Kie'ra Nejem

Kadir Markov

Aisha Kandari

Isabelle Nexus

Akim Antonov

Sariik Ra'skal

Erica Rosenhart

Species you are applying to play: Skrell

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): A dark pink/red

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race: Truthfully, I’m applying to Skrell because they, along with Unathi and IPC’s, are beginning to interest me quite a bit. There is so much that can be done with this race in terms of roleplay and interaction. I think what interests me the most, however, is their history with synthetics and AI’s. Oh- and the fact that they could utterly destroy the human race at any given moment in time.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:
- No teeth, this makes them strong advocates for soft foods, breads, soups, etc.
- Face shows almost complete lack of emotion to other species, making a skrell hard to read.
- Completely black eyes
- Translucent skin/interesting coloration, with another layer below
- Amphibious
- Have the ability to use telepathy, though it’s seen as a crime if its done to non-consenting people.
- Live for hundreds of years.
- Unique naming system
- Find relationships to be life long.

Character Name: Vieara quiik.

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs.

Viera’s grandparents were amongst the few that betrayed their own race to secure safe passage from Glorsh. They fled to a remote area to ensure the safety of their family.
Viera’s mother was sterilized, along with her parents by the time they had fled Jargon- but thanks to genetic therapy, Viera’s mother was given the ability to reproduce once more. Around the year 2417, Viera's family migrated to Tau Ceti. Her grandfather had died by this time, leaving only two other family members for Viera. Her mother was roughly two hundred and twenty when Viera was born, she had been born near the end of the Glorsh regime, in the remote area, her family had fled to. 

Viera’s family never gave her any true explanation for why they left Jargon. And she was never really informed about the monstrosities committed by Glorsh- other than what she read in books and heard from other Skrell found on Biesel. She’s never had a bad encounter with a synthetic and believes that Glorsh was just a simple children's story told to scare skrell children. However; Viera is a curious little specimen. A small part of her believed Glorsh actually happened, but she couldn't allow herself to believe it- Because that'd make her whole life a general lie, and her profession even worse. "No- Glorsh is just a story" is what she'd tell herself everytime she took a step to further her education in the robotics field. 

When she was around the age of sixteen, she was wandering through the streets of district seven within Mendell city, when suddenly she was attacked by a group of radical Tajaran's. Thankfully, a rather large Unathi came to her aid, he scared off the radicals and saw that she was treated in a nearby hospital while waiting for her parents. The Unathi turned out to be a Guwan, his name was Sier’khala Xui’xux. This became the start of a long friendship. However; it was also a start for distrust in Tajarans. Her encounters with Tajara were limited, and usually, the Tajarans she did run into were very cruel towards her. Addressing her with racial slurs, snarky comments about her coloration, mocking her species for its history, doing their best to make her show emotion, though it was practically impossible. This then led to some confidence issues, which she still suffers. Though, of course, it’d be hard to tell to a non-skrell.

After some time, and lots of studying, Viera decided that she wished to work with Synthetics. She was always interested by the advancements made in technology, especially those with cyborgs and IPC’s. When she graduated from her second university, taking up a masters in Biological Technology, and a bachelors Data Theory, Viera decided to apply for a job with NanoTrasen. Not only did she hope for the opportunity to work with synthetics and most importantly, cyborgs. Viera also hopes that her career with NanoTrasen will open a route for her to finally visit the Federation.

What do you like about this character?
Truthfully? I don’t know yet. I have an idea of what I want them to be, but I can only come to this conclusion once I play them on the station. It’s just how I am.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

I think I’m somewhere between a seven and an eight. I have trouble portraying emotions in IC that aren’t anger or confusion. Though, I do think I’ve improved

Notes: I am sorry if the Unathi name does not make much sense. I’m horrible with names.

I made some edits to the reasons she dislikes/doesn't trust Tajaran's. And, I've edited the timeline a bit. She would still be born in Tau Ceti, but it won't specify where her family escaped to, up until the past forty five years. I also added in some more on why she is skeptical to believe Glorsh existed for @VTCobaltblood

Edited by Mofo1995

Oh, good, a Skrell app to boost my mood after a long day. I need more of these, honestly. People should apply for Skrell more.

Your timeline may be a bit off, I think. The end of Glorsh's reign was 2192 (221 years ago), and Skrell didn't discover humans until in 2413 (48 years ago) after fully rebuilding a Federation and recovering as best they possibly could. So the earliest the family could've fled to TC was ~45 years ago. Her mother would've then had to have a child at a ripe Skrelly age of ~240 (which, I may be wrong, would actually be a little bit old at this time since the prolonged age serums are pretty restricted to Jargon space). Maybe I'm off. Math isn't my strongest subject.

Let me just say, not being able to portray emotions well is a boon when playing Skrell. I like to pick one or two emotes for a character (blinking, staring, a head tilt, scratching) and respond with it whenever someone expects a reaction. Normal people would do something like nod or smile. My Skrell just sort of stare, like they're waiting for something. Authentic AND lazy!

Another squid! 

My experience with Avery has been nothing but absolutely positive. They clearly show a masterful understanding of not just roleplay, but something that I strive for all players to know and understand. Being a good person. Concerning the actual application.

A very well written skrell application and not any major issues I can really distinctly see. Though something I am curious about is that her grandparents sided with Glorsh. Does that not affect her outlook on synthetics? She seems rather okay with synthetics? Very important questions as I do like how she feels accepting of new technology and isn't obtuse enough for it to inhibit her learning.  

Though as I said I am not entirely against it! I am more curious how Vieara is going to go about with her feelings on synthetics, especially if her grandparents supported Glorsh! How will she handle the stress of other skrell being aware (if they ever find out!) of her familial past? Of course these are more "what ifs" that are quite vague and can be more answered and found out ICly, but I am curious :))

15 hours ago, ReadThisNamePlz said:

Glorsh was just a simple childrens story told to scare skrell children.

I don't think this is realistic. The fact that something is just history that you haven't interacted with wouldn't mean that it's just a children's story. There definitely may be reasons to think that Glorsh never existed, but definitely not as simple as "well i've never seen that". Imagine claiming that the Roman Empire never existed because it's just a children's story. That's the kind of myth you're tackling with. Roboticist skrell, especially younger ones, are definitely possible, but it's the most blunt way to do this. Instead, I would suggest Vieara to be simply wary instead of scarred and traumatized like older skrell. Maybe they put more faith in human variations of skrell algorithms. Maybe they think that Glorsh was easily preventable. Maybe they think they can make a better AI - or anything along these lines, really.

15 hours ago, ReadThisNamePlz said:

When she was around the age of sixteen, she was wandering through the streets of district seven within Mendell city, when suddenly she was attacked by a group of radical ATLAS supporters. Thankfully, a rather large Unathi came to her aid, he scared off the radicalists and saw that she was treated in a nearby hospital while waiting for her parents. The Unathi turned out to be a Guwan, his name was Sier’khala Xui’xux. This became the start of a long friendship. However; it was also a start for distrust in humanity. Her encounters with humanity were limited, and usually the humans she did run into were very cruel towards her. Addressing her with racial slurs, and snarky comments about her coloration. This then led to some confidence issues, which she still suffers with. Though, of course, it’d be hard to tell to a non-skrell.

Skrell simply don't face the discrimination you have described. Why do you think NT allows skrell, and only skrell, to become captains? Why do skrell essentially run a megacorp, Zeng-Hu? Why does humanity have a lot of its tech, such as AI and cloning, from skrell? 

Because skrell are humanity's closest ally. Even most members of ATLAS, while perhaps bashing on other races, accept skrell as at least useful to us. Skrell are respected, and their ties to humanity are very close.

Also, Conspiir's thing.

Can't support this in its current form. 

11 minutes ago, VTCobaltblood said:

I don't think this is realistic. The fact that something is just history that you haven't interacted with wouldn't mean that it's just a children's story. There definitely may be reasons to think that Glorsh never existed, but definitely not as simple as "well i've never seen that". Imagine claiming that the Roman Empire never existed because it's just a children's story. That's the kind of myth you're tackling with. Roboticist skrell, especially younger ones, are definitely possible, but it's the most blunt way to do this. Instead, I would suggest Vieara to be simply wary instead of scarred and traumatized like older skrell. Maybe they put more faith in human variations of skrell algorithms. Maybe they think that Glorsh was easily preventable. Maybe they think they can make a better AI - or anything along these lines, really.

Skrell simply don't face the discrimination you have described. Why do you think NT allows skrell, and only skrell, to become captains? Why do skrell essentially run a megacorp, Zeng-Hu? Why does humanity have a lot of its tech, such as AI and cloning, from skrell? 

Because skrell are humanity's closest ally. Even most members of ATLAS, while perhaps bashing on other races, accept skrell as at least useful to us. Skrell are respected, and their ties to humanity are very close.

Also, Conspiir's thing.

Can't support this in its current form. 

I find the "children's story" to be believable if you're sheltered for so long, kept under a rock, and only hear about something from books and some other people that you barely know, whose word would you take? Your family's or the random people? Of course, she is skeptical of glorsh, but it's better for her to simply disregard it as a children's story as a coping mechanism. 

Now, regarding the racial thing. I was looking over the Mendell City lore page, and the several districts. District seven is where the clubs and general ghetto is (From my understanding at least). And that is where she lived on Biesel. I can change it from humans to Tajarans, however. It may make more sense in the long run, considering the Tajaran's have explicit racism within their own species. 

Actually, yeah, I'll change it from humans to Tajarans. But, the glorsh thing is staying. I ran this by a few people and they agreed it'd be interesting to see. It's the same concept as being censored in real life on a certain subject. Whether it's politics, social interactions, etc. Her family is ashamed for running away and betraying their race, so of course, they'd want to try and redeem themselves by making it seem like it never happened to future generations.

And, regarding conspiir, I'm going to edit it so it fits the timeline

Edited by ReadThisNamePlz
13 hours ago, Conspiir said:

Oh, good, a Skrell app to boost my mood after a long day. I need more of these, honestly. People should apply for Skrell more.

Your timeline may be a bit off, I think. The end of Glorsh's reign was 2192 (221 years ago), and Skrell didn't discover humans until in 2413 (48 years ago) after fully rebuilding a Federation and recovering as best they possibly could. So the earliest the family could've fled to TC was ~45 years ago. Her mother would've then had to have a child at a ripe Skrelly age of ~240 (which, I may be wrong, would actually be a little bit old at this time since the prolonged age serums are pretty restricted to Jargon space). Maybe I'm off. Math isn't my strongest subject.

Let me just say, not being able to portray emotions well is a boon when playing Skrell. I like to pick one or two emotes for a character (blinking, staring, a head tilt, scratching) and respond with it whenever someone expects a reaction. Normal people would do something like nod or smile. My Skrell just sort of stare, like they're waiting for something. Authentic AND lazy!

I'll edit the story so it fits with the timeline a bit better.
I'm horrible with math and timelines, so I wasn't really sure what went where. 

While I can believe that someone who was sheltered from Glorsh would not believe in them, I don't think it's a good whitelist app. It's a bit like the whole cliche some years ago where Taj grew up with human parents and did not experience Taj culture.

You don't show anything about Skrell culture which is very in depth. It is expected from a character like this, but then why apply with a character like this?

You do not mention idols, the naming system, relationships, and religion. I'd prefer you apply with a character that acknowledges these things.

15 minutes ago, DeadLantern said:

While I can believe that someone who was sheltered from Glorsh would not believe in them, I don't think it's a good whitelist app. It's a bit like the whole cliche some years ago where Taj grew up with human parents and did not experience Taj culture.

You don't show anything about Skrell culture which is very in depth. It is expected from a character like this, but then why apply with a character like this?

You do not mention idols, the naming system, relationships, and religion. I'd prefer you apply with a character that acknowledges these things.

The naming system? Qu'(suffix here)? The lore page states that a Skrell is given a first and last name at birth. She's simply yet to have any titles applied to her. I don't like to make a huge foundation for characters that restrict them when doing a whitelist. I like to expand on this sort of thing in the game itself. It's much more fun.

Regarding the idols, my understanding is that they're basically celebrities. I'll add one in. Perhaps a made-up author that writes about Synthetics. But that's really it because she isn't on Jargon. She's in Tau Ceti. The Goal is to have her want to return to Jargon and slowly find out the truth about Glorsh and everything else to do with her race. But again, I want to do this icly, not in an application.

Regarding religion. Majority of my characters are atheists or Christians. I am a devout Christian in real life. And, for personal reasons, I don't like to roleplay worshipping or following other gods, it just doesn't feel right with me. Story or not. It's also why I don't play cultist. But, I'm trying to get out of this mindset. So, it's possible that Viera will convert to some sort of Skrell religion, perhaps Qeblak since she is a woman of science.

And, I applied with a Character like this because I don't want to have the same app like everyone else. I want to have a character that is different and will give me more avenues to work with icly when it comes to interactions with the crew, antagonists, etc. Exploitable info, gimmicks, etc. Sure, it's snowflakey, but I don't see any issue with being different.

Regarding relationships, she simply hasn't had one yet. This is something I want to encounter icly.  Not put into an application.

Edited by ReadThisNamePlz

The only parts I'm concerned about are how on Earth a bunch of tajara got the gumption to think they could start bullying a skrell, but I'm extremely interested in how a Glorsh denier will be received on station, especially with being such a young skrell with so much inexperience. Also, I left this application up too long.

Application accepted.