[Accepted] The Abosh Rises Again v2 - Moderator Application

Server Moderator Application

Basic Information
Byond Account: Aboshehab
Character Name(s): Current: Khaled Al-Bastaki (Head of Security) I have more characters beyond this that I play but I've kept them as private ones that only a few know about. Retired Characters: Raymond Hawkins (Captain), Mike Knight (Paramedic), Charles Hall (Head of Security), Rasheeq Al-Sammach (Cadet/Officer), Weirup Vi'lees (Officer), Needle (CMO/Surgeon) I have more but those are the most relevant.
AI Name(s): Greatness Mk2
Discord username + tag: Aboshehab#0211
Timezone: GMT+4 Dubai, UAE
When are you on Aurora?: It fluctuates depends to real life demands, but I can be seen during most parts of the day, primarily my afternoon to evenings. 

------------------------------

Experience
How long have you played SS13?: 1869 days if we're being exact. My time with SS13 has been Aurora.
How long have you played on Aurora: Since July 2015, with breaks, I've never officially "quit" the community, sometimes my attention shifts to other things.
How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: Engineering is still my weakest point but I have a strong grasp of all aspects of gameplay.
Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: Just for the Aurora. I've been a moderator and all the way up to a head admin. I compared the dates of trial to resignation and it amounted to 1061 days spent, though this isn't accurate metric due to breaks and needing to focus on other things. I'll link my mod applications.

Have you read through the criteria thread; https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4198 - and believe that you mark off all the criteria?: Yes, completely. These are qualities I've demanded of myself and would not be applying if I did not feel I could adhere to them. Though I may not be immune to mistakes, I've always sought to correct them and apologize if I've wronged people.
Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?:  A seven day ban from antagonist roles back in 2016. I have some other notes, but I don't believe I have anything severe other than this.

------------------------------

Personality
Why do you play SS13?: My answer has not changed much from the other two times. SS13 allows me to play Aurora, which I enjoy.

Why do you play on Aurora?: Again, same answer as last time. I'd only be rephrasing something and deliver the same meaning if I wrote something new. I've played briefly on other servers but I enjoyed Aurora the most. Originally it was just for the gameplay, I'd play my rounds with ooc muted or just ignored it. After a while I gradually started interacting with people, some that are still here and others that gone. So I'm here for both the gameplay and the community. Aurora introduced me to the whole concept of roleplay, and even though I felt I was atrocious at it, people were supporting and taught me how to improve, and while we may have had a few rotten apples, I still enjoyed the interaction I've had with the rest. 

What do moderators do?: My answer hasn't changed here as well. My expectations of a moderator has always been that they are present, willing and active enough to handle round-to-round matters/forums/discord, be it reactively in the form of questions and admin helps sent and proactively in that they don't wait around for issues to come to them but instead investigate things. They help with maintaining a consistent atmosphere with the game and with the community as a whole. Handling a person that has broken the rules appropriately helps maintain this consistency that others want when spending time on any of the community platforms. They should also be present to help the administrators with their needs, be it assigning them to specific teams or handing our specific tasks like complaints. It's a collaborative effort and moderators act like an integral part of the community.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: No change here. To me, I can split its meaning into two. First, that the person applying intends to dedicate time and effort for the maintenance of our hobby here, in the capacity of a moderator. Secondly, it means that individual is entrusted with a level of responsibility and power that should not be misused either maliciously or carelessly. A bad staff member or even a subpar one can drive people away, decide the outcome of rounds in a bad way or in some cases, thankfully rare, abuse for personal use.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: For the same reason I've applied for staff positions and contribute to the server without being staff. It takes people that enjoy this hobby to pitch in and maintain it. So now with new found free time and the will to contribute, I am applying again. Anytime I've quit a staff position it was never due to lost of interest to the position or the community, it was due to outside factors, factors I never have control of. The most recent time I resigned I was deployed as part of the covid response for a number months and juggling my education for my bachelors at the same time, I simply did not have much free time and I could not anticipate how long I would be busy with being on response, so I eventually quit after some time of uncontrollable activity to vacate my slot to someone that can dedicate their time instead of putting people in the uncomfortable position of having to remove me had it lasted for much longer. 

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: Similar to my last application. 

I feel like I’m patient. I feel others know I’m patient as well. I feel like I’m understanding of others. Sometimes rule violations aren’t malicious, a mistake, and I feel like I can understand the difference and handle that according to the circumstances. I’m honest to myself and others. At times this can be seen as curt, I’ve always placed great importance on doing things right and honestly, so this has lead me in the past to telling what I felt as a the truth, even as it may upset them. I’ve handled a lot of staff complaints and if I felt a staff member has been wrong, I have been honest about it. I don’t shy from conflict. I feel like I have the capacity to take on confrontational people without sacrificing the fair handling of an issue that arises. Sometimes tough measures must be made and I’m fine with handling them. While not a suitable metric, I do feel that the amount of actions I’ve done as a good indication that I will punish a person if necessary.

I think my experience on this part speaks for itself. I have shown in the past that I do posses good qualities to be staff. It is also my hope that feedback here can illustrate, and if it proves to the contrary, I'll retract my application as I have no desire of being a negative influence to the community. 

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: I feel like I handle the three well. There have been time I’ve been angry, and while it’s hard to imagine being angry within the context of Aurora, we have had serious cases that have made me “angry” as a catch all term. That being said, I feel like regardless of my present feelings, still handle anything thrown at me with both a calm and logical mind. I do admit I have in the past snapped at people for a number of reasons, and even though it is most likely influenced by outside circumstances, I have never justified it nor accepted it as an excuse. I believe I’ve apologized to everyone I’ve wronged and I’ve also given a blanket apology to anyone I’ve missed or not realized I’ve wronged. I could go on, but I’ll just say that while I’m human and not without my faults, I have a good control over my emotions.

Anything Else You Want to Add: (Do not put words here)
I just want to repeat myself in saying that some of my responses were copied from my previous application with some minors edits or additions at the end. This is because my feelings on certain things have not changed and if I were to write it from scratch, I would just be rephrasing it while conveying the same core ideas.

I don't think I have literally ever had a bad interaction with Abo or his characters. He is always a delight to see IC and has always been friendly and agreeable OOC. I have also never heard any ill of him from....pretty much anyone else, really. Has a good handle on the rules and a level head. +1

I've always known Abo to be remarkably fair with his judgements and commited to making sure rounds stay fun for everyone involved, almost to a fault. I can't think of any reason why he wouldn't be a welcome addition to the staff with his already established reputation and track record, even with my own personal bias aside.

+1

Abo is a fine person and while my time with them even on the admin team was basically nonexistent, their character and experience speaks for itself. I am looking forwards to potentially seeing them on the moderator team.
haha nice guy +1

Edited by TheBurninSherman

I believe Abo would be a great re-addition to the team. He is incredibly level headed, able to call his friends out on their bullshit and someone who is more than willing to grow and change as a person. I sat on giving my +1 for awhile simply because I wagered he didn't need it. If that should mean anything for the general support Abo has within the community.

• 1 month later...