Departmental Security

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Lemei said:

So long as the chain of command is sorted out and it's made clear officers can go wherever they wish, it might have potential.

This is something I'd really like to hash out as well. There were a few ideas raised, and personally I like the following one the most: The Departmental Head can order the officer around as a head normally would, but the Head of Security can override that order at any time. That's better than joint custody for two reasons. The officer doesn't have to rules lawyer and get in trouble for listening to the wrong person, and the Head of Security can organize his people to defend the station if it's needed. What this'll do in effect, is make it so that the Head of Security doesn't have to babysit his officers anymore, something a few of the HoS players I've talked about it with seemed to enjoy greatly.

On 02/11/2019 at 06:09, AmoryBlaine said:

You do realize that the current iteration of this has changed greatly from the initial, right?

The current iteration addresses feedback from the initial testmerge, the concept overall has not changed very much.

• 1 month later...

So what happens with cadets? Where do they get assigned with this implemented. Do you have departmental cadets or do they just follow with a general officer?

(also not a question really but inb4 you get a medical assigned officer who believes theyre a combat medic and routinely requests bicaridine, keloderm etc.)

30 minutes ago, Skull132 said:

I wouldn't be opposed to cadets being removed. They work as sec-officer lites and thus are basically extra bodies. Yes, there is some RP value in them, but in this case, their role in gameplay superceedes that.

I really really really don't support the idea of removing cadets. Yes most officers lately have basically been like cadets but that's because they never started as the role. Officers who do not start off as cadets are way, way less competent and it shows. It's much more beneficial to see who knows basic things like processing and even just the station layout and who doesn't. Plus there have been many many cadets you wouldn't even want to trust with a taser or rubber .45's.

The cadet role allows for at least some distinction between who knows what they're doing (supposed to at least) and who does not. Removing the cadet role would result in many officers going around not knowing anything about the game, not knowing how to change a mag, or disable the safety on their pepperspray, many times cadets don't even know how to speak.

And idea I thrown earlier was to make two slots available per department. One full department security officer, and one cadet.

Another thing that seems not to be talked about in here was the fact that departmental security officers didn't need to be gun carriers that fell in a department at random. They could get a basic understanding of the department's field. I am for instance thinking about a medical officer helping with triage, or a science officer watching for your local xenobiologist.

1 hour ago, Gromnax said:

And idea I thrown earlier was to make two slots available per department. One full department security officer, and one cadet.

Another thing that seems not to be talked about in here was the fact that departmental security officers didn't need to be gun carriers that fell in a department at random. They could get a basic understanding of the department's field. I am for instance thinking about a medical officer helping with triage, or a science officer watching for your local xenobiologist.

I don't like the idea of a security officer, who knows basic engineering (hacking), or RnD. Security guards can guard a area without knowing how to operate said area.

This wasn't exactly about operating the area like a full member. More something in the likes of a departemental assistant.

I'll talk about Research because it's the part I'm the more familiar with. The sec off could be able to know how to split the ressources between RnD and Robotics.

2 hours ago, Skull132 said:

I wouldn't be opposed to cadets being removed. They work as sec-officer lites and thus are basically extra bodies. Yes, there is some RP value in them, but in this case, their role in gameplay superceedes that.

I disagree with this, since I feel that it's important for every department to maintain a learner role. I think finding a place for them will be important, but removal seems a bit much. More restrictions wouldn't hurt, though that may be out of scope of depsec. I do think it's certainly true that some use them as officers 5 and 6, but we really shouldn't consider removing learner roles.

I really don't think Cadets should be removed. Maybe just keep the same number, 2, to the Security department. I may VERY well have missed how many officers are where (there are a lot of comments here), but it is 1 per Department, + a HoS and a Warden for Security? That sounds fine to have two Cadets in. Maybe just also give them the freedom to shadow any officers, not just a General Security officer.

• Gem locked this topic