[Accepted] nursie's mod app #2

Basic Information

Byond Account: NursieKitty

Character Name(s): Phoebe Essel, Zuhzir Mansurhani, Symphonia, Vincent Garcia, Aserok Guwan, Shiur'izzi Xerius, Alissa Kihrbusihr, Mousashei Prua, aaaand those are the ones I currently play.

AI Name(s): None! I barely play the role, if ever.

Discord username + tag:  Currently it is "rock collecting cat#8952"

Timezone: EST

When are you on Aurora?: I tend to wake up at around 3 PM and go to bed around 4 AM. I usually play the much later hours, please don't make fun of me, I know my sleep schedule is terrible.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?: Oh, god, I have no idea. Years. At least more than ten years.

How long have you played on Aurora: Four or five? You can see that I'm not very good at keeping track of time.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: A fair amount. I say proudly that I am very adept at medical, but that's also kind of about it. I know more about the game itself than I know how to play it.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?: I was a mod/admin here for a year before I resigned. Was it more than a year?

Have you read through the criteria thread; https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4198 - and believe that you mark off all the criteria?: I do.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: To my recollection, I was banned for a couple of hours during the time I first started playing here, but there are no notes of it.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: It's insane. Anything can happen. I've had ridiculous fun on hippie, spamming the moth scream, and stealing teeth so that I can string them on a necklace, only to come on here and have to navigate through the dramatic tension of negotiating a hostage exchange.

Why do you play on Aurora?:love the dramatic tension possible on Aurora. I mean, not every situation is dramatic, of course - some times it's ridiculous science fantasy nonsense, like a bluespace cascade, or something light and cutesy like planning a lunch date with friends, or, I don't know, a governing body trying to annex an entire planet. Also I have a lot of friends here and I could never leave if I wanted to.

What do moderators do?: They need to be there for the players, first and foremost. You solve problems so that the round can go on unhindered, you help newer players settle in so

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?: I think, especially now, it takes someone with a lot of patience and willingness to help someone that may not fit a standard of "competent" at the game. A staff member is someone that players should feel is trustworthy, and someone that they should feel comfortable sharing grievances with. Most of all, it's a people job. 

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I miss it. Being on the staff team gave me the opportunity to be the change I wanted to see on Aurora.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?: One of my favorite things about being staff was getting to help new people with the game. You could probably tell by this application, because I cannot stop mentioning it, and I've also tried not to stop doing it when I'm on the server. Also, there's something about staff work that makes it easier for me, and that's that everything is instantaneous. It's fast-paced. I think it melds really well with how my brain works - there's no time for humming and hoing over an ahelp. You have to move and develop problem solving skills at a pretty quick rate.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: When I made my first application a couple years ago, I made a joke about "being inclined to insult them back."

As it turns out, that wasn't much of a joke.

I have a quick tendency of "seeing red" as Abosh put it when we talked. I get heated very quickly and I make dumbass decisions if can't chill the fuck out. It's something I'm working on presently, and it's probably something I'm going to work on for the rest of my life. As far as I remember, I never insulted a player during my time on the staff team, but it's one of the last things I'd want to see.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

P1FaL9m.gif

Edited by ReadThisNamePlz

+1 She retired, only fair she be able to pick up where she left off. Already committed to playing fairly often enough to be a regular in the afternoon/evening, and midnight or later, EST. A good player, friendly and competent. Please add her back. Though, I'd prefer I wasn't banned for rambo'ing, in the future.

15 minutes ago, AmoryBlaine said:

+1 She retired, only fair she be able to pick up where she left off. Already committed to playing fairly often enough to be a regular in the afternoon/evening, and midnight or later, EST. A good player, friendly and competent. Please add her back. Though, I'd prefer I wasn't banned for rambo'ing, in the future.

Thank you, but I don't expect to pick up where I left off. It's only fair that I pass a trial just like everyone else.

Sorry, Nursie, you probably saw this coming, but -1.

I disagree with your playstyle (particuarly with Zuzhir, but there are definitely problems I have with your other characters as well), and when I raised these concerns with you, you were not interested.

I remember a point in dsay a while ago where you made a comment about people who play pro-ATLAS anti-Xeno characters having problems IRL. The tone of these messages did not imply you were joking.

I remember recently when a tonne of people were roasting Nikov in OOC, and rejoiced when one of his friends got sick of it and left. You were talked to about this at the time. I think that was disgusting behaviour. 

NursieKitty: i've never made the pretense of liking or being nice to nikov and i'm not gonna start

I do not like your general demeanour, and I believe you are right when you say you can get angry very quickly. For an online game, this is very concerning for someone who's meant to be in an administrative position. Direct, personal insults or issues are one thing, but if you find yourself getting angry (not just frustrated) at the game with any degree of frequency, that's concerning to me.

However, one thing that I like:

I think, especially now, it takes someone with a lot of patience and willingness to help someone that may not fit a standard of "competent" at the game.

I like this. I think you're right that we place a degree of importance on 'competency' that I think is completely unfounded and unproductive to a roleplay environment.

But, when it comes down to it, I don't believe that you would make an ideal staff member. I don't remember much of your time administrating, but I don't remember being particularly enthused. Sorry, Nursie.

If you have any questions about this, feel free to ask or PM me. I'm happy to justify anything I've put forward here.

I've always liked nursie and the decisions she's made, though I haven't interacted with her much personally. I'd like to see her on trial again; she's done well in the past, and seems willing to work on the issues with herself that she recognizes. Though if such things aren't worked on, then I suppose I don't think she'd have the proper demeanor to be staff. A trial period would be good to see if she's dedicated to the role and to changing herself for the better.

+1

I easily think the biggest problem with Nursie in the past wasn't so much attitude at it was inactivity. For months now I've seen consistent activity and every time I log onto the server, she's always in the who list or talking in OOC. With that in mind, I would say the application has my support, good personality. Firm yet not too strict, and now consistently active.

• 3 weeks later...

You were decent on staff but I found there were attitude problems sprinkled around your tenure. I felt that sometimes you made things personal even and resorted to ad hominem when trying to argue your point. You also tended to side towards some inflammatory comments towards members of the community.

It’s one thing to be able to handle tickets and another for the community to feel comfortable about you in a position of being staff. 

With that being said, I’m curious about your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2019 at 02:51, Aboshedab said:

You were decent on staff but I found there were attitude problems sprinkled around your tenure. I felt that sometimes you made things personal even and resorted to ad hominem when trying to argue your point. You also tended to side towards some inflammatory comments towards members of the community.

It’s one thing to be able to handle tickets and another for the community to feel comfortable about you in a position of being staff. 

With that being said, I’m curious about your thoughts.

I'm really thankful you made those problems clear to me during my tenure. Like I said, it's something I'm probably going to work on for the rest of my life, but now that I know about it, I can keep it in check, and the people close to me can help.

I can't speak for any other players. If they have misgivings with me, I can only hope they learn to trust me in the future.