[2 dismissals: archive 25/09/18] A call for stricter enforcement of code red protocols and self-formed civilian militia.

I've been seeing an increasing trend of late on the server of people arming up with chainsaws, spears, crossbows, and whatever else they can get their hands on and forming what amounts to crew militia during code red situations, then mobbing antagonists like like a disorganized hoard of savages. Naturally, being 8 on 1 against anyone in this game, even when they are armed with makeshift weapons, means that the antagonist is probably going to lose, regardless of their armaments, unless they are ridiculously good at combat or flee (sometimes, it's impossible for them TO flee due to some mechanic, and they just die)

This is the sort of tactics I used to see on old lowrp servers the moment a wizard or other major antagonist appeared. Why is it starting to happen now? Sometimes people are just walking the halls with their militia gear when they are supposed to be in their department. Usually ahelping this just gets the answer 'they were scared, it was reasonable'.

Was it reasonable for them to all develop weapon skills out of nowhere, and berserker like bloodthirst? Being in danger shouldn't mean people self arm en masse with their mysteriously sudden knowledge of basic weapon use and creation, and utter lack of fear for death. Being cornered is one thing, but these people are never cornered. They proactively attack the antagonist as a mob at the first chance. Should an human female assistant know how to operate a chainsaw without hurting themselves? How did they get their hands on one, and why were they allowed to keep it? Should a cargo technician be going around carrying a pike in a two handed battle stance to deal maximum damage while juking an opponent perfectly?

These are things I have seen. Why even have a security department and ERT if cargo can just manufacture a militia team and mob the bad guys. Possibly while screaming about 'combat lactate', like it makes the situation funnier and therefore okay. We should be enforcing some sort of order or it's just powergame and mob memes.

Re: A call for stricter enforcement of code red protocols and self-formed civilian militia.

sonicgotnuked wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:52 am
If you are forming a militia when security is dead or ERT is dead/not called, that is fine.

When you are forming a militia when security is alive or ERT is around, you are wrong.

This should be a black and white look onto things. Militias should be formed to DEFEND against antags, not attack or hunt them down.
I mean, that's reasonable.

But they're being formed the moment people notice danger and being allowed by admins under a vague 'they were scared' blanket. Even when they chase them down for a kill the moment they appear.

Re: A call for stricter enforcement of code red protocols and self-formed civilian militia.

Kaed wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:06 am
sonicgotnuked wrote:
If you are forming a militia when security is dead or ERT is dead/not called, that is fine.

When you are forming a militia when security is alive or ERT is around, you are wrong.

This should be a black and white look onto things. Militias should be formed to DEFEND against antags, not attack or hunt them down.

But they're being formed the moment people notice danger and being allowed by admins under a vague 'they were scared' blanket. Even when they chase them down for a kill the moment they appear.
Was this related to the cult round earlier today by any chance?

CommanderXor wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:14 am
Kaed wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:06 am
sonicgotnuked wrote:

Was this related to the cult round earlier today by any chance?
And a wizard round I was in a week or so ago.

DRagO wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:19 am
If your referencing the cult round earlier, Milita was valid since security were all cult aswell as us being unable to call ERT for a time, The milita stood down once ERT came though
Really? You put down all your weapons and stopped lunging out at any antagonist who came by because an ERT showed up? Because that was the problem. You killed two cultists who were pursuing the CMO in a chainsaw and pike mob. Your behavior was not one of fending off threats and holding ground, but of pursuing and destroying them once they got in range. You did the same thing with the juggernaut that showed up. There was one person walking around in the halls with a shotgun that had to be told to put it down when they came across the ERT.

None of this speaks of any particular restraint, and is behavior that caused me to make this thread.

When players get bored, people will start to find their own fun.

If the antagonist isn't entertaining, then people make their own fun. Sometimes people just roleplay with others. Sometimes people meme around. Sometimes people do their job. Sometimes people validhunt.

A better way to fix this issue of players valid hunting is to make the game more interesting. People are starting to get tired of the same antagonists doing the same gimmicks on the same map on the same station on the same job.
Current Projects:
Thirst Mechanics

Future Projects:
Sleep Mechanics
Itch Mechanics
Arousal Mechanics

Kaed wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:46 am
DRagO wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:19 am
If your referencing the cult round earlier, Milita was valid since security were all cult aswell as us being unable to call ERT for a time, The milita stood down once ERT came though
Really? You put down all your weapons and stopped lunging out at any antagonist who came by because an ERT showed up? Because that was the problem. You killed two cultists who were pursuing the CMO in a chainsaw and pike mob. Your behavior was not one of fending off threats and holding ground, but of pursuing and destroying them once they got in range. You did the same thing with the juggernaut that showed up. There was one person walking around in the halls with a shotgun that had to be told to put it down when they came across the ERT.

None of this speaks of any particular restraint, and is behavior that caused me to make this thread.
Im not really sure exactly what you are refering to as I wasnt involved with the milita itself

DRagO wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:04 am
Im not really sure exactly what you are refering to as I wasnt involved with the milita itself
Sorry, I assumed you were directly involved because you were attesting to it's validity. If you aren't sure what happened why are you claiming it was valid?
BurgerBB wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:01 am
When players get bored, people will start to find their own fun.

If the antagonist isn't entertaining, then people make their own fun. Sometimes people just roleplay with others. Sometimes people meme around. Sometimes people do their job. Sometimes people validhunt.

A better way to fix this issue of players valid hunting is to make the game more interesting. People are starting to get tired of the same antagonists doing the same gimmicks on the same map on the same station on the same job.
That a goal, and a lofty one, not a solution.

Return to “Policy Suggestions”