[ACCEPTED] WickedCybs - Command App

BYOND key: WickedCybs

Character names: Val Xiram, Vael Zuuxix, Ilirium Verana, Informer, Sylvaoo Quvu, A.C.E.S, Sirius-70

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: It is probably around two months at this point.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: I am a big fan of engineering and those within it, and I think it would be an interesting development in a current character arc. That said, I do know the responsibilities attached and I’ve been trying things out by acting as an interim head every now and then.

Why did you come to Aurora?: Burnout on another HRP server and the want to try something new. It’s been worthwhile so far I would say

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?: I have.

Have you received any administrative actions? And how serious were they? Yes, a warning about metagaming (used knowledge a character should not know/think oddly about ICly), which I would say is on the upper end when it comes to serious missteps.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

Playing the part of a character, with other people doing the same as well. It’s great because it gives people the chance to play out some interesting situations and put themselves into a person who may be like them but not quite, or perhaps not at all. You play people, they should have their own hopes and dreams, thoughts and fears. It is also not limited to reality, and that tends to make it a lot more fun. The setting is a universe where humanity exists alongside other intelligent life, and they intermingle. The established lore and general theme keeping things cohesive and adding immersion to the setting. Add in dastardly antagonists and events to react to, and you have a good environment to let role-play shine. It should of course, be enjoyable too.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

They’re the leaders and managers of their departments. Naturally, they tend to be the “face” that is seen the most by the rest of command and the very presence of a departmental head of staff can serve to involve the rest of their department further into a round and keep them from feeling left out via being their link to command. They are also round movers and a good head of staff can contribute to a round greatly, either by being an active participant in some plot or as the target in another persons scheme, among other things. While expected to be competent and knowledgeable, they’re not paragons of perfection. They’re still people with strengths and weaknesses.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

Keep rounds engaging when you can, guide those within your department and those without it, if it calls for it. Acting as the best example you can be when it comes to being a believable character, essentially. As a whitelist holder, you would be in the spotlight far more, and with that light shone on you its a good chance to show your stuff and you are capable of. I know I have been wanting to follow the example of a few CE’s recently when it comes to their roleplay. This extends both IC and OOC when it comes to conducting yourself. Being a good member of the community is just as important as being a good roleplayer in round.

Could you give us the gist of what is currently happening in Tau ceti and how it affected your character and their career?

The whole business with the Jargon Federation is very fresh on peoples minds still. For those there for the climax, it’s something they would not be forgetting anytime soon. This is especially the case for Val Xiram, a station engineer and born Federation citizen who had their faith in their nation shaken. Becoming privy to all sorts of troubling and interesting things over the course of the last two warbling events has all but ensured going home could be a one way ticket to a tagging should the Federation delve into their mind… or something gets let slip. So Val looks to the future. Tau Ceti is going to be home for longer than expected. While originally content to be a station engineer in the short term, now that they have to think farther ahead they are aiming higher in their efforts for a better life. Thanks to their skillset and knowledge obtained from their Federation education and general experience. Becoming a Chief Engineer could be a very real possibility, and they’ve been volunteering for interim every now and then to see how they would fare. Sloan’s encouragement has also rubbed off of her, though she wouldn’t tell him that.

What roles do you plan on playing after the application is accepted?

Only Chief Engineer really. I don’t see myself doing anything else, except maybe consular sometime in the very distant future if I dream up a concept.

Characters you intend to use for command or have created for command. Include the job they will be taking.:

Val Xiram - Chief Engineer

I’m kind of envisioning them as a “skeleton-crew” kind of head that is slotted into a role above the usual responsibilities of a station engineer from time to time due to their current experience level when it comes to leadership, but I will have to see how things end up. Perhaps they’ll end up really coming into their own. I was interim in high-pop recently, and I would say that went pretty well. If this does get accepted, the trial may see an arc with them getting settled into the position, and then I would see if they stick with it or maintain being a station engineer. The latter would actually open up me playing another character in the department since I would still want to CE, just as someone else.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:

I am not one for ratings, though maybe a seven out of ten. I try my best, and I think I've been improving. Making less mistakes.

Do you understand your whitelist is not permanent, and may be stripped following continuous administrative action?

Yep.

Have you familiarize yourself with the wiki pages for the command roles?

Yes.

Extra notes:

None.

Edited by MattAtlas

Hewwo, it is I, Pwat.

Just a lil clarification question for you. Ive caught you a few times SSD strapped to a chair in engineering, and I recall one time you crashing in the little pump room down in atmos after loocing about shitnet. Are some of these intentional, and is your net stable enough for us not to find you laid out somewhere as CE?

9 hours ago, Pratepresidenten said:

Hewwo, it is I, Pwat.

Just a lil clarification question for you. Ive caught you a few times SSD strapped to a chair in engineering, and I recall one time you crashing in the little pump room down in atmos after loocing about shitnet. Are some of these intentional, and is your net stable enough for us not to find you laid out somewhere as CE?

My inactivity in those situations is intentional in most to all cases, trying to see what my cat got into again or other things. I do make sure to take those absences when the effect will be felt the least, so not during a critical hull breach or anything. My apartment is pretty small, so while I do my thing I also check up on the game log in case I'm missing something important. People are informed when I need to be away a bit, when possible. All in all, these are not that long and I'm active for the vast majority of a round, if not all of it. I'd be cryoing if something really demanded my attention outside the game for a long while.

As for my internet, I don't think I called it outright bad, it can be laggy sometimes, mostly stable. My crashes or disconnects are due to another thing, some BYOND issues that either freezes the client totally, or renders my viewport being frozen while the game itself is still active. These are a very rare occurrence. If I'm ever laid out, you can generally trust I'll I return within a minute to two as BYOND is restarting. Nobody has had to cryo me yet ?.

I've only recently begun playing in Engineering. Specifically, an apprentice, as I knew next to nothing about the department besides some very bare-bones wiki reading and wanted to actually learn it in-depth. My small brain has issues with things like pipes and powernet and I was hoping to learn more in-depth in game in a way that might be easier for me. Val's been around for a good chunk of my apprentice rounds, both as a regular engineer and a Chief Engineer, and every time they've been an absolute joy to roleplay with. They've been very gentle with me as a player, making sure I'm following along both ICly and OOCly, and that in my opinion is something that is paramount to a command whitelist - being able to promote a healthy game atmosphere for both characters and players. Between him and another Chief Engineer that I won't mention, as it's not relevant, I've actually felt like I've learned a good chunk of Engineering and that I'm not being laughed at behind my back. I 100% believe that giving a whitelist here is reasonable, even though I've only recently begun interacting with him. Definite +1 from me.

WickedCybs themselves are pretty chill person that I've seen, and it's an absolute blast to roleplay with them when I can. They know the engineering mechanics well, and Val from what I've observed is a very well roleplayed leader helping out apprentices when needed, and directed the department in times of crisis. I have full faith in Wicked to be able to hold a whitelist to a high standard +1.

Edited by Brayce

Cybs is somebody I've known for a couple months now, and they've always been good at roleplaying. My rounds with Val as a CE have demonstrated that they understand the mechanical side of engineering, and that they can uphold the standards of a whitelist - I often see them helping new or struggling engineers as the round goes along. This application has my support, and I hope to see more of the doomer banana skrell as a chief engineer.

I really like Cybs. They helped me a lot in engineering, as I said before. Now, I sadly haven't been on quite as much the past few days, but when I did, Val was there usually as the Chief.

Each time, I could not see them very often IC, but the good thing about CE's: You don't necessarily need to see them, to see their effects. Breaches, and other engineering troubles are handled well. Also, they fixed lights for my Diona, so immediate +1

I'll probably update this, if I see more noteworthy things to mention.