NBT Jobs Division Feedback

Alberyk

Since we are changing to a ship, some jobs and departments are being changed to better accommodate the new setting. This is not definitive and we are willing to change it based on feedback and future testing.

What was not changed:

Medical, security, and engineering (the only difference is that station engineers will be renamed to engineers) are the same.

What was changed:

Command staff:

Head of personnel will be renamed to Executive Officer: the job won't control the cargo/operations department, but it will be in charge of the general bridge operations, id changes, staff assignments, and usual hop duties. They are not the second in command.

A new non-whitelisted job with three slots will be added, the bridge crew. They will be responsible for managing the bridge consoles, overmap controls, and shuttles. They don't have any authority over the crew.

Cargo:

A new whitelist head of staff job was added: operations manager. They will handle cargo, supplying the ship, and the hangar operations. The quartermaster job will be removed in favor of the operations manager.

argo has been renamed to operations since they will be tasked with supply and the hangar related tasks.

Cargo technicians will be renamed to Hangar Technicians. They will do the same things that regular cargo techs did, plus being tasked with loading the shuttles and other hangar tasks. They will have three slots

Shaft miners will be renamed to Prospectors. They will remain essentially the same, the difference is that they will have to leave the ship to go mine. The drill technician alt title will be removed. They will have three slots.

The operations department will get a new job: Machinist. This will job will inherit most of the robotics duties, with the exception of non-ipc surgery. They will still be able to build borgs, exosuits, general exploration equipment, and repair ipcs. They won't be able to do surgeries like installing prosthetics, medical will have to do that instead.

Science:

Science is the same, with the exception of losing the roboticist slots. We will like give them a bigger role in the expeditions.

Service:

A new job will be added to the service department: Service Manager. This job is not whitelisted and not a head of staff; it is similar to how the quartermaster works now. They will be tasked with managing the service department, alongside with having access to the service account. They will answer directly to the Executive Officer.

Misc:

Visitors have been separated into two jobs: 

Off-duty Crewmember: essentially visitor for people that work in the ship. Current visitor access restrictions apply to them.

Passenger: people that don't work in the ship but are around. Current visitor access restrictions apply to them.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have already said it before and I'll say it again: Rename Head of Security to Chief of Security. We are moving towards real life job titles with the rest - do it here, too. Head of Security is just a very weird title. Chief of Security is a title that sounds better and falls more in-line with the rest of the job titles. 

4 minutes ago, Alberyk said:

Service:

A new job will be added to the service department: Service Manager. This job is not whitelisted and not a head of staff; it is similar to how the quartermaster works now. They will be tasked with managing the service department, alongside with having access to the service account. They will answer directly to the Executive Officer.

So is this still being debated within this thread, or is this confirmed.

Edited by Triogenix
Just now, Alberyk said:

I like everything about this post except the service manager role. quartermaster already has very little authority without Executive Officer / HoP reinforcement, and this seems like more of a micro-manager role if anything. i do not think we should have the bartender / kitchen staff restricted by having someone manage them.

2 minutes ago, KingOfThePing said:

I have already said it before and I'll say it again: Rename Head of Security to Chief of Security. We are moving towards real life job titles with the rest - do it here, too. Head of Security is just a very weird title. Chief of Security is a title that sounds better and falls more in-line with the rest of the job titles. 

Yeah, this.

8 minutes ago, Triogenix said:

So is this still being debated within this thread, or is this confirmed.

12 minutes ago, Alberyk said:

This is not definitive and we are willing to change it based on feedback and future testing.

10 minutes ago, KingOfThePing said:

We want to avoid as much as renaming things because it will add even more moving parts to an already giant project. Stuff that was renamed was only done so when they had any changes in the job or did not make sense with the setting, like station engineering. Renaming them is a bit out of the scopes of the job changes. It can be done later when there is less going on.

12 minutes ago, Alberyk said:

I still don't think service manager is a good idea considering how quartermaster is, and with this just being service QM.

Edited by NG+7 Gael

I dislike the XO not being a second in command. Realistically they're a second in command in the sense that they are the CO by direction when the CO isn't there, and can take on duties for the CO to alleviate their workload as well as handing paperwork for them. They're a second in command, but in the sense of being them when they aren't there.

1 minute ago, restricted said:

I dislike the XO not being a second in command. Realistically they're a second in command in the sense that they are the CO by direction when the CO isn't there, and can take on duties for the CO to alleviate their workload as well as handing paperwork for them. They're a second in command, but in the sense of being them when they aren't there.

We are not interested in changing how the current chain of command works. We also won't have a CO, it will be still named captain.

1 minute ago, Alberyk said:

We are not interested in changing how the current chain of command works. We also won't have a CO, it will be still named captain.

That's fair. Will you be utilizing the nonjudicial processes typically seen on most ships in regards to "Captain's law," or will it mirror the current corporate law we have?

Just now, greenjoe said:

is bridge crew the name decided on for them? It feels somewhat odd for the name of a job assignment you'd see on the crew manifest

26 minutes ago, Alberyk said:

This is not definitive and we are willing to change it based on feedback and future testing.

5 minutes ago, restricted said:

That's fair. Will you be utilizing the nonjudicial processes typically seen on most ships in regards to "Captain's law," or will it mirror the current corporate law we have?

Regulations changes have not been discussed yet. Any changes will be announced later.

50 minutes ago, KingOfThePing said:

Big fan of all of the changes outlined here, though I would like to second this and request HoS be renamed to CoS.

As for "bridge crew" as a name, this feels off. I would recommend "Bridge Technician" or something similarly technical.

So I'm going to make a potentially controversial suggestion here.

Currently there is one thing in science that doesn't make a lot of sence, and that's the protolathe and the whole dealio with them producing new devices that are apparently 'novel experiments'. The reality is that we all know they already exist - they're never that surprising.

Could I recommend it gets moved to supply too, under the title fabrication. I already know of a friend who has a 3d printer on his ship in the Navy for small parts - it makes a lot of sense that a long range vessel would have self-replication capacity that perhaps could have some spicy designs recovered and uploaded onto it found by exploration / miners. Say the fabricator has DRM or something.

23 minutes ago, QuestioningMark said:

Currently there is one thing in science that doesn't make a lot of sence, and that's the protolathe and the whole dealio with them producing new devices that are apparently 'novel experiments'. The reality is that we all know they already exist - they're never that surprising.

Could I recommend it gets moved to supply too, under the title fabrication. I already know of a friend who has a 3d printer on his ship in the Navy for small parts - it makes a lot of sense that a long range vessel would have self-replication capacity that perhaps could have some spicy designs recovered and uploaded onto it found by exploration / miners. Say the fabricator has DRM or something.

While the initial point you make is valid, the proposed solution would lead to gutting one department even further and adding even more responsibilities to another. Which isn't necessarily a great play. "Science" doesn't necessarily have to be "Science" in terms of conducting novel research. Having a micro-electronics role or such responsible for small scale prototype and device manufacture could easily be feasible, which is what the protolathe and circuit board stuff does.