Medical roles: The updatening!

Hello, everyone!
Considering the many changes the Medbay has gone through as of late, we have decided that it is time to clarify and re-establish the qualifications, roles and expectations of each job in medical. Although it may seem that not a lot has changed, we still urge everyone to read through these.

Roles and qualifications:

• Medical intern (18 years old minimum)

Enrolled in any Medical Institute

• Emergency Medical Technician (22)

EMT Certification (2 years)

• Physician (30 years old minimum)

M.D. +2 years of residency.

• Surgeon (30 years old minimum)

M.D. +7 years of residence(due to extensive training needed to operate on various species).

• Chemist (26 years old minimum)

Masters in chemistry. 2 years Residency at accredited hospital or clinic.

• Psychiatrist (30 years old minimum)

M.D. from accredited university in applicable field, 5+ years experience in related field preferred.

• Psychologist (30 years old minimum)

Ph.D. from accredited university in applicable field, 5+ years experience in related field preferred.

• Chief Medical Officer (35 years old minimum)

Wide hips, beautiful smile, blue hair in a floor length braid + 1 week of a creative writing workshop.

M.D., Bachelors in Management, 5 years of medical experience.

Expectations, Do’s and Don’ts:

All medical staff Do's and Dont's

• Standard medical kits*: All medical staff
  • Advanced scanner: All medical staff
  • Cryopods: All medical staff
  • Sleepers: Medically trained.
  • IVs: Medically trained.

*For clarification, "Standard medical kits" does not include surgical, combat, or any other snowflake medical kit that doesn't spawn in medical.

--

Medical Intern

• The entry role into medical. You are fresh out of medical school and your day consists of helping out in medical and getting all the practical experience you can for a future specialization within the medical field.

You are medically trained, but you need supervision.

Emergency Medical Technician

• EMT is normally a young first responder. They can stabilize/offer general treatment in sleeper beds.
  • They should bring their retrieved patients to Physicians and then step back.
  • Should NOT be treating patients in the GTR or ICU if there are other staff to do such.

NEVER do surgery or chemistry.

Physician

• Expected to do all the general treatments and scheduled exams. They should NOT be performing the jobs of specialized roles if there is staff for those jobs already.
  • Can do basic surgical procedures, as well as heart and lung repair, but should defer to a Surgeon if present.
  • Can cut open hardsuits.
  • In the case of assisted or mechanical heart and/or lungs, Physicians should defer to the Robotics division, if present.

NEVER do chemistry.

Surgeon

• The only ones other than the CMO that should be doing surgery in standard situations. They should NOT be taking in-patients unless there are no Physicians or Trauma Physicians. They are the ONLY ones (other than the CMO) that can do specialized surgeries. It is VERY unusual for surgeons to sidestep other medical staff to handle people in the GTR or ICU, and should get slapped away.
  • Can cut open hardsuits.
  • In the case of installation and repairs of prosthetics, assisted or mechanical organs, augments, or implants, Surgeons should defer to the Robotics division, if present.

NEVER do chemistry.

Chemist

• Mix chemicals for medical and ensure there is an adequate supply of various medicine in the medical fridge.
  • Should never assist with patient care as a physician or doctor would, but can offer first aid in an emergency if they possess a certification for such.
  • A chemist is not medically trained.

NEVER do surgery.

Psychologist

• Mental health professionals who cater to the psychological needs of the crew. Many hold PhDs and are referred to as “doctor”, but they don’t possess a medical doctorate, and thus aren’t medical doctors. They are capable of diagnosis and treatment, but don’t have the qualifications to prescribe medication and thus should never try to do so.
  • Should never assist with patient care as a physician or doctor would, but can offer first aid in an emergency if they possess a certification for such.

NEVER do chemistry or surgery.

Psychiatrist

• A psychiatrist is a physician with a psychology degree. They have the ability diagnose, and treat mental illness, and to write prescription medication to their patients if deemed necessary. They can triage and help with regular patients in an emergency.

NEVER do surgery or chemistry.

Chief Medical Officer

• Can do literally anything, and must be 23.
  • The CMO should not be a super doctor. They are management and they are discouraged from doing anything that they have the staff available to do. That said, we should strike a balance between being a 'super doctor' and being a hands off supervisor. If there are no surgeons or chemists, the CMO can fill in for empty roles IF SUCH IS WITHIN THE CHARACTER’S QUALIFICATION. It is acceptable for a CMO to be able to make standard medical treatments in the pharmacy. For a rule of thumb, they should always ask for help from an available staffer.

To clarify, this is not a major overhaul of medical and its roles. Most have been unchanged since 2017. If you want something changed, make a suggestion thread about it.

Small correction. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor specialized in psychiatry. Some do have degrees in psychology, but a doctorate needed for psychiatry would be a Medical Doctorate (M.D.) instead of a doctorate in psychology, which is is a philosophy doctorate (Ph.D.) or on rare occasions, its own doctorate of study (Psy.D.). Having a degree in psychology in my opinion should not be a requirement in order to be a psychiatrist, but a medical doctorate specialized into psychiatry should.

Also, where are the qualifications/rules for chemist/pharmacist? Has the role been changed somehow and I wasn't paying attention?

Edited by TheBurninSherman
Added chemist comment.

Here's the new chart for surgical qualifications as well, by the way.

As a note, this only applies for surgery on organics. Robotics staff can perform plastic surgery and shrapnel removal on synthetics, but Physicians, Trauma Physicians, and Surgeons cannot.

DgeiqPi.png?width=478&height=671

Edited by furrycactus
Clarification.
1 hour ago, TheBurninSherman said:

Small correction. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor specialized in psychiatry.

Fixed!

1 hour ago, TheBurninSherman said:

Also, where are the qualifications/rules for chemist/pharmacist? Has the role been changed somehow and I wasn't paying attention?

Chemist wasnt touched as they've pretty much reverted to their former state as virology was nuked, I could add it if its wanted.

7 minutes ago, Roostercat said:

so, despite the large amount of nos, the age bump went through. Wild.

Oversight! Blame borya. Woooop fixed!

7 hours ago, Carver said:

Shame the age bump didn't go through. No psychologist qualifications?

The psychologist/psychiatrist wasnt really touched, so they have the same qualifications, just need to shove in a PHD instead of an MD. Ive added them on the board.

14 minutes ago, Seeli said:

Can chemist/pharmacist please be included? :3c
Qualifications/rules, I mean

Added!

Personally I think this update is superfluous if only because I think the foundation of the roles is rotten to the core. Why do we still have the same titles we do in 2020, the same responsibilities, and the same educational standards (AND THEY'RE LONGER TOO.) To quote @MoondancerPony, why does it take 20 years to become a surgeon out of high school but we've improved way past paracetamol, a foundation of modern medicine for its unique medical properties. If we can invent new medications, we can surely go buck wild with what we have on the table here. Also, Biomechanical Engineer is pretty much bloat to begin with. Biomechanics has nothing to do with augmentation. It's just the study of human musculature.

29 minutes ago, Snakebittenn said:

Personally I think this update is superfluous if only because I think the foundation of the roles is rotten to the core. Why do we still have the same titles we do in 2020, the same responsibilities, and the same educational standards (AND THEY'RE LONGER TOO.)

This is fair.

why does it take 20 years to become a surgeon out of high school but we've improved way past paracetamol, a foundation of modern medicine for its unique medical properties. If we can invent new medications, we can surely go buck wild with what we have on the table here.

This is not, it's not a slippery slope, you need a better argument than X was done so C can also be done. (Make a suggestion thread/PR with a convincing proposal like I did)

Also, Biomechanical Engineer is pretty much bloat to begin with. Biomechanics has nothing to do with augmentation. It's just the study of human musculature.

When it comes to attaching a mechanical arm/leg/etc to nerves + muscle in the associated limb, I'd say being v. educated in human musculature is p. darn important so this is a non-point too.

Also, I agree these new restrictions are too extreme. Surgeon being able to do everything and not being limited from anything is crazy.

Edited by Chada1
23 hours ago, Pratepresidenten said:

Nurse

• A nurse is medically trained, and they're meant to assist doctors and do paperwork, not treat patients on their own.
  • Nurses are here to keep records updated and be a helpful assistant for medical staff. Nurses are the ones you call to help you with the IV, or to print out a scan for you, or to run and get you those pills you need.

NEVER do surgery or chemistry, but they can assist in these roles.

I don't think that nurses should be restricted to that, this feel more like the field of the learning roles like the interns. I see no problem with them treating people with medical packs and the like, nothing too complex.

5 minutes ago, Alberyk said:

I don't think that nurses should be restricted to that, this feel more like the field of the learning roles like the interns. I see no problem with them treating people with medical packs and the like, nothing too complex.

Completely on board with this, I guess I overlooked this earlier.

To clarify everyone, and as Ive added to the main post.

This re-clarification of the roles isnt a major overhaul of medical and its roles.

Most of everything here has been untouched since the great reform of 2017.

The only big change was that references to cloning and virology and its roles have been removed, and the trauma physician was fleshed out a little to clear up issues we've had with them doing all kinds of surgery.