Thea's Tea Set

Byond key: ShesTrying

Discord key:  Olivia#4393

Item name: (if you are applying for multiple items, it should be made into a list with the description, name and appearance together):

Box - A black box, hopefully, to hold the pot and all the cups? If not a normal box would work just as well. The description would be, hopefully - A black, wooden box, the edges softened with transport and use.

Bronze Teapot - A round-bottomed, well-used teapot. It looks as though it's been carefully maintained.

Four Bronze Tea Cups - A shallow, bronze teacup. Looks heavy.

Item function(s): The functions of the items would be fairly basic. The teapot would hold 120u of tea as the normal teapot would hold, with the same contents, just plain tea. The cups would keep their sprite whether filled or not, and hold 20u as opposed to 30u of liquid, since they're shorter and much smaller than a normal glass.

Why is your character bringing this item to work? It's no secret that Thea loves her tea. It calms her, helps her focus, and is a general conversation piece and tool in her day-to-day life. She usually raids the bar for a teapot-- why not start bringing her own?

How did your character obtain this item?:  When Thea moved to Tau Ceti, she didn't have much. She learned, however, that small luxuries make things easier to bear. This was the first thing that she bought with her new pay, and new life. A sort of turnaround point for her.

What value does this item have to your character, and what story does it tell?:  The teaset really tells the story of Thea's willingness to change. Anyone who knows Thea's full story knows that she hasn't had it too easy. The teaset, again, was turnaround point for her to dive in to her new life and grin and bear the rather rough transition. As for the value it holds to her, it's immense. She's had the teaset for the better part of ten years now, and doesn't intend on letting it go any time soon.

Past that, Thea really, really likes tea. She likes to sit down and have conversations with people over it, she finds it good on any occasion, and it has proven to be a great way to de-escalate a situation. It's an excuse to sit down and take a moment for yourself, and aswell an item that she can keep as a sort of trophy. 'Look how far I've come.'

How will you use this to better interact with crew and/or stimulate RP?:  I can't begin to tell you how many times Thea has sat down with an antag over tea for negotiations. Or how, when someone is feeling down, she offers them a cup just to make them feel better. It's a conversationpiece, something to sit down and talk about or just a reason to sit down in the chaos. 

Sprites:

image.png.2583dc2bd9d88c97f15193a6f113be4a.png      image.png.2bc3d4dd79fa2312956def2d3cb5acb1.png     

Additional Comments: I've been delaying this... Forever. @AmoryBlaine was kind enough to do these fantastic sprites and I've kept delaying it for fear of it being denied, haha. Please, give me my tea set and make my dreams come true.

teacup.dmi teapot.dmi

Easy +1.
My biomechanical engineer always joins Thea for tea, and it all seemed like great fun. I did not know, however, how important it was to the character until reading this post. It is a fairly simple item, but I see that it shows a bit of Thea's personality, tells a little story. Honestly, I love it when characters have something like this-- not exactly a memento, but rather an item that can tell something about its owner. Not everything about the character has to be found out through words, sometimes you just have to look!

I support this, ShesTrying is a player who is always trying to create new roleplaying opportunities and this would be a great addition, Thea is always drinking tea and it would be an interesting point of conversation and a motif that represents the players mentality.

All around I can't tell you just how much additional RP I think something like this will bring to the rounds in which we see Thea. Since my return I've interacted with Thea a lot, mainly through IAA roles where I am already working closely with command and tend to play characters that only have bravado behind a desk, never when actually confronted. She has offered tea and other drinks to my characters to calm their nerves during many antag rounds and I love the play that it adds to everything. Just giving her something else to talk about through it would be great. Please consider this.

+1

• 2 weeks later...