Full Departmental Uniform Overhaul & More

My specific suggestions for improvement on the department I play is as follows:

Engineering Jumpsuit: Reviewing the sprite, I think the puffy knees should be removed. It makes the legs look almost like they're attached to the hands when putting things like drop pouches, belts, gloves, and accessories on. Other than that I think the jumpsuit is fantastic in design. It could perhaps use a slight modification around the shoulder area. It does look a little bit long. I suggest shortening the highlight by a pixel and seeing how that goes. 

Atmospherics Jumpsuit: Same changes as the engineering jumpsuit in design, and add some sort of accent in a darker teal color. I think it would look cool to change the color scheme to match the engineering jumpsuit, and change the high-vis accent to a teal, but that might be confusing for people to tell at a glance.

I think that they look a little bit like firefighter uniforms, which is what really makes them cool to me. Some minor alterations and I think they'll be something I could see as an excellent update. I am curious to your thoughts. Let me know. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, AmoryBlaine said:

I must drive home that I am intentionally removing high contrasts, because I dislike how high contrast our current sprites are.

There is a happy balance. What you've presented will essentially look like a monotonous blob with 0 outline in-game, especially in dim lighting which is ever-present on station. I really suggest you test these.

I don't really give much of a shit about the other stuff, but the lack of the crisp black security uniform with blue stripes going down the sides is an absolute no-sell for me.  This thing you have made is an atrocity upon the identity of security, turning them into bland, grey-shirted losers wearing jeans, their only stylistic difference between them and an average civilian I would expect to see on the street being putting on a shitty beret and an armored vest.  If this was all I had to wear in security roles, I would not even want to play it or interact with them.

Though I will say that some of your designs for other departments just sort of look like vaguely colored blobs with little shading or character that you simply recolored a little for new departments.  We don't need to make everyone look uniform, you know.  It should be enough that they follow some thematic color schemes that are easy to identify.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Because of the nature of the game's art direction, the high contrast is a benefit to making people immediately distuinguishable. You know when someone is a miner because their uniforms and use of purple is iconic.

I do not like the removal of the three uniform selections for security. All of them are identifiable while allowing enough variation to accommodate different sprite colors, styles, etc. Some uniforms look like crud on certain people.

The science uniform is sick. Love it.

I might grow onto the engineering jumpsuits, I don't know. The fact it also has the same style as janitorial's jumpsuit will make it visually confusing.

I do not like the mining standard uniform at all. There is no purple, and as I said in my intro the use of purple is iconic. That miner looks like a visitor who smokes and talks about the war.

The cargo standard uniform is ok. It looks like what it's inspiration comes from - a military hangar. They kind of look like a pilot. Honestly giving cargo a choice between wearing shorts or pants would be lovely. Cargo pants!

Make Cargo wear cargo pants!

Edited by Marlon Phoenix
4 hours ago, AmoryBlaine said:

What variety?

22 hours ago, AmoryBlaine said:

Security standard uniform. This is just a revamped 'Navyblue variant', but I intend to have security ONLY use this from now on. No more three option selection. In exchange, you get room to add a tie.

That variety. Stripping away the other options in exchange for a, in my opinion, downgraded version of the present navy blue.

2 minutes ago, Carver said:

That variety. Stripping away the other options in exchange for a, in my opinion, downgraded version of the present navy blue.

I'm still going to resprite those, just no intent on keeping them all available. How exactly could I make the replacement navy blue 'better'?

Guest Marlon Phoenix

04f5495014f0bcca1caa07d5114e4cb2.png here is my suggsetion

You are so conservative with the colors, you need to splash more of that beautiful color wheel onto your uniforms. make them POP. these are going to be super tiny when we see them in game we gotta be able to go "wtf department are they in" as fast as possible

2 hours ago, AmoryBlaine said:

I'm still going to resprite those, just no intent on keeping them all available. How exactly could I make the replacement navy blue 'better'?

By not changing what doesn't need to be changed in the first place? I don't believe most of the present uniforms are in need of an update, particularly in regard to Security which had it's uniforms updated a couple years ago. I also don't care for the 'poofy knees' on a lot of the other proposed uniforms, as I guarantee they're going to clip with something if not just look ugly on their own.

As it goes, I do like the med-sci uniforms, but everything else feels like a downgrade to me. We don't need to replace every sprite in the game on a whim.

Quick edit: I'd suggest implementing the med-sci uniforms as alternate uniforms in the lockers/loadouts. Variety is nice.

Edited by Carver
Quick thought to add.
Just now, Carver said:

By not changing what doesn't need to be changed in the first place? I don't believe most of the present uniforms are in need of an update, particularly in regard to Security which had it's uniforms updated a couple years ago. I also don't care for the 'poofy knees' on a lot of the other proposed uniforms, as I guarantee they're going to clip with something if not just look ugly on their own.

As it goes, I do like the med-sci uniforms, but everything else feels like a downgrade to me. We don't need to replace every sprite in the game on a whim.

Quick edit: I'd suggest implementing the med-sci uniforms as alternate uniforms in the lockers/loadouts. Variety is nice.

Variety can come after I've dealt with the current sprites.

This is the difference between the HoS uniforms. Mine is right, the current is left. I like Sue's work, and I intend to keep with it, for the most part.

Spoiler

image.png.28e8136c3a429a9c309fa0d3213a9dbc.pngimage.png.5a08bbad6c250e819d8d2df2c132d526.png 

2 minutes ago, AmoryBlaine said:

This is the difference between the HoS uniforms. Mine is right, the current is left. I like Sue's work, and I intend to keep with it, for the most part.

Hide contents

image.png.28e8136c3a429a9c309fa0d3213a9dbc.pngimage.png.5a08bbad6c250e819d8d2df2c132d526.png 

In regard to the right, the outlines feel harder to discern and it somewhat visually clutters it as a result. The shirt on the right looks like someone's been sweating in it which is fairly unappealing, the pants look alright, I have no opinion on the belt. But as a whole, I prefer the shading of the left and the clearer difference in colour contrast.

That one pixel 'missing' from the inward lower sleeves on the left is due to gloves/hands as well, as the hand sprite starts from there. It shouldn't be covered.

New thread rule, we just list what changes we want me to make, and I either say yes, or no to them, without responding. This way, we all get what we want, except for the people who I say no to.

3 minutes ago, Carver said:

In regard to the right, the outlines feel harder to discern and it somewhat visually clutters it as a result. The shirt on the right looks like someone's been sweating in it which is fairly unappealing, the pants look alright, I have no opinion on the belt. But as a whole, I prefer the shading of the left and the clearer difference in colour contrast.

It's a different coloured shirt, it's also got breast pockets, hence the heavy shading to help make it mesh with the rest of the shirt. The one on the left has, uh, a very defined chest. It looks fine at a distance, but I much prefer mine, for getting rid of the heavy contrast. I'll make it darker, but not to the same extent as the left one.

14 hours ago, AmoryBlaine said:

I'll add some brown or orange highlights. Mind you, I didn't post the rolled down version, which is the intended use of the uniform. The jacket tied around the waist, wahtever else the individual wishes to wear, visible.

As for the utility jumpsuit that Eng, Atm, and Jnt use, did you have any suggestions on it?

Oh hey. I figured out what's broken on the engineering jumpsuits. There's no contrast. At all. It's a blob, specially when you zoom out. The atmos jumpsuit does a way better job at introducing contrast.

Just now, Skull132 said:

Oh hey. I figured out what's broken on the engineering jumpsuits. There's no contrast. At all. It's a blob, specially when you zoom out. The atmos jumpsuit does a way better job at introducing contrast.

More, or less.

Spoiler

image.png.a06bbcc3dc9144bf9f9fa52560853b61.png

Giving artistic critique is something i am really bad at. However i am head admin so for some reason my opinion is given weight it does not deserve. This is a disclaimer i have no idea what i am talking about here. These sprites look nice. They are new and the current ones we have are old. I am bored of the old. i would like similar ones for robofixers and emergency medical tryhards. 

10 hours ago, Senpai Jackboot said:

04f5495014f0bcca1caa07d5114e4cb2.png here is my suggsetion

You are so conservative with the colors, you need to splash more of that beautiful color wheel onto your uniforms. make them POP. these are going to be super tiny when we see them in game we gotta be able to go "wtf department are they in" as fast as possible

Adding onto this, it would definitely help the design to not have the flap go all the way to the crotch, so something like this

Spoiler

eb14bc1ada.png

That way it looks like you step into it, like a jumpsuit, and then clip the flap (instead of zip up like you would a jumpsuit).

I agree with more color. Maybe even some on the legs, like the cuffs, or give the clips some of the color.

Just now, VTCobaltblood said:

Okay, but it doesn't change the fact that other sprites need darker outlines such as the one demonstrated in your new Engineering uniform sprite.

I'm not going to make changes, if you're going to act like a prick.

Amory, keep in mind, you're the one trying to convince us. We don't have to accept what you're putting forward. This is a suggestion thread. You're a salesman. You're trying to appeal to us. If we're telling you "We don't like this part" or "This needs to be fixed," then you should probably listen because it boosts the likelihood of getting the best result. You haven't been a beacon of willing compromise yourself. I have to agree with VT. The darker outline looks much better. It's harder to tell any shading on it, though. Your HoS uniform looks more smear-like than the original, and I don't know how that will look.

1 hour ago, AmoryBlaine said:

I'm not going to make changes, if you're going to act like a prick.

I'm not even sure what I said wrong - and I didn't mean to act like a prick - but I guess it's your choice to deliberately make sprites worse and less likely to be accepted?

Edited by VTCobaltblood