General forum rules apply.
This forum is for project authors (coders, spriters, etcetera) to create feedback topics on their contributions. This is not a place to upvote/downvote a project.
For a project to be submitted, it must either be:
  • Currently actively in development (PR not required, though highly recommended)
  • Recently implemented and currently awaiting follow-up feedback.

Re: Nerfing Parapen Stun

Has there been a single recorded incident of a paralysis pen being used in a combat capacity instead of for the stealthy incapacitation it's meant for
Bauser#2332
Gabriel Diaz .............................................. "You felt your sins crawling on your back."
Adrien Major ... "Aww, did the big scary man make fun of you? I think you're cool!"

Bauser wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:26 pm
Has there been a single recorded incident of a paralysis pen being used in a combat capacity instead of for the stealthy incapacitation it's meant for
Maybe twice, I was involved both times, and when it was used in combat both times it was used in a defensive way (one wasn't even really combat, it was sneaking up on a distracted officer). The first time I saw it I was a traitor, I stabbed a surgeon with it because they kept grabbing me and I was trying to flee. The other time (Burger was involved this time) me and a dionaea were going about mugging people. After I attempted to run away when the officer wanted to search my bag (to which burger then chased me into medical with a stun baton) my dionaea partner came up and stabbed him in the back with the parapen, saving an unconscious me from a pair of handcuffs and giving us an officer to hold hostage.

Meme-y images
Spoiler:

Characters:
Spoiler:
Nikit Vasili - Mechatronics Engineer: "He loves getting to work on the borgs and IPCS, and doing tune ups. He is a roboticist after all"
Tamir Hanar - Engineering Apprentice: "O-of course it happened. H-he always fucks up. H-his life i-is a series of mistakes t-that took a l-lucky turn in the end"
Hashim Prruzhulkanich - Virologist: "No, just because he hides in the cave of virology doesn't mean he will release a virus. His goal is to help as many people who need it as he can"
Anonymous character - Science department member: "For the last time use your PDA, or Ira might be sent after you
Tinker - Merc/Raider: "He is an engineer, who does bad things with bad people, but to him, his crew are his favorite people."
Wizard Shiro -Necromancer: "He supposes he is a grim reaper, despite the title he is actually quite nice, and his boss, the head grim reaper, is quite the sucker for a romantic ending"

-1. Seeing as I've never (personally) seen a parapen be used in combat, I don't see why we need to nerf it? If you take away the parapen, you take away one of the stealthier forms of attacking people. Honestly, I actually like being parapenned as a victim. It surprises me, reminds me to stay on my toes, and I've never had a para-pen result in a gank. Parapens are probably one of my favorite stealth "weapons" to use, because I'm not that good at being "robust." If taken away, it would force me (and others) to play a more potentially combat-oriented style, which in a high/heavy roleplay server, is probably the last thing you want. Most of my gimmicks intend to spur more RP and involve more RP than combat, and if I can help it, I try not to kill people unless it serves a purpose.
Leah Siskin - NSS Aurora Quartermaster
"I have a right to be heard, to be seen, to be loved, to be free, to be everything I need, to be me, to be safe, to believe in something." I Have A Right, Sonata Arctica

Willow Harper - NSS Aurora Janitorial Staff / Civilian Staff
"They heard me singing and they told me to stop, quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock. These days, my life, I feel it has no purpose, but late at night the feelings swim to the surface. 'Cause on the suburbs the city lights shine, they're calling at me, 'come and find your kind.'" Sprawl II, Arcade Fire

Arrow768 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:28 pm
If you want to remove instant-stuns it has to go both ways.
No it doesn't. Nothing, ever, has to go "both ways". What it has to be is balanced, and that does NOT always mean "the same both ways". As has been stated by numerous people in the thread and even by admins, this isn't an issue that needs to be solved. It is balanced as is. I'll even tack on: I've never dealt with anyone abusing the para-pen for rule-breaking plays, that was not an obvious greytide. If this suddenly becomes a traitor epidemic, then maybe it will warrant a look, but it isn't, so it doesn't.

I can't support this. The parapen is one of the few bastions of non-leathal weaponry that traitors have, and even worse, it is one of the better "Stun" weapons antags get. (Here's looking at you, culties.) So I have to say -1.

Parapen is a blessing to all capture/kidnap gimmicks and shouldn't be messed with.
  • Amateur Spriter

One of the arguments was that the "insta-stun removes the rp, because it puts people out of the fight with no effort at all" with a few simmilar ones.

The issue is, that if you want to remove insta-stun mechanics, you cant just remove those that put you as a antag at a disadvantage.
You also have to remove those that are used by the antags, as the exact same arguments apply that were used to warrant the removal of the insta-stun mechanics of flashes and a few chemicals.

Yes, abductions will become more difficult and you might have to resort to alternative tactics to abduct someone.
But it is by far not a gamebreaker.
The parapen will still knock you out, it just wont be instantly.
And if you (as a traitor) are concerned about them screaming on the radio and giving away your position, then you can utilize a radio jammer or just point a gun at them.

Even the way tg does it would be an improvement over the current system. (Also note that if we do it like tg did it, then they wont be able to scream over the radio)

Code: Select all

/tg/station's Sleepy Pen:
	No injection message.
	Instant:
		Stamina loss.
		17 Second Mute.

5 second delay: 
		19 second confusion.
		19 second dizziness.

10 second delay:
		20 second sleep.
random quotes from random people
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Sorcflopter wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:37 am
The newest form I have decided to take is not a ckey, but a series of UDP requests, requests your server has to ACK and handle, that much power your server has to divert away from running ss13 for you all to tell my connection that it cant connect.

That's a flawed thought.

A flash had potentially unlimited amount of stuns, every single security officer and heads of staff had it(and robotics).
The parapen has 3 uses, is extremely obvious if used in public and you're sacrificing TC points for it which you could use for something else. To get it on station you rely on zombie-powder which relies on carps spawning, you being able to get them, grind them and extract the carp hurting juice.

Parapen is not overused.
Parapen has 3 uses.
Parapen can ONLY be obtained through the traitor menu.

There can't be an alternative if you've already removed all of the alternatives. This is just going to encourage people to stop using the parapen all-together and just stop doing these gimmick alltogether.
Note, this'll make the sleepy-ring which has a single injection completely fucking useless.
...the Hangman corrected me; "First the alien, then the Jew... I did no more than you let me do."
- "The Hangman", by Maurice Ogden.

Return to “Projects”