Brainmed Update

I think it's safe to say that I'm now pretty much focusing on porting brainmed. Here is the Kanboard link: https://kanboard.aurorastation.org/?controller=TaskViewController&action=show&task_id=117&project_id=2

To those that don't want to look or can't look, the porting is going to be divided in four parts: dividing organs into internal/external organs (this is done), dividing Human life processing into organs (waiting on that PR to be merged), brainmed mechanics and lastly the ingame tools and chemicals. Some things have yet to be decided - such as whether to keep cloning or other things, which is what this thread is for.

This is a pretty ambitious project, yes. I will post updates in this thread whenever I'm able to. A more in-depth look of the roadmap:

eo7VoHA.png

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Brainmed is a good thing, but i'm very, very biased.

My biggest concern would be how fast brain med tends to kill people, which I worry might turn the game dial on medical up to 11.

This probably needs some thorough playtesting, if it ever gets merged.

2 hours ago, N8-Toe said:

praise be. also, I vote we axe cloning. in my experience with brainmed it is a lot harder to full on die, so in my opinion, if you die, you die. 

Please leave the cloning alone for now, also arguably should be its own thread if you're serious about it. (Once porting is done)

And yes, it will need thorough playtesting. That's to be expected of any large port like this. I'm optimistic this will be for the better, brainmed is generally a lot better than our current system.

So long as the wiki is adequately and meticulously updated in every single relevant area as soon as this is merged, if it gets a full merge, I think this could be a beneficial change. Also some values definitely should get changing, because brainmed is pretty lethal, at least in my experiences with it (I sure do love total organ failure and being told "sorry ur gonna die lol" by medical like 2 minutes after I get bitten by a spider).

Cloning should stay, or be a separate discussion after the whole brainmed system is ported. But, at the very least, it should stay while people are still acclimating to a new medical system, as cases of accidental patient death while people are re-learning are very likely to be prevalent.

26 minutes ago, furrycactus said:

So long as the wiki is adequately and meticulously updated in every single relevant area as soon as this is merged

^ This.

but this is so exciting to see. I have never touched Brainmed, and as someone that's played this SAME MEDICAL CODE for seven years, I am STOKED to get something new and exciting.

Ladies and gentlemen, next round part 2 out of 3 will be testmerged.

I do not have much to show in the form of gameplay effects since these are backend changes necessary for the full port.

It's almost time. I am an optimistic person. I expect the full brainmed port to be testmerged either early december or late november.

i will gladly take any medical system named after me, so +1

jk, fr tho, i fully support this. maybe let's not touch cloning (especially since a lot of us are gonna die when doctors have to relearn everything they know) and just save that discussion for its own thread as nantei said. that aside, i am seriously hyped for brainmed because it's just inherently a much more realistic and sane system.

Can you look into how long it takes before you instantly die from not being able to breathe in a vacuum? I was on a test server running these changes and it didn't take longer than 5 seconds to die in a vacuum due to a lack of oxygenation causing brain damage for that long apparently killing people ridiculously fast.

On 22/11/2019 at 07:57, Scheveningen said:

Can you look into how long it takes before you instantly die from not being able to breathe in a vacuum? I was on a test server running these changes and it didn't take longer than 5 seconds to die in a vacuum due to a lack of oxygenation causing brain damage for that long apparently killing people ridiculously fast.

I havent seen this happen. Nor did this work when I tested it. I might've fixed this in a prior bugfix PR actually.

Anywho, part 2 is now testmerged and seems to be working fine. The screenshots regarding Brainmed actually working should begin next week.

While thinking about brainmed I had an epiphany: This is going to make resisting cult conversion much more toxic than it is now. If we take a lot longer to die, and the cult conversion resist death already takes a while then we might see people have to sit through 15 minutes of maximum volume hallucination screaming of beeping, cluwnes and explosions blowing out their headsets. Perhaps you might want to make the resist process deal a rising amount of brain organ damage?

I agree that that should be what happens, but the reality is that cultists don't do that. They just leave you on the rune.

Edit: I say this as a crew main who for personal reasons will never play as, or be converted to cult.

Edited by Crozarius

That's just what happens, unfortunately. Everyone is inexperienced at least once, or is at least once in the position to not know what the 'good' decisions are in certain situations or even what the 'gooder' decisions are. Respectfully advise them with reason and they'll correct their mistakes eventually. 

1 minute ago, Scheveningen said:

That's just what happens, unfortunately. Everyone is inexperienced at least once, or is at least once in the position to not know what the 'good' decisions are in certain situations or even what the 'gooder' decisions are. Respectfully advise them with reason and they'll correct their mistakes eventually. 

Garnascus himself did this to me a few weeks ago. He knows what he's doing. Regardless it's a moot point over whether it's the most viable thing: I'm just saying that brainmed probably won't play nice with the small amount of damage that the conversion resist deals.

I'm sure there was more to the situation with Garnascus than that, but even assuming he did an uber-bad, one person or even a few people doing something the "not best" way doesn't change the fact that you can do better to set a good example for others and that there is never any harm in continuing to try, no matter how many people in the future behave in a way that incidentally shows they don't care about learning to do better.

Beyond that, though, I don't find your assessment correct in that a problem will blow up later down the line. Brainmed works perfectly well for Baystation and their cult is only slightly different than ours. If they can make it work, we can too.