Reverting or Adjusting the Cryo Autodrobe Vendors

WickedCybs

These things.

image.png.246e1f5f64895fd364c727520b7747b9.png

I think I understand the idea behind these, especially in the context of the NBT. Adding a new intractable element to the cryo routine. At the moment it's hard for me to get excited about using these and I don't find myself getting used to the change in how latejoiners receive their loadouts. 

At the moment, it really doesn't play nice with people who haven't selected a uniform in the loadout. This means if you're going with your contractor or job uniform, you spawn in a grey jumpsuit. Your accessories will apply to that grey jumpsuit. You have to take that off manually and apply it to your actual uniform. That doesn't feel great, especially for contractors at the moment who are obligated to stick with their spawned uniforms. Maybe having people spawn with their uniforms on could alleviate that. 

I also don't think making it act like the arrivals shuttle autodrobes works well if you're spawning directly at work. You can't miss using the shuttle autodrobes. On the station, people do end up walking out of cryo without their gear at first and sending in tickets because it's not really that intuitive to separate you from all your stuff unless you make another button press. Even once you know what to do, It's not really adding much.

It might be more interesting and useful to have these cryo autodrobes vend things like extra uniform items or shoes. So people still get their loadouts when they wake up, but there's still a reason to check out the machines if needed. 

I, for what it's worth, support a total revert. Part of the reason I spawn in cryo in the first place is to avoid having to screw around with the autodrobe vendors at arrivals (which often suck your accessories off into the abyss) and this PR -- while I get the idea for it, since it's something for NBT -- defeats the entire purpose of that. Maybe this is due to it being a recent addition but I forget about it half of the time anyways, which means I have to track back to cryo and click the vendor to get my loadout. It's frustrating, and feels more like an annoyance than anything else. It's not fun, it's just busywork.

6 hours ago, Butterrobber202 said:

I believe these were added to fix a bug.

The only bug it noted was roundstart visitors receiving duplicates of their IDs, PDAs and emergency boxes, which it fixed. The PR itself has it mentioned this is NBT prep to suit the atmosphere of the ship assuming things remain the same.

https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/12539

Edited by WickedCybs

I don't believe a revert should be done as this is the system that will be utilized in NBT its one of the more "lesser" distinctions of the new setting, however, the other problems that have been mentioned could probably be easily (?) adjusted. 

Perhaps there can be a reminder introduced by the Cryogenic Oversight Machine? Just a "Remember to use the auto drone" or something similar?

• 4 months later...
On 06/10/2021 at 20:48, NewOriginalSchwann said:

I, for what it's worth, support a total revert. Part of the reason I spawn in cryo in the first place is to avoid having to screw around with the autodrobe vendors at arrivals (which often suck your accessories off into the abyss) and this PR -- while I get the idea for it, since it's something for NBT -- defeats the entire purpose of that. Maybe this is due to it being a recent addition but I forget about it half of the time anyways, which means I have to track back to cryo and click the vendor to get my loadout. It's frustrating, and feels more like an annoyance than anything else. It's not fun, it's just busywork.

This is still my opinion. It's frankly very annoying to have to click these things whenever you spawn. It's also irrelevant now, as the NBT has a crew deck you should reasonable be able to get your equipment on before you go up to work. I don't store my briefcase and ID badge at my office, after all.

i agree with the four people above. i don't see the point in the machine. sometimes i've almost forgotten to click the machine and remembered at the last second just because i'm used to already spawning with all my stuff on me.

Edited by Gem

There haven't been any objections, so I'm going to look into a revert PR once I can properly do those again. I'm just limited by my current laptop at the moment.

Though I think it'd be best to do it once the Horizon is fully released.

Edited by WickedCybs
small update
  • Gem locked this topic