New human sprites, thanks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Re the gitlog, if I am interpreting it correctly, there would only be sprites for white characters? Or is the slider comment referencing a proposed new method of tone selection, and there will still be current color options?

• 8 months later...
On 19/01/2019 at 13:32, BRAINOS said:

humans.png

if this is liked, i'll get the colors scaled properly for in-game use and a .dmi posted
here's what's goin' on with this sprite:
- i tried to stay as faithful as possible to the original's silhouette so clothes/damage/etc isn't messed up
- anything inside the silhouette was completely scrapped and redone. definition, shading, everything. it looks more like a human than a blow-up doll, at least to me.
- the hey arnold pixels at the side of each head were shaved off - this shouldn't break any hair or helmets, but if it does, let me know what breaks and i'll fix that, too. suddenly the head is more...human-looking.
- the colors can easily be tweaked, but i went with a redder hue and way less saturation. i thiiiink our sprites are whitescaled anyway, though.
- i'm not 100% satisfied with it, but it's the best i can do given the already broken and malformed silhouette we're all constrained to.
- originally i had the muscle tone cranked all the way up. i'm not opposed to making multiple human forms with different body types, stocky, lean, beefy, etc.
- this current body type at least fits the typical average from most people's flavor text: they're clearly fit, and either work out or have a physically demanding job, but they're not hulking walls of muscle and veins.

Resurrecting. We ought to change the heads, before @PoZe completes the changes to human sprites.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

it still kind of looks like a space alien.... the head shape has been so ubiquitous maybe its just the change that makes it look weird. it just looks... Off I guess. Everyone is so PALE. They are like vampires wearing the skin of a caucasian.

Edited by Marlon Phoenix
3 hours ago, Marlon Phoenix said:

it still kind of looks like a space alien.... the head shape has been so ubiquitous maybe its just the change that makes it look weird. it just looks... Off I guess. Everyone is so PALE. They are like vampires wearing the skin of a caucasian.

There's a system in place to remedy this. We are introducing ethnicities.

I think they look washed out from that in-game screenshot and look way more like Off-worlders.
So instead of washing out, can I offer alternatives? I doodled this in like 5 minutes. Could even lighten 50/50 a little more.

If I knew how the skins were shaded, I would test that on these too. Basically, just add more pink/blue and lighten original, or, go 50/50 on the old and new for less washed out.

L8IN1OD.png

Edited by Seeli
added the outlines, because that's where the true cheeto power comes from

In my opinion it looks fine if you have a white or pale skin tone, everyone else looks horribly grey and like walking corpses tbh, not a huge fan. Can't be Asian or Latinx at all.

EDIT: Ethnicities being added sounds wonderful, I can't wait to see it.

Edited by TheBurninSherman
I read more of the thread.

My only complaint is that it rather harshly affects anybody that uses synthskin prosthetics. It was already a bit of a problem that you could only really use them on characters that are white, but it seems to have become even more exasperated by this change, where you're forced to have the complexion of a white corpse for your limbs to match.

LJ9vf7C.png

It doesn't look completely awful in the preview, but in game it looks a lot more pasty and pale, like I've never gone in the sun in my life.

VK6pR1e.png

And if I try to be anything but white, it looks like I've had a very unfortunate sunburn incident.

foBR8FJ.png

If this could be fixed, it'd have my support, but as-is, I'm not a fan for now.