someone alive with a ruptured appendix, but it's difficult and a huge pain in the ass, and not something we should have to deal with. Otherwise, add some other way to fix it that isn't literally only surgery.

+1

I'm not even sure why this warrants a feedback thread. It's annoying, it's immersion-breaking, and medical has plenty to do in most rounds anyway.

The other option would be a persistent flag that indicates a character had the removal, thereby preventing repeat operations. This seems like a much simpler solution, since I don't think random appendicitis is adding much to anyone's roleplay.

Big +1

As a a medical main, please for the love of God remove Appendicitis.

It is pretty much what the other posts in this thread have mentioned. It's immersion breaking, unrealistic in the way you can get Appendicitis in the same character 9+ times, it simply removes you from the round if there's no one else who can remove it, and it's nearly impossible to keep alive at stage 4. The treatment basically boils down to "remove it or die" in a short period of time, which further derails whatever scenario there is to treat one person only.

Please remove it.

+1

Guest Marlon Phoenix

It's fun to encounter and can add a random element to a round. At least give us the option of removing our appendix in char set up instead of removing it entirely.

I don't find it immersion breaking. -1

No it's not, lol. You'll just create a new metagame for always removing your appendix and in a very roundabout way just make the event punishing for newbies, or you'll have situations where the event triggers and everyone is already removed their appendix. Given an option between opting into an extremely frustrating random event and not doing so most people will pick no.

Most people don't preemptively cut out thier appendix. Just remove the event, we don't really need it.

Edited by Kaed

While I did propose a flag to indicate the organ was removed, I am still highly in favor of the outright removal of appendicitis. If there are no surgeons, you suffer and die. If I wanted RNG to kill me with abysmally low odds, I'd play fire emblem.

Now, we COULD do a lot of things to improve this. We could make a flag. We could make it a character select option. We could make it so the "event" only happens when medbay has a surgeon. We could make it less lethal. We could reduce the odds further.

But at this point, I ask why we would make so many edits to save this random happening. What is lost by its removal? Some people may like it, but many people also do not. Personal preference aside, I don't see why we should do so much to keep an RNG happening that rarely adds things to rounds, and has a good chance of removing someone from it. So my support is still with the PR as presented.

You know, an elegant solution is for it to not actually deal any damage, just hurt.

so you could just ask for some over-the-counter traumadol and ignore it for the rest of the round

you have the choice of RP-ing it out.

So everyone is happy. People who want the mechanic inside and the people who don't can just ignore it.

Hell, even reduce the chance of getting appendicitis. 

Edited by wowzewow

That could work really. Just having it hurt and being annoying instead of /deadly/. I can sit behind most of this tbh. Removing the mechanic totally, changing it where it doesn't kill you or maybe even just minor minor minor damage. Like 2 brute in the lower body, Idfk. But yeah. There have been so many times where I've been playing Zane (Vol.) Miller and my appendix thought: "This is a great time to murder you." in middle of the operation. Appendix man bad. 

But yeah without a good medical staff or someone willing to brush the line of power-game, this is round ending mechanic as it is. Hopefully this thread does see it changed or improved on.

Edited by LordPwner
Wanted to clarify ending statement

At first glance I was against this until reading the thread. On low pop this can effectively force someone to cryo, and that's no fun.

If people want to keep it, is there a possibility we can add a medication that can cure it? That way if you have a chemist but no surgeon, theres a higher chance the appendicitis can be resolved. 

Okay, I closed the PR because removing it completly is apparently not the good solution. I'm going to think more deeply when I have time to this, perhaps make it a removal organ in the character selection. Thank you everyone for giving your feedback!

Devs sweeties, you can lock and archive.