Feedback Thread: [Resprite] Kyres Disruptor and Other Guns.

Valwyn

This is Kyres ongoing resprite : 

Mini > regular > magnum

kyres is a babe.png

Disruptor

Top - old

Middle - new stun

Bottom - new lethal

My Feedback:  The trigger and trigger guard on the new one is amazingly better, The handle looks more like a handle now,  the shape is very well done, thus a huge improvement aswell.  altrough i find the color of the handle consistent, i wonder if a black Handle would be better, currently is like a Dark Brown. the body of the gun trough, altrough is way more well done i also got the same feeling of Cheeves of zeng-hu guns, Personally i do not enjoy the sci-fi aspect of the body/barrel. , too much futurist. I'am one of the Officers on the train of ''high-tech version of ballistic'', that would enjoy high-tech militaristic, i always find resonable in many Movies/game for the humans to mantain some of the old characteristics of guns(Halo, destiny , warhammer, Mass Effect ect) on they new futurist guns, Nanotrasen being a Human Megacorp.  would make sense. In the case of a blaster  not too much militaristic, because will look like a modern/Ballistic weapon. and not too much futurist because will look like a Alien weapon.. As such was i call it the perfect point would be high-tech militaristic, the way it changes when on lethal is cool trough.

------------------------------

Updated Variants of Both Laser Rifle and Pump Shotgun was posted was reply in the topic, follow the topic to find the pictures.

spacer.png

Laser rifle and pump shotgun

My Feedback:  I Like the Laser Rifle, i will mantain my Idea if a Black Handle would be better for the Laser Rifle Aswell instead of Dark Brown. ,i Find really weird is the square stock at th end of the laser Rifle, i does not feel very attached for a stock. 11111111111111.PNG.dc606e4d45668e0dca95509ec44e2bd1.PNG  Also, dont you think the bottom part is too small for two handing it? not much space for the other hand, it lacks a foregrip.laser.PNG.2cd17380894035098a0b64bd0ea5c654.PNG

The Pump shotgun i did not enjoy at all, Pump shotgun is too iconic for me being old ballistic weapon. i rather mantain our current sprite for the Shotgun, our current is really well detailed aswell, your Shotgun resprite feels like the pump shotgun will shoot plasma or Coil, rather than ballistic Shells. our current one: shotgun.PNG.71b51aefe398ee465d12d446ef9d3c3d.PNG

Overall : I Don't enjoy the too bright color, on any of them, was cheeves said, looks too much was a Zeng-hu Guns, together with the futurist body, and does not fit with Nanotrasen colors, like the sec deparment colors being Darker.  i just don't like the way the visual style of the weapon body being too much futurist are going.

You're a really good spriter, i like the quality and potential you put on it..soo ''oh this guy is bad at doing sprites and thats why is shit'' no.. thats not the problem here, i can notice quality and i'am happy to have someone like you doing sprites for us. we are lucky to have you.

Gunmetal color would be more preferable aswell, like those

spacer.png

spacer.png

It fits well with Nanotrasen color/Banner.

Edited by Valwyn
Added warning about the updated variants

I guess I should preface this by saying that I do think Kyres is an extremely good sprite artist.  That's not the point I want to contend here.  I also agree with basically everything Valwyn said.  The new version of the disruptors is very good, the stock on the rifle looks funky, and a gunmetal color would be a great idea if we're banning black guns from the armory.

What I wish to say is that I think that going forward with Kyres' proposed resprites will be sacrificing atmosphere for uniqueness.  I'm aware that there is a desire among the developers for the Aurora to have a unique visual style, but I don't think that the style of Kyres' sprites is the way to go.  I think that these sprites are very good and would work very well as, specifically, firearms used and manufactured primarily by Zeng-Hu.  Assuming lore remains the same and the guns in the armory are all NanoTrasen firearms, I don't think it's a good look.

The style of these guns strikes me as far too pulpy, more in the vein of a Flash Gordon-esque space opera than the dramatic political thriller that Aurora lore seems to want to be.  I think that if we want to encourage that atmosphere, we should maintain the current visual style of our guns and any further resprites should be made with it in mind.

Now, I'll say it again in this thread.  I'm a security main.  I play security a lot.  Given that I play security, I wind up with the disruptors and the armory guns in my hands at a somewhat higher-than-average rate compared to players who do not play security.  Not every security player agrees with me, but I know several that do with regards to the art direction of Kyres' resprites.  I wouldn't mind seeing these guns once in a while, but I wouldn't want to see one in my hands every round.

I'd love to see our guns use sprites from Kyres if they sprites Kyres made were more "high-tech militaristic" and less Buck Rogers.

image.png.c0de50e585965a780adee548a4f517b2.png

On a more personal note, I stayed up late last night working on a resprite for the (very old) energy rifle that Odin security uses.  I'm not 100% happy with it, but I put a lot of effort into it and I'm proud of what I managed to make.  This sprite follows the art design of the existing laser rifle and, due to the upcoming resprites by Kyres, it's basically useless and I'm pretty sad and frustrated about that.  I basically woke up this morning, saw Kyres' versions of the laser rifle and pump shotgun, and realized that all the work I did last night would go unused.  I don't want to make a PR to change the sprite only for it to get replaced again in a couple of weeks.  (Which, given how that exact thing happened to Kyres with the original disruptor sprites, I acknowledge the issue there.)

Apologies to Kyres if any of my criticism comes off as mean-spirited or unnecessarily insulting.  I'm having a bit of a knee-jerk reaction right now and I'm not sure how to phrase this better so I just want to get my opinions out there.

I don't have a lot to say. Transforming weapon sprites are very, very cool. The plastic whiteness gives aforementioned Z-H vibes, or more what I noticed, XCOM: Enemy Unknown vibes (which was very much prototype weapons, which these shouldn't be).

But the shotgun? It just doesn't feel right, doesn't feel like a shotgun. In over a century IRL, civilian shotguns (as a pump shotgun effectively is) really haven't changed much in their aesthetic design. If this was some high-end military piece with semi-automatic function that did some sci-fi 'charging it's shots' or the like, then maybe the new aesthetic would fit - but as it stands, this doesn't remotely feel like a pump shotgun. It feels more like some Elyran or Eridanian piece that'd shoot out a spread of disruptor bolts or the like.

Let me preface this by saying I consider Kyres a friend and a talented spriter. However, I will continue by saying that I do not like these sprites at all and agree with the points of Chevy and Valwyn above me. I play a lot of security so I've got a lot of experience looking at the sprites of Aurora's weapons.

I'm not a big fan of these guns or the current disruptor sprite. They look like toy guns that you'd see in the hands of a '60s action figure in contrast to our present "high-tech militaristic" look that a lot of security's weaponry and equipment has (note, for example, that security uniforms are typically a bit more washed-out and duller than other clothes on the station, which leads to them being visually distinctive at first glance). Like Chevy said, they look like pulp guns or, to me, like super soakers - particularly the laser rifle. They look like something from a 1960s pulp scifi comic like Weird Tales rather than weapons from the Aurora.

I'd like to see the current disruptor sprite, no offense to Kyres, be reworked to fit the current set of guns rather than all guns be resprited to fit the disruptor.

As a final note all energy weapons on the server share an important trait: a tube in the gun that shows how much charge it has left. This is most noticeable on the current laser rifle, and least noticeable on the current disruptor sprite.

Kyres Posted Another resprite Variation of the PumpShotgun and Laser Rifle.

spacer.png

My Feedback : My Point still Remains for the shotgun resprites.

unknown.png

My Feedback, The funky Stock remains, theres a better Grip now, but the Colors make it look like a Nerf Gun, Don't like it,

Alright, I've already made my thoughts know the feedback thread I had a week ago, but hey, doesn't hurt to add to the discussion. As everyone else has already said, the sprites ARE well done. They look really good. 

Just not for Aurora.

If we were playing on a server with a pre-Star Trek pulp fiction type aesthetic, they'd be perfect. (Which, by the by, if someone DID make that type of server, I'd be THRILLED.) Thing is, Aurora and it's aesthetic are more modern military chic, like Starship Troopers or Alien. If these were supposed to be vintage guns, like the intermediary between the retro laser gun and our current ones, I'd also be down with that, but as it stands, being freshly manufactured, it doesn't work. 

Besides that, it also doesn't really work with the general aesthetic of Sec, imo. The bright white, almost Apple like guns do not vibe with what their uniforms, or entire department, looks like. They feel like guns meant for medical. In fact, they look A LOT as the Field Medic weaponry from Killing Floor 2 (pic for reference.) 

image.thumb.png.e5ebf8c4f1d7065f2cbdb53b71d438ee.png

I really don't like the direction the aesthetic seems to be headed. It's too pulpy for a station that supposed to be a fairly serious sci-fi roleplay. If I wanted Lost in Space, I wouldn't be playing on Aurora.

"aesthetic suicide"
Eci_rjrX0AEXcPF.png

YOLO it, imo, I don't mind the quality of the sprites at all. Maybe flip it so that the grips are bright and the actual receiver of the disruptor is darker colors, so it fits in with other energy weapons. I don't mind the shaded appearance at all, it gives it contrast and vibrancy.

2 hours ago, Scheveningen said:

"aesthetic suicide"

I said what I said. If the shotgun does not look like a very simple tube with a racking function, then you are changing too much of the design. Auto-shotties perhaps, but a pump action is an extremely simple gun and making it plastic and have adjustable stock that is modeled for a buffer tube where none exists, and having a picatinny rail does not sit right with me being a "pump shotgun".

It doesn't look right.