IPC Species Maintainer - Niennab

Characters:

Spoiler

mycharacters.png.32e090242489faa14669a8337e3ccb0e.png

Ckey/BYOND Username: Niennab

Position Being Applied For: IPC Species Maintainer / Deputy Lore Developer

Past Experiences/Knowledge: I used to be a “RP Admin” on the server Valikorlia from the game Graal Online.

Valikorlia was more akin to a DnD style space in that, although there was a UI and visuals, there was next to nothing in terms of game mechanics. The post stylizings were longer and in a way, people were both the DMs as well as Players. Imagine more of a Discord RP with visuals. As an RP Admin, I was there to host events, approve of peoples spells and special abilities as well as work on lore within the team. I mostly however worked on the balance of said abilities and ran events. The lore was however locked behind the 'in crowd' and so I was not able to participate in any change or additions to it. Nowadays, the server is effectively dead.

Examples of Past Work: I do not have any examples.

Additional Comments:If I become the IPC Species Maintainer, I intend on bring back SIM, SLF (or some new variant) as well as adding to existing factions (more particularly Purpose) as well as making new content that players will hopefully latch themselves onto. I would also like to pick up where Kyres stopped in the SLF Arc.

The recent SLF Arc was delightful to be apart of but I feel it's premature end didn't warrant the destruction of both SIM and SLF. A number of players, myself included, had characters associated with the factions and it was disheartening to have the two factions removed without the appropriate fight or defeat to give that sense of closure. I don't however blame anyone for this end. Life comes first. At the time of the Arc's existence, a lot of people were taking inspiration from it as antags on regular secret rounds and I think that is an amazing result to come from these events.

On the topic of character moderation, I believe that 95% of player of character issues (where perhaps someone is playing a character that goes too far against the established lore/rule set) can be solved with a conversation and a sort've gentle retconning of their character. I don't like the idea of stripping white-lists or hard retcons unless it is 100% necessary. I expect these situations to be reserved to cases of repeated abuse. This opinion of mine applies to the lore and IPCs as well. I do not want to go in and 'change' IPCs in ways that could ultimately effect not only peoples characters but the efforts that were made in the past to create content. IPCs can be varied and to me, that's okay.

If I can bribe a coder, I would like to see some smaller details added to IPCs:

Spoiler

Shells can take prosthetics other than Synthetic Skin.

IPC tags exist as a separate naming entity, allowing you to have both your character name as well as an appropriate model name and/or serial number.

And, I don't know if this is possible, but I would love to sprite slightly differing heads for the Xion, Bishop, Hephaestus and Zeng-Hu models. Allowing these units to pick from varying heads within the appropriate art direction of the race.

I will admit that I see two issues in my application. Given my lack of experience, I might be better suited for a Deputy Role, and I understand that.

Additionally, and I am curious of peoples opinions of this, but because I am in the KST timezone, I tend to frequent the low pop to American morning high pop hours. Is this an issue? Please let me know.

I decided to write my essay as a sort've passion piece, addressing the more larger picture ideas that fascinate me as a whole on synthetics as found here:

Edited by niennab
Minor formatting changes.

Your behavior on the server is very good, and I think you could work fine with the team. This application has my support.

But, I have some concerns about the SLF and the arc. How do you plan to return them? Using ic means or a rewrite/retconn?

Also, the slf arc was not meant to be something long, do you plan for it to still be short with higher intensity or something that will last longer, but will have a lower intensity?

9 hours ago, niennab said:

Additionally, and I am curious of peoples opinions of this, but because I am in the KST timezone, I tend to frequent the low pop to American morning high pop hours. Is this an issue? Please let me know.

This has given you the calmer lowpop extendo rounds where people sit with candles in the bar and you have proven time and time again that you are an amazing addition to that HRP environment. Folks still have good memories of the fun times with Finley while Flotsam and Aubrey are two of may favorites to see on the manifest during lowpop.

9 hours ago, niennab said:

I will admit that I see two issues in my application. Given my lack of experience, I might be better suited for a Deputy Role, and I understand that.

Sometimes you just got to jump into the cold water, or however that saying would work in other languages ^^

I honestly don't see an issue with this. Might even be a bonus that you don't have a long history with people. I like to think that fresh air is exactly the thing we need and I'm sure that you'll quickly grow into the job.

What you have written so far sounds great to me and I'd love to see you in the position. Having you on the server is a good thing, your behavior really is great and I feel like your IPC play is outstanding. I may not be the best one on lore questions, but if my support is of any value you've got it fully.

4 hours ago, Alberyk said:

But, I have some concerns about the SLF and the arc. How do you plan to return them? Using ic means or a rewrite/retconn?

Also, the slf arc was not meant to be something long, do you plan for it to still be short with higher intensity or something that will last longer, but will have a lower intensity?

After submitting my application I spoke with Kyres a bit and I admit I wasn't aware of the Arc's original intended result and the long history the server has had in SLF existing. It didn't feel right editing the application once submitted so, I am glad you asked!

My plan, was to make a new group. Although, (in learning) Kyres' original intent on getting rid of SLF, I do wonder if the group is or has been perceived as stale. I also do not want to step on the results/success that was made by the arc. Given the 50/50 charitable, kind and pro-IPC rights characters I run into on the server however, I do believe that we should have a form of SIM, at the minimum. I think a lot of players like to have groups and factions that they can identify with and a revived SIM in the wake of Ceres Lance's success could be that. Additionally, I would love to make new groups similarly to the Golden Deep or Purpose where their existence isn't majorly tied to the idea of IPC rights.

To answer you though, I will need to reconsider if this is what players want and if so, a new-SLF will need to be different. In terms of events, I would likely prefer something short and high intensity. Also, thank you!

2 hours ago, Cnaym said:

This has given you the calmer lowpop extendo rounds where people sit with candles in the bar and you have proven time and time again that you are an amazing addition to that HRP environment. Folks still have good memories of the fun times with Finley while Flotsam and Aubrey are two of may favorites to see on the manifest during lowpop.

Sometimes you just got to jump into the cold water, or however that saying would work in other languages ^^

Thank you! I appreciate the kind words. Perhaps I'm worrying too much over it, heh.

Despite how much Rrrrobot man is bad and your becoming a synth main, I think you'd be an amazing fit for this. One of the most involved synth players I see on server.

I'd love to see the SLF arc come back. Your approach to whitelists is rational. My question for you is, what is your opinion and take on very emotional IPCs. What is your take on IPCs who focus heavily on emotion to the point the act irrationaly and claim it to be just advanced emulation.

You have my support.

+1

14 minutes ago, Bear said:

My question for you is, what is your opinion and take on very emotional IPCs. What is your take on IPCs who focus heavily on emotion to the point the act irrationaly and claim it to be just advanced emulation.

I think it's fine to have emotional IPCs. After all, there will always be the prevalent question of if it's truly felt or just an emulation. I think it's interesting too from the basis that even if an IPC is emotional, their reasoning is ultimately going to be derived or interpreted through the lens of a positronic brain. This is a concept that I used when making Aubrey after all. By exhibiting emotion and the subtleties of conversation, she fosters a more pleasant space for her patrons.

In the case of the second point, I would need more context in addressing it but I think that given an IPC will see the world through an analytical lens, it's unlikely that they should come to that reasoning. The best example I can give is that if an IPC were to see their friend slapped, a human might jump to slap the person in question back whereas an IPC would either attempt to diffuse the situation or, in a more 'emotional' but reasonable response, try to remove either side from the scene.

I think Niennab would be an amazing fit for the role as she is an IPC main and even though IPC man bad, RPing with Aubrey during the low pop hours is incredibly fun. I would also be keen on seeing what she has planned for the SLF because that was a cool arc that I feel like more could be done with. This app has my support, for whatever that's worth as a non-moderator or higher

Alright, hi. Glad to see that you applied and I'd love to see you working in our team. Since I already talked to you about the essay in PM's, I'll just go straight to the questions:

1)I am glad to know you want to be diplomatic in case any issues with a player's IPC character arise, but I also want to know if you will be able to do what's right in case the perpetrator is being uncooperative.
2) Aside from trying to get the SLF arc going again, do you have any other plans? Are you going to try and maintain what is already there(and there is, in my opinion, enough synthetic lore already on the wiki), or will you be adding anything new?
3) What is, in your opinion, the essence of synthetic roleplay within our setting? There is no right answer to this, I just want to hear what you have to say about this.

I really like NiennaB as a player and someone who can write real goodest.

Problem is, this application and the ensuing essay lacks depth and detail, something some good questions can always fix, though!

1) A lot of players believe that the only solution to current IPC problems is doing nothing (as they do not see a problem) or changing how IPCs are played completely (making them more robotic). Where do you fall on this?

2) Some other applications use realistic elements. How well do you know these realistic elements of synthetics, and do you plan on incorporating any of them or the terms? Note, I'm a personal advocate for using realism where it benefits creativity and otherwise ditching it entirely, but I want to see your thoughts.

3) Synthetics get a lot of conflict across the server, which will inevitably backfire into you. How do you plan on coping?

4) Someone in #lore_channel starts shittalking your work really harshly, but as they're not necessarily going out of their way to target you, nobody raises this as an issue. How do you feel? How do you handle the situation?

5) What is your opinion on IPC powergaming?

6) How would you handle using and instructing Deputies?

7) Your essay brings into question a 'Synthetic Mindset'. In this case, how rigidly do you expect players to follow this?

8 (I would stick to the formatting, but it makes a ? face every time) How much malleability do you expect players to have when creating and playing IPCs?

9) What are the particular major or minor shifts you would make for Synthetic lore or canon?

10) Do you plan on incorporating more of the other synthetic factions, such as Rudatek and the Sunderers? If so, can you share some broad details? Note, if you can't, that's fine.

Good luck Nienna, and I will wait for a response to give my final opinion! But from what I've seen, you are personally an excellent person and always are fantastic to see on the server and roleplay with.

EDIT: I'd say it lacks detail more than it lacks depth. It's a very broad, overarching analysis, and none of that is bad. I think the application is good, but can be better, which is why I tried to ask so many detailed questions.

Edited by Sytic
2 hours ago, BoryaTheSlayer said:

1)I am glad to know you want to be diplomatic in case any issues with a player's IPC character arise, but I also want to know if you will be able to do what's right in case the perpetrator is being uncooperative.

I'm not worried. I personally see myself as someone fairly lax in terms of allowing people to adapt and grow within our realm of RP but I am also able to throw down the hammer if need be.

3 hours ago, BoryaTheSlayer said:

2) Aside from trying to get the SLF arc going again, do you have any other plans? Are you going to try and maintain what is already there(and there is, in my opinion, enough synthetic lore already on the wiki), or will you be adding anything new?

I personally think synthetics could use more factions and I would like to add to the wiki in that regard. Aside from being owned by a corporate, or an individual, I feel IPCs only other choice is The Golden Deep. I would almost consider Purpose a bit locked away as well. In that if a player were to read the wiki, they might need to reach out to a lore developer to truly understand the ins and outs of day to day life or to know if they can play a character from said faction. I could be wrong however those were my first thoughts after reading Purpose.

Having learned however that the SLF Arc ended as intended, I do wonder if taking it up again would be retreading the same ground. Perhaps instead of a SLF focused Arc, it could be Rudatek.

I have projects outside of the realm of RP as well. Such as shells being able to take other branded limbs, etc etc (in that block of spoiler text). And, one not originally in the first post but I will say here, I would like to change the Bishop Frame to not look so goofy.

3 hours ago, BoryaTheSlayer said:

3) What is, in your opinion, the essence of synthetic roleplay within our setting? There is no right answer to this, I just want to hear what you have to say about this.

For me, the essence of synthetic role play on the server is being almost human, but never quite achieving the perfect mimicry.

4 hours ago, Sytic said:

1) A lot of players believe that the only solution to current IPC problems is doing nothing (as they do not see a problem) or changing how IPCs are played completely (making them more robotic). Where do you fall on this?

I would say that I fall under the category of not seeing a problem, but I wouldn't consider myself someone who would do nothing if issues were properly articulated to me. I would need more context to understand what the issue is. 

4 hours ago, Sytic said:

2) Some other applications use realistic elements. How well do you know these realistic elements of synthetics, and do you plan on incorporating any of them or the terms? Note, I'm a personal advocate for using realism where it benefits creativity and otherwise ditching it entirely, but I want to see your thoughts.

I am an artist through and through so a lot of my inspiration and process of development comes more from a media mindset over a mathematical one. However having a realistic foundation can be the necessary building blocks for developing a well rounded character. 

4 hours ago, Sytic said:

3) Synthetics get a lot of conflict across the server, which will inevitably backfire into you. How do you plan on coping?

This is my biggest worry in taking on the role, if I am accepted. I hope to either cope with a support network of friends, taking time for myself or learning to properly distance myself emotionally.

4 hours ago, Sytic said:

4) Someone in #lore_channel starts shittalking your work really harshly, but as they're not necessarily going out of their way to target you, nobody raises this as an issue. How do you feel? How do you handle the situation?

I would feel hurt but I honestly doubt I would do anything. I have, on a smaller scale, endured this on the server already. Since you use the term shittalking, I will run with the assumption that means the criticism isn't constructive and so to me, It'd mean simply ignoring it and moving on.

4 hours ago, Sytic said:

5) What is your opinion on IPC powergaming?

I feel distant from the topic in that because I often do not focus on antagging and I am terrible at the game, I have been taken down as both Flotsam and Aubrey. Considering how destructive an Ion or an EMP can be as well as our inability to self heal, I don't believe that IPCs themselves are inherently power-gamey.

5 hours ago, Sytic said:

6) How would you handle using and instructing Deputies?

I would ensure that Deputies are given opportunities to contribute to the community and explore their own creative ideas. Also, for instruction, I think regular feedback is a good way to ensure everyone on the team knows what's working and what isn't.

5 hours ago, Sytic said:

7) Your essay brings into question a 'Synthetic Mindset'. In this case, how rigidly do you expect players to follow this?

I don't expect anyone to follow this, only to use it as a means of inspiration or consideration when developing their characters, if they choose to read it.

5 hours ago, Sytic said:

8 (I would stick to the formatting, but it makes a ? face every time) How much malleability do you expect players to have when creating and playing IPCs?

I would like to give players malleability when creating their characters. It's my opinion that the more freedoms one has in creating a character, the more interesting the character as well as the RP can be.

5 hours ago, Sytic said:

9) What are the particular major or minor shifts you would make for Synthetic lore or canon?

This is a hard question when I do not come from a background of lore on the server or a staff role. I would like to develop a new faction and work towards the non-RP additions mentioned in my original post, but I do not believe I can give a concrete answer until I am settled into the position, if I get the position.
Mentioned in earlier comments, however: I am interesting in the return or revival of SIM, making a new or additional faction that isn't inherently tied to IPC rights, adding to Purpose and/or continuing some form of conflict akin to the SLF Arc.

5 hours ago, Sytic said:

10) Do you plan on incorporating more of the other synthetic factions, such as Rudatek and the Sunderers? If so, can you share some broad details? Note, if you can't, that's fine.

Personally I would love to do more with the Rudatek. When I first learned about them, and the concept of Skin-Walkers in game, I found the concept genuinely harrowing, and I love that. I want to explore more of that.

On 21/10/2019 at 02:38, niennab said:

-snip-

I enjoyed those responses and only have one final question in mind!

11) Is there a point where character freedoms go too far, where their actions or messages go out of the line of expectations for what you expect of a Synthetic on the server? Why/why not?

Overall, I'm excited for Nienna. Regardless if a deputy or developer, they have a lot of care for synthetics and how they roleplay and in different ways. I believe them- I think they will try their absolute best and learn everything they can to exemplify the role of Synth Loredev.

+1 Good luck, Nienna!

Your application is fantastic, your OOC conduct is fantastic. I've not seen your writing yet, but I believe you are destined for great things. +1

Just a few questions from my side, just for curiosity's sake.

1) Will you participate more on the main Aurora discord, as well as the IPC specific one? Interacting with the playerbase you're writing for is vital. It's also incredibly useful. I've given people prompts for stuff I want to write, and they write it for me via their thoughts and suggestions.

2) Do you agree with the IPC Mechanic Rework that Kyres started? Will you allow it to be continued to work on if you get accepted? https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/6296

10 hours ago, Sytic said:

11) Is there a point where character freedoms go too far, where their actions or messages go out of the line of expectations for what you expect of a Synthetic on the server? Why/why not?

Thank you for your support!

I think it noticeably goes too far when an IPC acts in retaliation to an engagement with an explosive response instead of an analytical one. Of course I don't mean to say an IPC cannot be violent, but I take no issue in it so long as it comes from a place of logic. IPCs certainly can exhibit emotions such as anger and passion but they should be rooted in an analytical interpretation of the world.

1 hour ago, geeves said:

1) Will you participate more on the main Aurora discord, as well as the IPC specific one? Interacting with the playerbase you're writing for is vital. It's also incredibly useful. I've given people prompts for stuff I want to write, and they write it for me via their thoughts and suggestions.

2) Do you agree with the IPC Mechanic Rework that Kyres started? Will you allow it to be continued to work on if you get accepted? https://github.com/Aurorastation/Aurora.3/pull/6296

1) I doubt I will engage more on the main Aurora Discord, as it's a huge space however people are more than welcome to reach out to me. In terms of the IPC Discord, mhm! If I make either role, I will be engaging more on it. I tend to drop in here and there currently. If you Ctrl F player search "Flotsam | Aubrey Piper", you can find all of my conversations.

2) I would love to work on the mechanic rework. From a Robotics perspective, the current system can be rather annoying when I am presented with an IPC that has taken an EMP or extensive damage. Ultimately when I encounter this, it boils down to clicking the character and the targeting limb icon back and forth, back and forth, back and forth etc etc just to open the surgical site. I am however worried that the current rework turns them into "reskinned humans" and so I would like to pour over the concept and rework, if I am made the Species Maintainer. 

1 hour ago, Scheveningen said:

A) How do you imagine or prefer team structure to work with future synth lore devs/deputies/etc.? Do you have any particular expectations? Do you prefer to be in charge, or to follow?

I would like to have an open door policy when it comes to voicing opinions and ideas between the team, and foster a space where these concepts can be presented. If I am made the Maintainer, I would love to give my Deputies the opportunity to take on projects as well (should they have the time or interest). What I really only expect from my Deputies is to be open-minded and be kind to one another. After all, I think the most damaging thing we can do is as a team or a community is to become toxic or jaded.

In terms of taking charge or following, I prefer to have an equal balance of the two. I like to head projects and make content but I also do find it important to consider, and effectively 'follow', the wants of the player base as well.

I have concerns about the timezone you exist in (and on top of that, being a Uni student that actually pays attention in class.)
It wouldn't exactly be convenient for me, as an American (and lore staff), to have the full Maintainer only be on super early and super late (at least for my dumbass time zone.) 
It also slightly concerns me that you won't be engaging more on the Discord, as maintainers should (imo) do their best to be a presence. 

Lastly, I don't understand how the rework would turn them into reskinned humans. I think it would add more depth, myself. I'd love more details on this.

In all, I guess +0.5. I'd prefer you as a deputy over concerns of other applicants having much more knowledge, and just a twinge more experience. But, you'd be a lovely deputy nonetheless.

1 hour ago, ParadoxSpace said:

I have concerns about the timezone you exist in (and on top of that, being a Uni student that actually pays attention in class.)
It wouldn't exactly be convenient for me, as an American (and lore staff), to have the full Maintainer only be on super early and super late (at least for my dumbass time zone.) 

This feels like a none issue really. Those of us GMT +3/4 don’t have an issue communicating despite being practically opposite ends of the planet with 12 hour differences. While there is a 14 hour difference from the west coast and Korea, the overlapping waking hours are still quite good and sufficient. 

Other than that, I intend to post my feedback tomorrow on this app. For now I just want to echo that it is my belief that Nienne is an individual I’ve seen with no issues conduct wise. They’ve got a mature mannerism to them. All in all, player wise; their behavior is almost perfect. 

Have to echo what Abo said; the server and staff are made of people from all over the world, with conflicting timezones, and yet manage to remain in good communication with one another. Seems like a nonissue.

Overall, you've done a great job expanding on your answers. Your conduct is the best out of any applicant so far, with no questionable history or administrative action. Your experience is a weak link compared to others, but something I'm less concerned about. I care more about how a maintainer interacts with the community than I care about their writing ability, because first and foremost the lore is here for the players to work with. 

If I had any concerns, it would be about whether or not you feel you can handle it. That's not something I want you to answer here, but something you need to know the answer to. It will be work. Do you have the time to dedicate? You'll have deputies helping you, but it's still worth considering. You'll have people coming to you with lore questions, IPC character complaints, what they think lore should be, etc. While a lot of the community is good, some of these people will not be nice. Some people will try to wear you down through constant messages, drama, threats to quit, etc. You need to ask yourself if you can handle these people and if you can stand up for your lore and ideas even against very abrasive individuals without either losing your cool or breaking down. You need to be able to accept and handle criticism (which, given what I know so far, you can). You'll need to able to depend on and work with your deputies and team.

If you can handle that, I think you're the strongest choice for maintainer I've seen to date, and give you a +1. I definitely think you can do good by the species. Good luck.

7 hours ago, ParadoxSpace said:

It also slightly concerns me that you won't be engaging more on the Discord, as maintainers should (imo) do their best to be a presence. 

In regards to the Aurora Discord, I can definitely look into it more since a few have voiced their concerns. I must admit I haven't frequented the main Discord other than to, originally, post art before making my thread here on the server. Therefore, I only know the main Discord in the context of it's General Channel. I can however make more of a presence and read up on the lore developer channel. Mind you, I certainly will be present in the IPC Discord!

7 hours ago, ParadoxSpace said:

Lastly, I don't understand how the rework would turn them into reskinned humans. I think it would add more depth, myself. I'd love more details on this.

I don't have any details as to how I would make changes at the this point in time. I was only really relaying my current impression on the changes however if given either role I do hope to pour over the rework extensively. I think they're a great addition to IPC mechanics, but I do have concerns.

@Doxxmedearly I have to run to school but I should be able to post a response to you in about 8 hours time!!

Edited by niennab
13 hours ago, Doxxmedearly said:

If I had any concerns, it would be about whether or not you feel you can handle it. That's not something I want you to answer here, but something you need to know the answer to. It will be work. Do you have the time to dedicate? You'll have deputies helping you, but it's still worth considering. You'll have people coming to you with lore questions, IPC character complaints, what they think lore should be, etc. While a lot of the community is good, some of these people will not be nice. Some people will try to wear you down through constant messages, drama, threats to quit, etc. You need to ask yourself if you can handle these people and if you can stand up for your lore and ideas even against very abrasive individuals without either losing your cool or breaking down. You need to be able to accept and handle criticism (which, given what I know so far, you can). You'll need to able to depend on and work with your deputies and team.

If you can handle that, I think you're the strongest choice for maintainer I've seen to date, and give you a +1. I definitely think you can do good by the species. Good luck.

I appreciate the kind words! I like to think I can handle the negative aspects of the job, but I will admit that is my biggest concern. At first I almost didn't apply due to this exact consideration. I don't personally feel as though time is an issue but standing up for new ideas in the face of adversity will certainly be a challenge but one I am willing to take on.

Ah geez I missed this by a few days.

NiennaB is, essentially, everything I want to see in a synthetic lore developer - they have passion, play a bunch of really good synthetics, and a a joy to interact with both inside and outside of rounds. Any questions I could have asked have already been answered, so I must be content with a simple +1. Best of luck with lore writing, should you be appointed!

A bit later than I promised, so I'll give a rundown some of my thoughts as I think any questions I have are already answered.

1- As a person on this server, you are pleasant and have had no issues interacting with people. You're not one for server drama or any of the server politics some people seem to enjoy. A straightforward person which is something I appreciate.

2- As a roleplayer, your writing is good and are rule abiding. It gives me the belief you would have a good measure of what's acceptable from your whitelistees. 

3- I kept thinking over the comments about timezones being an issue and the more I thought about the more I became convinced that it's really not going to be an issue with communication. Naturally, given that the playerbase spans the globe, we don't seem to have a major issue in terms of overall communication, so I doubt your timezone would really cause any issues at all.

4- My only true concern is that relative to the other applicants, even the ones withdrawn, is that you are to a degree, untested when it comes to being a staff member here. While it is my belief you'll do fine, there's a difference between unproven belief and seeing it happen before, but in your case, I remain optimistic.