Revert the Great Maint Access-pocalypse of 2019

GreenBoi

Ok, I don't think that many people actually liked the maintenance access-changes, and I personally want it all reverted. There's so little maintenance access now, which is kinda shit because it defeats some of the reasons it was added. Mainly the fact that Antagonists cannot abuse the fact most people lack maint access that well because most antags are CREW-ANTAGS and they DON'T HAVE THE ACCESS. Alternatively, they can hack but if they leave IDscan cut for them to escape- that allows others to follow them.

I'm in belief it should be fully reverted, so Security isn't literally unable to touch any antag that closes a maint door without whining to Command, and so that other roles have maint access that doesn't suck (A good portion of maint is considered 'general maint' so being restricted to dept-only maint sucks a lot more than you'd expect). Also for this partially because I hate how Assistants got maint access for about a month, and then it got removed straight after because of this little meme.

I probably haven't written this in the best way, but this thread is more for people voicing their opinions on this being reverted than anything else. Happy begging.

Crew-antag can get access if they want. The only exception I can see to this are cultists. But traitors have the emag, the toolkit or the skeleton-key multitool (which can relock doors instantly), lings can eat the person with needed access, and the vampire can just ghost to go wherever they want.

Big -1 for this. Security has no reason to be able to go to maint. ICly, maintenances are only for engineers. OOCly, if they use it, it's just to powergame.

The real shame I see is that that the abandoned areas in maintenance that can be renovated get no use now, since no one can actually access them. I'd like to see at least assistants get access, so they can use stuff like the commissary again without having to get someone else to open it. Assistants are often played by newer players and this gives them a way to practice minor construction without the pressure of actually having anything expected of them.

• 2 weeks later...

As a small bump and to bring to light some interesting things:

Janitors have lost their maintenance access while Chaplains still have theirs. It is a very strange and uneven balancing, and even if this thread won't (which it probably won't) revert the PR, some roles do need maintenance access- like janitors, for cleaning.

EDIT: Chaplains don't have maint access- false positive.

Edited by GreenBoi
Guest Marlon Phoenix
On 16/01/2020 at 23:24, Meep said:

The real shame I see is that that the abandoned areas in maintenance that can be renovated get no use now, since no one can actually access them. I'd like to see at least assistants get access, so they can use stuff like the commissary again without having to get someone else to open it. Assistants are often played by newer players and this gives them a way to practice minor construction without the pressure of actually having anything expected of them.

We can probably rephrase the solution to be that the commissary's access gets changed to all-access? I can't say I've ever seen it used and its really out of the way but it does have some fun potential

11 hours ago, Marlon Phoenix said:

We can probably rephrase the solution to be that the commissary's access gets changed to all-access? I can't say I've ever seen it used and its really out of the way but it does have some fun potential

The commissary door is all access. The problem is you need to lift the shutters to get in first and reaching the buttons is only possible via maint. Of course you can just weld/hack your way in but a new player ain't going to know how to do that.

I like the change, but I’m going to compile a list of people who should have maintenance access. This list may be redundant, because I’m not actually sure who got it yanked away because I was on break when the PR went through.

Head of Security

All Engineering Staff

Janitor

CMO (backup in the event there is no paramedic)

Paramedic/EMT

Detective (only because I think someone should be able to atleast poke around maintenance crime scenes with ease)

I would vastly prefer having this maintenance situation reverted back to it's previous form. A lack of access is annoying for CTs who want to collect bounties, but this maintenance access shit with officers is such a unnecessary hurdle. If it is such a concern and issue of Security doing maint sweeps when not needed and taking THE PRECIOUS MAINT LOOT!! , I would prefer a IC and/or OOC policy on conducting them.  Sure, you got access, but do you really want to randomly traipse around a dirty tunnel unless you gotta? 

On 02/02/2020 at 08:26, Butterrobber202 said:

I like the change, but I’m going to compile a list of people who should have maintenance access. This list may be redundant, because I’m not actually sure who got it yanked away because I was on break when the PR went through.

Head of Security

All Engineering Staff

Janitor

CMO (backup in the event there is no paramedic)

Paramedic/EMT

Detective (only because I think someone should be able to atleast poke around maintenance crime scenes with ease)

All heads have all access, all of eng does, janitor I'm not too sure, EMTs and paramedics have all access. Investigations do not. On the original thread there was expressed concern from Snake that the HoS being the only one with head access could encourage a idea of them having to be the front line at times, how valid this is I can't say because I don't play the role or observe their behavior. Investigations also not having access was a concerned raise by I believe Nantei/Phi. They already don't have much to do and investigating a scene proper can be a bitch with access requirements, the change only made it worse. 

On 01/02/2020 at 19:36, GreenBoi said:

Janitors have lost their maintenance access while Chaplains still have theirs. It is a very strange and uneven balancing, and even if this thread won't (which it probably won't) revert the PR, some roles do need maintenance access- like janitors, for cleaning.

Do they though? For cleaning? Because I always see those heroic janitors with insulated gloves and such.

On 17/01/2020 at 00:11, Gromnax said:

Big -1 for this. Security has no reason to be able to go to maint.

Dunno, I always request a guest pass, or go to the HoPs for my maint access. Some give it, some don't, some get ganked in maint for this :) 

On 17/01/2020 at 05:24, Meep said:

I'd like to see at least assistants get access, so they can use stuff like the commissary again without having to get someone else to open it.

100% agree. For the commissary, not to get lost in the tunnels below the engine.

On 02/02/2020 at 14:31, Zundy said:

Make maint' all access. Better antag gimmicks and more fun for all the family. Tunnel runner dregs represent.

Did that a lot as cargo tech. Meeting random people in maint always makes for good RP and creepy situations. And the main reason why I am on the side of giving everyone access. It's hilarious and fair, does not take anything away from antags.

Here comes the biggest thonker as HoS player. I cannot access the Smes rooms. Those are antag bunkers for whatever hilarious reasons. Like a 100% secure area for antags only. No clue why that is a thing, seems really off.  Ninjas can always teleport into those and it's just astonishing. Same goes for maintenance access removal. It does not allow you to enter any department doors, so it is of little use at best for my valid hunting thirst.

If the biggest reason for the change- as understood by the playerbase- is maint loot, remove the maint loot. As of now, it serves little function to anyone other than sort of prize for traitors wanting to waste TC on accessing an area where no one is.

Yes, you can hide back there. Yes, you can hypothetically gather a cult back there. But that is severely cutting down the likelihood of actual fluid interaction between antags and stationeers. It is wholly on the antag to seek out the interaction, since the safest area is now essentially devoid of any threats and it is unlikely that outside an known threat being in maint will security actually enter.

How maint and security function now, is fairly poor. The only means to accessing maint are through a station wide removal of ID locks, going and getting your ID upgraded, or dragging someone else along with you to act as a doorman in what is likely a dangerous situation, given the need to access the area in the first place. None of these options actually make sense if there's an emergency requiring you to be there. If there's an emergency requiring Sec in maint, you don't open all the doors. You don't go to the bridge and get your individual IDs upgraded by a command member who is hopefully in the round. You don't drag more people into the situation.

Revert the change, don't revert it. I don't care about I already got used to it as is. But it's clearly a flawed concept, and has been executed poorly.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

I like this new maint change. Ive been meeting more people in suprise interactions in their maint areas and in general people are meandering into it more but not looting the entire maint wing because their access is still reasonable to areas of maint.

• Gem locked this topic