[2 Dismissals; bin 14MAY2018] Officer Helmet/Vest Camera for Head of Security Overwatch

HunterRS

I have to disagree with adding this, from a game balance perspective. Adding cameras will likely make most HoS or captain players require them, and these will easily shut down any antags in the security department as they'll basically be constantly monitored and questioned if the camera turns off, and shut down any attempted antag actions against an officer for the same reason.

I have to disagree with adding this, from a game balance perspective. Adding cameras will likely make most HoS or captain players require them, and these will easily shut down any antags in the security department as they'll basically be constantly monitored and questioned if the camera turns off, and shut down any attempted antag actions against an officer for the same reason.

We could put regulations on them so they aren't forced all the time, and have them disabled through EMP. if you really want to take out security members/convert them you should put more effort into it because right now you can easily parapen/stun talisman, remove headset and drag someone off.

another idea is have it go blind once the officer falls down, since he'd usually fall on his stomach or back so the camera would either face the floor or the ceiling.

I share these concerns, but the tech could also be tied to the alert conditions. Maybe we only need helmet cams on external-threat-confirmed code red situations because privacy or something?

A valid point.

Agreeance with said valid point.
Cyborgs already have to deal with these Cam issues, it's not that big of a deal, the AI/Security rarely catch them in the act. That said, maybe tie them to Security EVA Gear instead of basic Security Gear. Mining Hardsuits already have built-in cameras, it's really not farfetched or game changing, just makes it easier to track down the lost Crewmembers/Equipment if things come to worst.
A valid point.
Cyborgs already have to deal with these Cam issues, it's not that big of a deal, the AI/Security rarely catch them in the act. That said, maybe tie them to Security EVA Gear instead of basic Security Gear. Mining Hardsuits already have built-in cameras, it's really not farfetched or game changing, just makes it easier to track down the lost Crewmembers/Equipment if things come to worst.

Keep in mind that synthetics can shut off the camera component at will and it will rarely, if ever, be questioned. If we are dealing with a "HoS demands all the officers to have cameras on at all times" situation, then you are clearly not getting away with having it pinned to your uniform but turned off.

If we move the idea to EVA gear, then there is no reason to have the camera restricted to Security gear only, since they're not the only ones who can get lost in space or attacked by carp or subject to anything else that would warrant a rescue.

I am personally opposed to the idea as it appears to provide nothing but opportunities for bad play. Even if we ignore the very real possibility of forcing officers to wear them at all times (in breach of code green privacy regulations), come Blue or Red officers will find their already limited autonomy completely stripped in favor of HoS micromanagement.

I imagine that will be helpful to the station come Merc - rounds of which are pretty common nowadays, I'll admit - but what other antagonist warrants that sort of commitment?

A valid point.

Keep in mind that synthetics can shut off the camera component at will and it will rarely, if ever, be questioned. If we are dealing with a "HoS demands all the officers to have cameras on at all times" situation, then you are clearly not getting away with having it pinned to your uniform but turned off.

If we move the idea to EVA gear, then there is no reason to have the camera restricted to Security gear only, since they're not the only ones who can get lost in space or attacked by carp or subject to anything else that would warrant a rescue.

I am personally opposed to the idea as it appears to provide nothing but opportunities for bad play. Even if we ignore the very real possibility of forcing officers to wear them at all times (in breach of code green privacy regulations), come Blue or Red officers will find their already limited autonomy completely stripped in favor of HoS micromanagement.

I imagine that will be helpful to the station come Merc - rounds of which are pretty common nowadays, I'll admit - but what other antagonist warrants that sort of commitment?

I've tested the Camera Component multiple times, While Synthetics can shut it off at will, if they shut off the Camera component they'll go blind. Because the Camera Component is literally their Optical Sensors... Their eyes.

You have good points on the basic Gear, though. I will say again, Cargo already has Cameras. No other department does. The reason the Heister suits have Cameras is because they're technically repurposed Mining Hardsuits, almost sure of that. You can even access specific Heist hardsuits via the Cargo camera monitor.

When it comes to things like being un-synced and damage, i'm constantly questioned as a Synthetic. I'm pretty sure that's normal. You just get questioned idley less.

The reason the Heister suits have Cameras is because they're technically repurposed Mining Hardsuits, almost sure of that. You can even access specific Heist hardsuits via the Cargo camera monitor.

This is an oversight which was already squashed once. It should be reported and squashed again.

Also, while borgs may already have cameras, think of it this way. There's nominally 2 borgs per round, distributed to departments other than security a large majority of the time. The chances of them running into hostiles are not amazingly high. Sec, on the other hand, is a set of about 5 dudes. Whose purpose is to be in the shit and handle antags. So yeh. Comparison does not sound fair.

The reason the Heister suits have Cameras is because they're technically repurposed Mining Hardsuits, almost sure of that. You can even access specific Heist hardsuits via the Cargo camera monitor.

This is an oversight which was already squashed once. It should be reported and squashed again.

Also, while borgs may already have cameras, think of it this way. There's nominally 2 borgs per round, distributed to departments other than security a large majority of the time. The chances of them running into hostiles are not amazingly high. Sec, on the other hand, is a set of about 5 dudes. Whose purpose is to be in the shit and handle antags. So yeh. Comparison does not sound fair.

Well, the 'Heister' suit thing did make sense, but if that's just an oversight, my argument is completely null. But still, it isn't far-fetched that high-risk EVA gear would have Cameras embedded. It would be less about Privacy/watching the Officer and more about just watching and locating the Equipment. I remember the Heisters Camera thing from ages ago, it might be fixed, now... I haven't seen it in a long time, haven't been in a Heist round for a long time. So I guess i'm out of this argument, my suggestion is just about null. LOL.

Also tbh Skull I run into Antags (Maybe not Hostiles, persay) as a 'borg just about every round, and I don't even try to. <= That doesn't allude to a difference in what you said, just a personal observation, and should honestly be ignored.

Adding functionality to the tactical helmet or HUD wouldn't be very difficult. And making it exclusive to tactical gear would seriously limit abuse, given a HoS/Captain can't really justify having security running down in full SWAT gear in anything except an extreme threat to the station.

There are very few dire situations in which security officers are seen either donning their helmets or in SWAT gear. Only in Destruction type game modes (Heist/Mercenary) do you normally see security officers in the SWAT gear or wearing helmets.

Security has the least probable chance in becoming an antagonist as antag rolling is weighted much more in favor of the other station jobs receiving that chance instead.

"Because it would hurt antags" is not a good counterpoint versus giving security more features. Of course it provides antagonists with an obvious disadvantage, but it's not as if surviving the entire round and doing your objectives successfully as a traitor on any other server can be considered an easy thing.

There is nothing wrong with the idea of implementing accountability devices to ensure security officers themselves are doing their jobs correctly and are also safe. They can be breakable if it hits the helmet enough, I suppose, so that there's a violent counterplay aspect to it and makes it very tense for a handling HoS/Warden/Captain to be able to respond to that. A decent strategy would be aiming once for the head, running away so that the camera controller can't call help to that officer's position and then strike elsewhere, eliminating the risk of getting physically caught.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

As the dev meeting was inconclusive on the topic, I am putting in my own two cents; Voting for dismissal. Tactical gear no longer exists in the armory, the AI already can sufficiently track officers if it is necessary, and I don't really see that the Head of Security's responsibility for watching over their officers is so routinely difficult that this would be necessary, especially as it would essentially root the HoS to their office for long periods of time. Voting for dismissal.

• 3 months later...

I think it's pretty straightforward. It would help keep the Officers safe and at the same time keep crew safe from power-tripping officers and antag officers. Additionally it would help HoS and/or Warden manage the team tactically in an emergency or if comms are down.

It could be merged into one item with the holobadges.

Wasn't this rejected? The only thing it'd do is be an amazing buff to security.

It wouldn't resolve the core issue, because no sound is transmitted with cameras, ergo, how do you know someone's power tripping?And it wouldn't help with team management because boi you ain't got time to be staring at a camera when shit hits the fan. The team's not large enough for that.

I said I liked this idea before when it was rejected. I kinda don't like this idea now. Cameras are super powerful, but they're static, and they're countered by breaking them. Having someone's exact location through a mobile camera while the said security officer doesn't endanger themselves is super strong and would likely cause more advanced ways of antags getting valided to death.