Haydizzle's Spriter Appy

Ckey/BYOND Username: Haydizzle
Discord Name: Petrichor#0098
Position Being Applied For: Spriter
Past Experiences/Knowledge: I have a strong artistic background in digital art and graphic design. Most of it came from practice and self-teaching, and in recent years, I've gotten some education in that regards working towards an undergrad in digital art. I don't have much (recent) experience with pixel art as a genre; however, my knowledge on the subject has helped me pick up spriting by not only applying art techniques to designs, but also by prototyping my work with sketches before spriting it. Besides spriting, I had some previous experience learning Python back in high school in addition to using Git for some coding classes— a lot of that knowledge is useless now, though having an understanding of how to think like a coder has helped me work through some PRs, find issues, and problem solve to a degree.

Examples of Past Work: Some sprites I've designed for unathi, including a PR that's still up: https://imgur.com/a/pnyGBf4 https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/11840
Changed the hide mantle sprites: https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/11764
I made this thing too that Geeves coded in: https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/11637
There are a couple bugfixes and simple lore request PRs on there as well, not too relevant here though but just in case: https://github.com/Haydizzle
A forum post with some of my (older) art as I picked back up digital drawing:

Additional Comments: I understand that there's not a lot of previous experience here for pixel art specifically. Due to how quickly I picked up spriting in addition to the compliments and urging I've gotten from some however, I figured it would be worth a shot to apply since being in the position means I can coordinate better with devs and other spriters. I've worked solely on unathi stuff until now due to feeling empowered to do so as the lore dev for the species, though I am looking to branch out. Less relevant but I've enjoyed being approached about sprites for opinions in the past and helping people figure out their drawing/spriting environment in programs like paint.net, GIMP, FireAlpaca, Aseprite, and others, so maybe this position would make me more visible for helping others I guess. Also Geeves cajoled me into doing this.

Edited by Haydizzle
spelling errors hate it here

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Anyway. 

Haydizzle
Pros:

• Hes already a member of staff (thereby trustworthy)
  • Idk, it looks like he can sprite?? (You should check out his Unathi Clothings its top tear)
  • Hes sorta dumb, but he knows coding... (Hes done a few coding projects)

Cons:

• Hes a Scalie
  • Hes a fucking menace to society

Sadly, my pros outweigh my cons, so Im forced to do this....

+1

Edited by Caelphon
cant spell lol

They're knowledgeable when it comes to art and the recent PR's Haydizzle has made are rather well done. They also tend to be someone I get advice from regarding sprites. Not much content right now, like he says but I'm pretty confident we'll be seeing more great things. Good luck with the app.

Edited by WickedCybs

Back when I was making the Vaurca augment sprites Haydizzle was one of the people guiding my pepsi-fueled hunk of meat brain through the process of learning how to sprite with paint.net, and without his help it would have taken SIGNIFICANTLY longer to do, so I am confident he will be able to contribute well as a spriter, not to mention the work he has already done is exemplary. +1

So I was convinced you had sprited more than what was actually the case. I looked through the changelog entries and I only found three matches for your name and they're all clothes. Spriters are expected to handle more than just that - how can I be sure you'll handle things like floor sprites or wall sprites or a conversion to 3/4 or new machinery sprites if you haven't done anything of that sort?

Ability to sprite clothes doesn't really translate into any of those is my point and to my knowledge you've only made one spriting PR so far, which I was willing to excuse earlier since I thought you had more PR'd by others, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Am I wrong here? If not, I think you need more sprite PRs to be really considered as a viable candidate.

Most of my attention has been on clothes, but per some requests and asking around on Discord, I've picked up a couple of other items to resprite and give some love, namely some security items, like cuffs and flashes, and old jumpsuit sprites. Otherwise, some more unathi stuff is shaping up to be a couple instruments, some shrines/totemic style objects of worship, and even some Moghean animals. I will be sure to link some PRs in the coming days when they're up for grabs.

Of course, if any devs have any recommendations on things for me to sprite, to showcase some more of my style, I would be happy to oblige there as well!

• 5 months later...