Jump to content

CatsinHD

CCIA Leaders
  • Posts

    524
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CatsinHD

  1. Imma go ahead and throw my 2 cents in. Full disclosure, I am an FR-main. Right now, my chief concern is getting patients to and fro, as that is both MY gameplay loop AND enables the rest of medical's gameplay loop. I like the stairs are dangerous PR, but as Sparky Hotdog put it, it would've been better as a test-merge. While idc as much about crates, given those are not time sensitive, it does cause major issues for FR in many situations. As a gentle reminder, while the MAIN elevator is incredibly fast, the unprotected elevators by security and the morgue are horrendously slow. I sincerely mean slow. A red tag would die waiting for one those elevators to reach your floor. Ask me how I know. So, what about the proposed "fixes" (fixes is a bad term but I'm not a wordsmith)? Remapping the Horizon to meet ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act for those not aware) standards would be amazing. Ensuring the depressed wheelchair main can get their daily allotment of booze from the bar would be nice, rather than being blocked by the deadly stairs and a lack of maintenance access. This is the ideal, and ultimate end goal. HOWEVER, I am very concerned about the proposed 3 deck elevator for Medical. 1. Those elevators are an OSHA nightmare (please dear god can we code in safety locks on the doors?) and 2. they are ungodly slow making it unviable for most critical cases That being said, those 2 points are either going to cause a flame war and a debate I don't have the energy for or can be fixed with relatively simple code changes afaik. What about hoverbeds? I like hoverbeds, they're neat. While I would normally say yes to adding 2 of them to FRs, if the Horizon really can be remapped (and the above concerns are addressed), then I'd honestly say no and instead leave them to science for production. You'll see why in the next paragraph. Do I want to completely get around the PR? No. It is more "realistic", but as has been pointed out before, the Horizon is a shitshow in terms of design when you take the stairs changes into account. However, we should also mind the difference between a hard counter and soft counter. Dangerous stairs but free elevators is only a soft counter. A hard counter is dangerous stairs and NO elevator, or unviable elevators (in the case of the vines outbreak). Soft counters generate RP and force changes in strategy. Hard counters make me want to cryo and stop playing the role. The soft fix is remapping the Horizon, the hard fix is hoverbeds. TLDR; remap the Horizon and let science produce hoverbeds. Am I a salty FR main? Yes.
  2. iirc the current green-top scanners are technically an advanced all-in-one machine including all of those (at least MRI). We could probably roll in this fluff into the scanner itself. Might not be fluff or a separate item, but being able to attach scans to a rollerbed would be sovl. I wanna see more posters in medical (or just in general actually). Fluff and soul. Alternatively: Fish tank in the lobby
  3. I will say, everyone is cooking and I love that. One idea I'd like to posit is to restrict how much is revealed via announcement to hopefully lead to 2 things: Potential injury that can spur on medical involvement The need to actually investigate errors I suggest this mainly to avoid things slipping into the territory of immediately responding to the funny red text and add some spice. Obviously for dangerous events, like an SM power surge, something would be announced. Alternatively, if an announcement is still desired, make it vague. Something that tells you something happened, but not what exactly
  4. I tend to change my themes based on the arc the character is in, or use specific songs for their relationship with others, but alas, I am ever curious how other see it. So, I present forth Maryah Marakova, the First Responder from Himeo. It can be based on vibes, or interactions with the character.
  5. IPC organs... no but seriously, I can come up with a handful of components of a robot that could make a system in an IPC that is similar to an organic's organ system, that could lead to "symptoms" and the diagnosis process that medical gets. This, I think, is the main point I'd like to see at a minimum. Another point is specializing frames a little further. Industrial frames get welding protection, ZH frame gets integrated scanner or something similar, etc. I don't really think the frames should be nerfed in that more hazards effect them; the point of an IPC is to better adapted for hazardous environments (for some frames at least). The except is maybe Shells. On nanopaste: Remember that nanopaste is used for far more than just IPC repair. I would much rather it just isn't changed because: It is one of very few ways for IPC repair when a machinist is missing, it is essentially the only form of IPC first aid, medical relies on it for mechanical organ repair when a machinist is missing. That last point is huge, btw. If a machinist is gone, and a mechanical organ is damaged, without nanopaste that character is fucked. Just something to remember. IPCs should be DIFFERENT to repair, not harder or easier (when compared to organics rn they're easier). Part of the appeal of an IPC is the ability for a company to essentially repair them to good as new as long as the Posi is fine (and they have the money). I don't feel we need to add in an aspect of "you can't just come back good as new" when that's part of the value. The obstacle is money, which is something that needs to be remembered in RP.
  6. I am fine with both geeves' and the OP's solution, as long as Staff are exempt from the nuclear option (as I too lobby sit in hopes I can fax format poor BCs). Just please dear god can we finally end the "50 players but 4 readies???" meme. It's the same thing with the HorizonShip meme. It was funny a few times, please just nuke it off the server. While this may be out of scope of this thread, I would posit the idea for the server to automatically set the SSD tag to characters in game. Idk when the cutoff is, but at some point there's a funny purple text addition to examining someone that says how long they've been AFK/disconnected for. When that happens, their manifest tag should be set to SSD automatically as well (it also helps for people who had to relog). Ideally, it would be set back to active when they become active again.
  7. I mean, I don't think I've personally come across a situation where I've needed a catch-all term for Aurora's lore when talking with someone outside of the community (and explaining it is worthy of a 5 page paper at this point). But, as much as I meme around with the name Auroraverse, I do sometimes use it unironically, just mostly within the community. As for the name... yeah, let's just cut off the station portion of the name. Aurora has become our server identity at this point, I don't see any reason to keep the station portion if we've gone to a ship anyways. Plus, we can finally obliterate the Horizonship meme.
  8. I will mention, quickly, that this is not entirely true. While CCIA can't make lore article posts like the LTA, the SCC quite literally has an active investigation launched by the KAF against Command for the actions during that event. IRs aren't bombastic, sure, but consequences are there. As far as my own opinions on the changes proposed, I'm not happy. As Gecko said, it's not satisfying for either side. The folks who wanted true 2iC are getting a few fluff changes but not actual 2iC. The others who didn't want 2iC (like myself) aren't getting a true 2iC but are instead getting more species restrictions (which I'm not a fan of). The changes do give justification for the restriction, but as has been said before, if we're cutting away all but 2 species for what is effectively fluff and points for people to regulation lawyer about, I just can't give support. At this point, I'm not even against true 2iC if only to give a reason behind the higher restrictions on the role. If not that, then just don't make the change. Nothing listed can't be done in round except for all access and the radio, which can already be provided by the Captain anyways. I just don't want this half-step. As for a year passing, yeah. A lot can change in a year. Life gets in the way sometimes, sure, but in that time opinions can change, people can reflect and really figure out if their original position is still the same they hold. Plus, while restrictions were possible, being a possibility doesn't mean people factor it in. But alas, I will end my parroting of earlier points already made
  9. Binned for OOC reasons
  10. I have mixed feelings on changing science to exploration. I used to be all for it, but I've done some reflecting on that and heard some arguments from others that has sorta shown me why it isn't inherently the best, and VERY difficult to implement in a way that doesn't end up like other exploration systems that fall flat and abandoned after the initial "Wow! Cool!" wears off. The thoughts I'm about to throw out are not necessarily fully formed. I want to brainstorm a little, so we can all through some food into this pot we're cooking up. RND: Bluespace Probing: Related to telescience some, Bluespace Probing is taking a bluespace portal, and maneuvering around the still mysterious realm to gather more science and data. It takes on the form of "levels" and plays similarly to the Netrunning system from Cyberpunk Red. Each level, you can take a certain action. Some levels have dangerous "enemies" that can end your probing if not defeated. Some levels spawn artefacts at the portal if you choose to bring them out, etc. And, perhaps, the end point of one of these probing missions is a generated Bluespace Away Site, that you can then explore for whatever benefit. General Probing: We're a ship searching for phoron, and we have a whole ass mining system on our ship. Give science the ability to probe planets. Scans give the atmosphere, what if science probes give mineral composition and other info that mining could find useful? I doubt RND in its current state can really be transitioned in a satisfying way to something that can last beyond the initial cool factor, which is why I'd rather shift it to a new focus, like the ones mentioned above. Emphasis bluespace more, emphasis scanning and probing more. And does it really make sense to have traditional RND on a mobile space ship? Xenobio: Revamping xenobio to move beyond slimes (however for the sake of simplicity, I will continue to use the word slimes). I feel like the best route here is to combine it with the above probing system, a xenofauna system on planets, and keeping the slime system. Slimes allow it to still have a loop and mechanical benefit, while the other 2 allow for some variability and RP opportunities. Now, these second 2 systems will be very RP focused as finding a mechanical benefit is... hard with xenofauna. But, cooking up some "xenofauna report" documents for xenobiologists would give some goal to bringing back strange new xenofauna. This might need some extra tools and systems to examine and perhaps dissect xenofauna to get certain traits that can then be noted down. Xenobotany: I think xenobot really just needs a brush up. Overhaul the system itself, maybe, but beyond adding in a way to rope in xenoflora on planets, it isn't that bad of a system. Xenoarch: Probably the best off section of RD so far. Adding more artefact types would be best. Also, give them the ability to set up tents and site camps. Maybe even the ability to dig down? There's some room to cook here, but it's still got the most going for it atm. Now, again, not the most well developed thing. This is just me putting a pot on the stove and adding some stock. Feel free to add on. I will go ahead and address this. Exploratory chem is dead, and not coming back. Secret chems/recipes are not wanted, which ultimately betrays the point of exploratory chem in its base idea. A dev can correct me if I got this wrong, but a discussion on sci not too long ago had this point brought up and addressed by a head dev. Science at it's current state is a hodge podge of old systems that we inherited and relatively new systems that were mostly built around a asteroid and stationary station. It's not the best for a general purpose cruiser, so adjusting it to reflect its new environment would be the best course of action either way.
  11. I've talked to Kodiak/Opossum/Hawkington for... damn near 3 years now. I thought then as I do now: Hawkington/Opossum is a perfectly capable roleplayer who has an endless bag of thoughts and ideas for just about any situation and character. Alongside this, having seen their rounds in medical and security, I have no doubts of their ability to play as a CMO and HoS. The fact it took this long to see a command app from them is a feat in of itself. So, without further ado, I updoot with app with a solid +1
  12. NM is, by far, one of the top 3 players I have ever RP'ed with on Aurora. Both in-game and oocly, he takes care to play and write compelling and lore driven characters that always have at least a solid chunk of the server flocking to talk with them. I have no doubt his ability to write a well fleshed out (or wired out in this case) character would change at all with IPC. This is without a doubt a solid +1.
  13. Hi! I certainly can. When it comes to self-preservation, there's 2 sides to it: Hardware and software. Obviously, IPCs can't feel pain but it doesn't stop their chassis or positronic from getting too damaged and becoming unrepairable and thus scrap. On the software side, there is getting wiped, which effectively removes memories, and for all intents and purposes resets the positronic and removes what makes you you. In the case of Ayudante, it knew that its place in Solarian society was to be a tool, regardless of how the local community saw it. This has driven its continued search for purpose (or value in its eyes), as well as a search for freedom, since without value there's no reason to keep a positronic, and without freedom it's subject to the whims of someone else who might deem it as without worthwhile value. While in San Colette, the best it could do was appease the handler and higher ups in the PPSC since Sol had no path to self-ownership. It's led to a cautious approach to many situations since that is the best way to end with manageable outcomes. Much of what's led to Ayudante being placed on the Horizon was out of its direct control with the auction and purchase by the PMCG, but it's something Ayudante has plans to take advantage of now that it will be out of Sol and instead on a Tau Ceti vessel and can actively work towards self-ownership. Joining the Civil Guard was an interesting choice in that war is naturally destructive, but Ayudante saw it as this: If it did not fight, there is a chance it will get destroyed anyways in a bombardment (especially in villaviciosa), or get forcefully re-assigned or scrapped. If it chose to fight, it would at least have a better chance to destroy what threatened to destroy it, as well as still have a value to San Colette. The best bad choice, essentially, and one of the few times it had a major decision that was driven in part by self-preservation.
  14. I also quite like this idea, and also makes the fluff line on the sensor readings mean something
×
×
  • Create New...