[Denied] Command Whitelist APP - TheOrleans

BYOND key: TheNewOrleans (before: TheOrleans, but I lost the password to that account and the email, however the notes and all were merged to my new account)

Character names: The ones I play enough to be recognized:

- Nick Volvalaad, Security Officer

- Shaun Draxler, Quartermaster

- Anatoly Kovacs, Detective

- Lex Kozlov, Engineer

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: Nearly one year, this forum account was created 22 Sept 2018, probably since the beginning of September.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: I think have good and interesting ideas to create roleplay. I'm one of those players who tends to help players, both new ones and experienced ones if they have any doubt I can answer. I would also like to take a step forward getting more responsability over the server (since I know that Heads have an OOC responsability too). In the past I've been a conflictive player, now I think I'm reformed, and I really want to know if I'm fit for an important role in the server. This, if accepted, will be my first step in order to start helping in the server, instead of being a simple player who enjoys without 'adding' anything.

Why did you come to Aurora?: I've been searching and testing systems to roleplay, and roleplay servers on many games. GTA SA (SAMP and MTA), ARMA, Forum Roleplay, Chat Roleplay... when I found SS13, I knew this was the best platform for roleplay (at least, from the ones I know). And well, I think Aurora holds the better community in terms of roleplay, the most serious one. I tried Aurora and, well, here I am, nearly a year after.

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?: I've read all the jobs on the wiki (cause I've played in nearly every role, at least once), and many many pages. I love to read wikis and LORE, so yes, I've read the Head ones too, all of them. 

Have you received any administrative actions? And how serious were they? Yes I have. Probably, we were all punished at some point, it's part of learning. It helps to have the warnings there to read what you did wrong in the past in order to not repeat it. I would also like to be able to see my notes, probably there's a lot of stuff there, and I could learn a lot about it. I've received one 3-days-ban around 7 months ago (totally deserved, huge powergaming, I was trolling hard that day, but I promise that's not me anymore), and since the day I joined, a total amount of 6 warnings (4 expired, 2 active, one of the actives one is being discussed at the moment).

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

I think the word itself tells us all we need to know. Roleplay it's the game of fitting a role in a proper way, including in the word 'role' the whole character, personality, reactions, knowledge, feelings. Playing in a roleplay is like being a writer in an interactive story, and the best thing about is to adapt to the story, you know what you create (the character), and you know how you would like his story to be, but you never know how it will end, and you will enjoy this a lot if you really enjoy the roleplay. You write along with other writers in a big environment, and that's not something you can get anywhere else. That's the essence of roleplay in my humble opinion.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame? What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

I don't know if I'm allowed to do this, I will change it if this is wrong. I'm mixing both of these questions and give them a single answer since I think I can answer this better if linked together.

As I said before, I know that Heads have an IC responsability of course, but a big OOC responsability too. We don't have the 'Mentor' figure in this server, I would say Heads are this figure. Someone you can speak to, someone who is there to help you, to guide you. It's also their responsability to take care of high-stress situations in an OOC way too, since, at least for me it was very difficult to pace myself in these situations when I was new in the server. A head of staff has to be a guide and a mentor. Also, although this does not happen very often, I think that Heads have the responsability to help drive the roleplay, especially in rounds where ''nothing is happening'', by this I mean, if an extended round has nothing but chair roleplay and small interactions, it's appreciated (or at least, I appreciate it) if a Head decides to host an event, for example a CQC training in case of a HoS. This helps players to meet new people, enforces roleplay situations... however, you have to be careful when doing this, it's easy to overwhelm people if you do it too many times or in an agressive way.

Could you give us the gist of what is currently happening in Tau ceti and how it affected your character and their career?

I don't know how to answer this probably, I will try. I gather my information from the Galactic News and the canon events that happened on-board. I will focus on saying how affected my characters (mostly Nick, since I play him the most)

General Context: Aut'ahk arrival due to the internships and being refugees, the peacekeeper project using vaurca warforms, the tajara liberation army enlistment, ATLAS relocation, Lii'Dra attacks...

- Nick: The event that affected him the most was the peacekeeper project, since one of those rounds (canon) he was attacked by the warform after bumping on it by mistake, ending with his ribs broken, he had to release CMO Gonzales from his cell after taking down the Head of Security, since he was abusing the warform and using it as his puppet. This event left a mark on Nick, it's hard to fight your own boss in a one versus one situations in order to save the crew. After that, he was promoted to Interim Head of Security (this is a very very brief summary of the whole round). He has good relationship with all the Aut'ahks he met, since he's an augmentalist (was an ATLAS member in the past, not anymore), and he has very good relationship with all the unathi, due to his dominian past, he even tried to fight an Aut'ahk in a training combat (being totally crushed of course). He was also affected by the ATLAS events but that was long ago. He has had interactions with the Lii'Dra attacks (I'm not totally sure if all of the rounds were canon, but I'm sure some of them were)

- Anatoly: He is quite a new character, I've written all hist past regarding his work as Mendell City Detective. He was affected by the Lii'Dra attacks due to the Vaurca actions in their disctrict (district 9), but most of his past is not linked to events, but to Mendell City information (gathered from the wiki), District Eleven gangs and all.

- Shaun: He is very friendly towards Aut'ahks, he has a close relationship with unathi employees, since he served in unathi-space when he was working for the IAC. He had interactions with the peacekeeper events too, but not that much, he's very skeptical about warforms though.

My other characters are not that deep, I don't play them a lot, and they haven't been that affected.

What roles do you plan on playing after the application is accepted?

My main character is Nick, I would like him to become Head of Security, however, this is not something for the near future (he has sec-records, and not a good relationship with all the crew), but eventually, I want him to end up there, and when he is there, after a long, long development arc, I want him to do well. I will probably try to make Shaun Draxler HoP before, in order to have a first meeting with Head Job. I don't have any intention to play as Captain (for the moment), since I don't feel ready for it, and I don't think that jumping straight to Captain is a wise decision anyways. 

Characters you intend to use for command or have created for command. Include the job they will be taking.:

- Shaun Draxler would probably be my first command character, as HoP (since he has been gathering experience from his QM job), and, as I explained

- Nick will eventually (I don't have a date, when I feel he is ready) become HoS, once he improves relationship with the crew, and his own behaviour. Probably there will be a canon event sooner or later that I will use to give him a twist. Many people will be scared to see Nick in a Head position, I know he's not fit yet, don't worry, he's childish sometimes, not responsible, drinks on duty... As I said, I need to give him a twist, won't happen soon!

-I don't have any other ideas regarding the RD, CE or CMO jobs. Captain, maybe, but not soon, I don't feel ready for that spot. 

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:

I would say that I'm good, pretty good, I try to not fall in stereotypes, and to give my characters a lot of depth, meaning they will have many reactions based in their past, even if it's a little issue in the past with direct connection. I feel like I'm a good writer (although english is not my native language), and I've written before (never published though), I think that helped me to be a good roleplayer. I also think I am improving each day I play. I would also like to note something bad about my roleplay, I'm not very constant, meaning that one day I want my character to act in a way, and the next maybe I change my opinion a bit on a specific matter.

Do you understand your whitelist is not permanent, and may be stripped following continuous administrative action?

I understand that the whitelist is not permanent, and I also understand that any administrative action towards me will be more serious due to the responsability I'm accepting by being whitelisted.

Have you familiarize yourself with the wiki pages for the command roles?

Yes, as I said before, I've read a lot of the wiki, I find it very, very interesting, so I'm quite familiarized with the command pages, and with many other pages too. I've read every single job page too.

Extra notes: I will be very, very honest. I don't expect my application to be accepted (however I've put all my effort on it), but, at least, I expect to gather feedback from the people who post, and from the admins. I expect to become a member that adds something interesting to the community, as I said before, sooner or later, and I will post again in the future if I get rejected, and eventually, when deemed ready for it, I will make it :D. It's hard to feel ready anyways, cause I don't feel as good as other players who have been accepted (Shestrying for example)

Nick is terribly behaved, and would never become a Head of Security. Pirates were actively attacking the Aurora and Nick... Stayed in the bar, refusing to gear up at the armoury so he could hit on the bartender.

He also has a bunch of infractions on record, including failure to execute an order and fighting command staff.

I will support your application when I meet a character of yours that IS capable of following regulations and enforcing them properly, as I have not met your other characters and Nick just... Aint it.

4 hours ago, Azande said:

Nick is terribly behaved, and would never become a Head of Security. Pirates were actively attacking the Aurora and Nick... Stayed in the bar, refusing to gear up at the armoury so he could hit on the bartender.

He also has a bunch of infractions on record, including failure to execute an order and fighting command staff.

I will support your application when I meet a character of yours that IS capable of following regulations and enforcing them properly, as I have not met your other characters and Nick just... Aint it.

I mean, first that's non-canon round, and second, I said that's an idea for the future, in months, probably not even this year. People change, Azande, and in your life you probably know many people who changed a lot.

And yes, he has a bunch of infractions, that's why I said I need a lot of time and the proper canon event and proper situations to give him a twist.

It's so easy to make a character who follows all the regulations and has 0 personality, don't think we're judging that here. However, I appreciate your feedback. It's a bit unfair to me to get a -1 for having an IC conflictive character, but I understand your point.

However, I pointed out that Nick is not ready for Command, and also pointed out that he won't be ready in the near future. 

Edited by TheOrleans
1 hour ago, TheOrleans said:

I mean, first that's non-canon round, and second, I said that's an idea for the future, in months, probably not even this year. People change, Azande, and in your life you probably know many people who changed a lot.

And yes, he has a bunch of infractions, that's why I said I need a lot of time and the proper canon event and proper situations to give him a twist.

It's so easy to make a character who follows all the regulations and has 0 personality, don't think we're judging that here. However, I appreciate your feedback. It's a bit unfair to me to get a -1 for having an IC conflictive character, but I understand your point.

It does not matter if it is non-canon or not. Their actions will still be taken into consideration here as this is an OOC platform. Of course, in IC, it does not exist, but even in non-canon rounds your character should still remain the same.

Just now, DeadLantern said:

It does not matter if it is non-canon or not. Their actions will still be taken into consideration here as this is an OOC platform. Of course, in IC, it does not exist, but even in non-canon rounds your character should still remain the same.

Yes, of course I understand this, but judging someone using as argument a conflictive character is a bit unfair for the person judged!

I have faith in Neworlean's understanding both of the rules and of creating three dimensional characters that I believe that they are capable of running appropriate characters as command staff, and am interested at the angle/character of the command staff they choose to utilize.

+1

4 hours ago, TheOrleans said:

However, I pointed out that Nick is not ready for Command, and also pointed out that he won't be ready in the near future. 

All rounds are canon. Only the actions related directly to antagonists is not, to be clear.

Nick would be barely eligible ICly for his IC attitude.

However, he is also barred OOCly, from say, making another character, because his behaviour is persistent over his multiple characters.

Some pointers.

One time, to put the issue shortly, he released a changeling from it's perma-cell as his detective character, to quote 'let it eat', ( I presume it was a IC friend ) despite it making it clear that it doesn't eat food. He then, as a non-antag hid behind it when it attacked and murdered half of security. I know that the round formula isn't forced crew vs antags, but that's just ridiculous.

Nick, at other times, seems averted to interaction with antags, preferring the hyper-efficient murder-arrest method to... basic negotiation and RP. This, I assume, is a extension of his 'careless asshole personality'. A certain type of personality that gets you fired, not promoted to Head of Security. This particular personality is also one that really blocks the whole '3D character' stuff out the OOC equation, because you have to really bend over backwards to see anything but a 2D asshole char. (Not talking about sprites...). Note, that I enjoy a good asshole character, just not one done like Nick.

Sorry chief, this ain't it. I don't think I'll be applying for command soon, and I know precisely why I'd be denied. Maybe you should think similarly about a whitelist?

Edited by Mogelix
reformat and reargue

I don't usually browse this section but considering I've played with Volvalaad several times since we both main security thought I'd chime in.

I don't know Orleans oocly but icly I know his character Nick very well. There is a running joke among friends of 'oh no its vovalaad' when we see him on and its not a good thing. 

Lets start with Nick. I've experienced his character do some of the most unprofessional things. Nick doesn't follow orders well; and often butts heads with my character when I was warden and even more now that I made HOS. He literally threw a hissy fit when Lin told him he should be a cadet and not a officer because of clear lack of competence as a officer. He asked to be suspended instead and toss his gear at her and was charged for battery and slander after he cursed at some one involved in the situation. He doesn't show a drive to learn despite he clearly lacks knowledge about the own laws his character is suppose to enforce and doesn't seem to care much for protocol either. I remember a specific round where another hos; before I was HOS, ask him to see him about having a talk and the HOS told me he was going to help teach Vovalaad the basics of being an officer after he said Vovalaad should be a cadet. Vovalaad decided to cryo instead...then I saw him next around. He tends to avoid wanting to learn so badly despite he really needs to be taught how to property play his own role.

Anatoly Kovacs is a hard no. I convicted a murderer who turned out to be a Ling and despite my CLEAR orders to keep the ling locked up he let them out disregarding my orders completely as HOS. Later when I told security to arrest him for gross negligence he hid behind the ling which then rampaged and killed all of security plus a ton of civs while he also helped shooting an officer in the back. He did all this as a nonantag mind you and from my point of view I saw no reason for him to so willingly give up holding a convicted murderer alien and abandon his coworkers.

OOCly I don't know him as I said however over all he has shown a play over rp mentality. He gets quick into the shoot first talk never and because he doesn't listen to orders, tactics, or anything. Him as a player playing HOS would be scary for antags. He'd be quick to just gun them down. I'm not saying my play style of Lin; who attempts to not harm people unless she must and always goes for detain over kill, is the only method of playing a sec member but I don't think having a player who rather jump to lethals over negotiation and smart tactics is a fit for command. Also because he has shown a lack for respect for anyone above his characters rank I have to wonder how he'd react to other command who he's suppose to work with if they ever nudged him wrong.

I'd like to see him willing ask for help on the problems ic instead of always avoiding the topic by any means necessary and show he is willing to take criticism and learn from it. I've seen two other HOS' both ask how his Nick character is a officer and that alone should say something if he thinks Nick is fit to be command. He has a lot to learn to take on that role from my honest opinion. Playing a couple of warden rounds and thinking he is fit for the position just doesn't cut it. Especially when he has shown time and time he doesn't want to improve. From my point of view anyways.

3 hours ago, Mogelix said:

Nick would be barely eligible ICly for his IC attitude.

However, he is also barred OOCly, from say, making another character, because his behaviour is persistent over his multiple characters.

Some pointers.

One time, to put the issue shortly, he released a changeling from it's perma-cell as his detective character, to quote 'let it eat', ( I presume it was a IC friend ) despite it making it clear that it doesn't eat food. He then, as a non-antag hid behind it when it attacked and murdered half of security. I know that the round formula isn't forced crew vs antags, but that's just ridiculous.

Nick, at other times, seems averted to interaction with antags, preferring the hyper-efficient murder-arrest method to... basic negotiation and RP. This, I assume, is a extension of his 'careless asshole personality'. A certain type of personality that gets you fired, not promoted to Head of Security. This particular personality is also one that really blocks the whole '3D character' stuff out the OOC equation, because you have to really bend over backwards to see anything but a 2D asshole char. (Not talking about sprites...). Note, that I enjoy a good asshole character, just not one done like Nick.

Sorry chief, this ain't it. I don't think I'll be applying for command soon, and I know precisely why I'd be denied. Maybe you should think similarly about a whitelist?

I'm starting to think people who answer here are mostly not reading the application.

"Nick would be barely eligible"... Did you read what I say about him?

There's a full explanation of the incident you quote right here, since you seem to be lacking quite an amount of information!

Thanks for your reply

3 minutes ago, MissNatcula said:

I don't usually browse this section but considering I've played with Volvalaad several times since we both main security thought I'd chime in.

I don't know Orleans oocly but icly I know his character Nick very well. There is a running joke among friends of 'oh no its vovalaad' when we see him on and its not a good thing. 

Lets start with Nick. I've experienced his character do some of the most unprofessional things. Nick doesn't follow orders well; and often butts heads with my character when I was warden and even more now that I made HOS. He literally threw a hissy fit when Lin told him he should be a cadet and not a officer because of clear lack of competence as a officer. He asked to be suspended instead and toss his gear at her and was charged for battery and slander after he cursed at some one involved in the situation. He doesn't show a drive to learn despite he clearly lacks knowledge about the own laws his character is suppose to enforce and doesn't seem to care much for protocol either. I remember a specific round where another hos; before I was HOS, ask him to see him about having a talk and the HOS told me he was going to help teach Vovalaad the basics of being an officer after he said Vovalaad should be a cadet. Vovalaad decided to cryo instead...then I saw him next around. He tends to avoid wanting to learn so badly despite he really needs to be taught how to property play his own role.

Anatoly Kovacs is a hard no. I convicted a murderer who turned out to be a Ling and despite my CLEAR orders to keep the ling locked up he let them out disregarding my orders completely as HOS. Later when I told security to arrest him for gross negligence he hid behind the ling which then rampaged and killed all of security plus a ton of civs while he also helped shooting an officer in the back. He did all this as a nonantag mind you and from my point of view I saw no reason for him to so willingly give up holding a convicted murderer alien and abandon his coworkers.

OOCly I don't know him as I said however over all he has shown a play over rp mentality. He gets quick into the shoot first talk never and because he doesn't listen to orders, tactics, or anything. Him as a player playing HOS would be scary for antags. He'd be quick to just gun them down. I'm not saying my play style of Lin; who attempts to not harm people unless she must and always goes for detain over kill, is the only method of playing a sec member but I don't think having a player who rather jump to lethals over negotiation and smart tactics is a fit for command. Also because he has shown a lack for respect for anyone above his characters rank I have to wonder how he'd react to other command who he's suppose to work with if they ever nudged him wrong.

I'd like to see him willing ask for help on the problems ic instead of always avoiding the topic by any means necessary and show he is willing to take criticism and learn from it. I've seen two other HOS' both ask how his Nick character is a officer and that alone should say something if he thinks Nick is fit to be command. He has a lot to learn to take on that role from my honest opinion. Playing a couple of warden rounds and thinking he is fit for the position just doesn't cut it. Especially when he has shown time and time he doesn't want to improve. From my point of view anyways.

Although I clearly specified Nick is not fit for a command role like 4 times, this answer has a lot of feedback, thank you!

Hey, I don't really have an opinion as I haven't interacted with you much. I think, based on what others are saying that there are a few ways you could go around and resolve the issues people. I know you want Nick to grow into a head position, but perhaps starting that before pushing for the head position would have been nice to see. People would have less issue if they already saw marked improvement. Perhaps make a character that, even if you don't plan to use them as a head, shows people that you OOCly understand the behavior they want to see and that you are capable of it. KEep in mind, Heads of staff are people too and can have odd bits about them, such as bias and prejudice. There are other quirks they are allowed to have as well. NT would want people with those quirks to prove they have them under control and can act without them when a situation calls for it. Just some thoughts, good luck.

9 minutes ago, Xelnagahunter said:

Hey, I don't really have an opinion as I haven't interacted with you much. I think, based on what others are saying that there are a few ways you could go around and resolve the issues people. I know you want Nick to grow into a head position, but perhaps starting that before pushing for the head position would have been nice to see. People would have less issue if they already saw marked improvement. Perhaps make a character that, even if you don't plan to use them as a head, shows people that you OOCly understand the behavior they want to see and that you are capable of it. KEep in mind, Heads of staff are people too and can have odd bits about them, such as bias and prejudice. There are other quirks they are allowed to have as well. NT would want people with those quirks to prove they have them under control and can act without them when a situation calls for it. Just some thoughts, good luck.

I guess I will have to do that, I knew people would be scared when I said I want Nick to be HoS at some point. Thing is no one decided to read enough to notice that I'm as opposed as they are for the moment.

I wanted to use another Shaun as head for the time being, but I guess Nick is kind of "absorbing" the real me in the server (at least for the ones who never interacted in-depth with me or Nick)

Thank you for your reply!

did you guys even read the app, Nick clearly isn’t going to be an HoS anytime soon, they state such in the app.

May-haps NewOrleans plans to, dare I say it, go through a character arc? Dear God, I can barely imagine such a thing. /s

anyways, it takes a lot of courage and determination not to change your character despite people constantly bickering about it. I've seen Nick around and while he’s an asshole, it’s reasonable assholey. 

+1, more evil heads tbh

The best way I can describe RPing with or seeing your characters is tiring.

You toe the line a lot between what's acceptable IC and OOC behavior and what's not. While I know you're saying Nick isn't your head of staff for this app, it's still important to bring up how people experience RP with the character you're most infamous for (One that, frankly, I would be happy to never see on the manifest again). And from what I've seen from you, I don't believe that at this point in time you're capable of creating a character that would be a decent head of staff. I get a strong vibe of wanting to always be in the spotlight from you, as well as self-antagging behavior disguised under "Oh he's just an asshole." Very rarely do I get the sense that you care about driving the round for the people around you, rather than just caring about your own amusement.

You're also a poor example of someone with acceptable OOC conduct. 

I like to believe in people. But your behavior, IC and OOC, your characters, and how you play, gives me no confidence at this time. I'd love to be wrong, but it's not a reputation you're going to undo quickly.  I would need to see earnest, consistent, and marked improvement in your IC and OOC behavior over a period of months, if not a year, before I would consider you fit for a head of staff trial. 

3 hours ago, Butterrobber202 said:

did you guys even read the app, Nick clearly isn’t going to be an HoS anytime soon, they state such in the app.

May-haps NewOrleans plans to, dare I say it, go through a character arc? Dear God, I can barely imagine such a thing. /s

anyways, it takes a lot of courage and determination not to change your character despite people constantly bickering about it. I've seen Nick around and while he’s an asshole, it’s reasonable assholey. 

+1, more evil heads tbh

Thank you butter for at least reading the app! 

Yeah, it's difficult and unfair in situations like these. Even after making clear Nick is not getting a HoS job anytime soon, everyone comments about Nick and that's all.

But I decided to go along with Nick, and I have to accept what I get for it

I'm not the person who will be handling this application, but I'm going to throw in my two cents.

I've got to give you a hard -1. I'm sorry but, you have an extensive history with the staff team, some of it being recent. I don't think you are currently command material. I feel like you need to go a certain period of time without running into any sort of administrative trouble, along with improving the way Nick and your other characters are played. A huge red flag I see from this application is that you said "first off that was a non-canon round" when replying to someone's feedback. Canon, or non-canon, it doesn't matter. You're expected to keep the HRP standards we have here on Aurora. If you can't do that in an unwhitelisted role, like Security Officer, why should you be allowed the chance to do it in a whitelisted role, like Head of Security? Or possibly even Captain? 

I don't mean to be rude, but in my solid opinion, you are currently nowhere near command staff material. However; this could change if you straighten your roleplay and conduct up. 
Again, I'm not the person handling this application.

A little edit: I'm aware Nick isn't the person you'll be using right away. I used them as more of an example of why I don't think you're command staff material.

Edited by ReadThisNamePlz
47 minutes ago, ReadThisNamePlz said:

I'm not the person who will be handling this application, but I'm going to throw in my two cents.

I've got to give you a hard -1. I'm sorry but, you have an extensive history with the staff team, some of it being recent. I don't think you are currently command material. I feel like you need to go a certain period of time without running into any sort of administrative trouble, along with improving the way Nick and your other characters are played. A huge red flag I see from this application is that you said "first off that was a non-canon round" when replying to someone's feedback. Canon, or non-canon, it doesn't matter. You're expected to keep the HRP standards we have here on Aurora. If you can't do that in an unwhitelisted role, like Security Officer, why should you be allowed the chance to do it in a whitelisted role, like Head of Security? Or possibly even Captain? 

I don't mean to be rude, but in my solid opinion, you are currently nowhere near command staff material. However; this could change if you straighten your roleplay and conduct up. 
Again, I'm not the person handling this application.

A little edit: I'm aware Nick isn't the person you'll be using right away. I used them as more of an example of why I don't think you're command staff material.

As I said, I didn't expect this to be accepted, no hard feelings, but it was a good way to gather feedback, and collect information! Thank you RTNP

Hello.

I will be handling the application. I am going to let it sit for a few days and gather feedback. I might post a few questions in regards to the application in a couple days, so I need you to pay attention to the thread, as well as I ask that you anwer to any questions or issues the people on the thread might bring up.

I'll see you again in a few days.

6 hours ago, TheOrleans said:

Thank you butter for at least reading the app! 

Yeah, it's difficult and unfair in situations like these. Even after making clear Nick is not getting a HoS job anytime soon, everyone comments about Nick and that's all.

But I decided to go along with Nick, and I have to accept what I get for it

I'd like to note that I wasn't commenting solely on Nick or any of your other characters in particular. I was commenting on you using a character, Nick or otherwise, to prove to the community that you have what it takes make the whitelist. You can still play characters that are rough around the edges and even simply "bad" from an IC perspective, but people need to see that you are even remotely capable of playing characters that make them believe you have the capacity to use the role properly. The reason I brought up Nick at all is because he is the character people see the most and you mentioned eventually wanting him in a command role, to which I mentioned that he should show marked improvement. I hope I didn't come across judgemental because of you or your characters as I've had little more than a passing interaction with any of them. I don't play security and I've not bothered playing any command role since I returned to the community to ensure I learn all the new lore and other things before I play a decision making character, so I haven't had many chances to closely interact with you. I will begin making an effort to watch for you when I am on the server, maybe I can find actually helpful information to give you a proper show of if I support you or not. Either way, best of luck again.

10 hours ago, Butterrobber202 said:

+1, more evil heads tbh

The issue is that the other characters are played rarely, so the applicant has shown barely any ability to make a character that DOES adhere to regs and expectations for their position. I want to see if they are capable of that first, and Nick isn't ASSHOLELY, he's outright incompetent - literally trying to get a girlfriend while the station is being bombed and ignoring calls to come to the armoury... For a booty call.

I just want to be able to see you actually play the other characters and see what they are like.

7 hours ago, Azande said:

The issue is that the other characters are played rarely, so the applicant has shown barely any ability to make a character that DOES adhere to regs and expectations for their position. I want to see if they are capable of that first, and Nick isn't ASSHOLELY, he's outright incompetent - literally trying to get a girlfriend while the station is being bombed and ignoring calls to come to the armoury... For a booty call.

I just want to be able to see you actually play the other characters and see what they are like.

Exactly this. You need to prove that you can make a good character, promises just don't work. I also severely doubt Nicks ability for redemption, given his current attitude + character direction.

Nick, or a similar type of character, would not be a good 'evil command staff', like a proper moustache twirling villain. He'd be more of a loyalty implanted idiot. Less evil, and more just 'incompetent and illegible.' Which just doesn't get hired. I also, and maybe this is just ignorance+ different time zones, but I have never seen Draxler. Maybe he's really good, but should one good character justify giving command privileges to someone with... otherwise miffy characters + recent history?

I retain my minus one.

Edited by Mogelix
9 hours ago, Azande said:

9 hours ago, Xelnagahunter said:

I'd like to note that I wasn't commenting solely on Nick or any of your other characters in particular. I was commenting on you using a character, Nick or otherwise, to prove to the community that you have what it takes make the whitelist. You can still play characters that are rough around the edges and even simply "bad" from an IC perspective, but people need to see that you are even remotely capable of playing characters that make them believe you have the capacity to use the role properly. The reason I brought up Nick at all is because he is the character people see the most and you mentioned eventually wanting him in a command role, to which I mentioned that he should show marked improvement. I hope I didn't come across judgemental because of you or your characters as I've had little more than a passing interaction with any of them. I don't play security and I've not bothered playing any command role since I returned to the community to ensure I learn all the new lore and other things before I play a decision making character, so I haven't had many chances to closely interact with you. I will begin making an effort to watch for you when I am on the server, maybe I can find actually helpful information to give you a proper show of if I support you or not. Either way, best of luck again.

I think you're both totally right. I play Nick the most, like at least 2/3 of the rounds I play are with Nick, cause I enjoy playing him the most, cause he has a well-built past, and he has lots of interactions with different people, some hate them, and, believe it or not, some like him. But, since the character is kind of ''absorbing'' me in the terms of how the community thinks I am, I probably have to use Draxler or other characters to show that I can play other things not just assholey characters. Thank you for your replies.

2 hours ago, Mogelix said:

Exactly this. You need to prove that you can make a good character, promises just don't work. I also severely doubt Nicks ability for redemption, given his current attitude + character direction.

Nick, or a similar type of character, would not be a good 'evil command staff', like a proper moustache twirling villain. He'd be more of a loyalty implanted idiot. Less evil, and more just 'incompetent and illegible.' Which just doesn't get hired. I also, and maybe this is just ignorance+ different time zones, but I have never seen Draxler. Maybe he's really good, but should one good character justify giving command privileges to someone with... otherwise miffy characters + recent history?

I retain my minus one.

Well, in fact, one ''good'' character in terms of being more kind and that should be a good proof of my capability of playing different types of character, yeah. Also, that thing you say about ''character direction''. I wish to state a complaint against the players who hate Nick. You show me how much you ''don't like'' the character, but you show it OOCly. It would be interesting if anyone took serious actions against Nick. Nick has never lost an Incident Report, and he has, for sure, given enough reasons to be reported to the CCIAA's like a hundred times.

Thank you all for your replies.

9 hours ago, TheOrleans said:

You show me how much you ''don't like'' the character, but you show it OOCly. It would be interesting if anyone took serious actions against Nick. Nick has never lost an Incident Report, and he has, for sure, given enough reasons to be reported to the CCIAA's like a hundred times.

He gets suspended on a round by round basis. The only reason he doesn't get Incident Reports is because no one can really bother, too much of a headache, crossing their fingers OOC action will be taken, or that you'll maybe start playing cadet.

I'd also like to say that I don't think Nick is a 3d character or a reasonable asshole. He's more of a clown, cartwheeling in and saying what he pleases, doing whatever he feels like, then shouting over comms when he is punished.

You have admitted that around 2/3 of your time spent in-game is as Nick. That leaves some pretty thin time slots to play three other characters, which now, one may become Head of Personnel, despite you admittedly, rarely playing them.

There's also, nothing stopping you from taking any position you please. You say you won't instantly give Nick HoS, but with a all of command whitelist, who's to say how long you'll play your new bob mcfriendly HoS and HoP, and start rushing to get a half-arsed IC reason to have Nick play HoS.

Edited by Mogelix