Make knives legal to carry

Except for switchblades/balisongs/tactical knives/energy knives.
I will copypaste the reasons I sent Garnascus.
1) i find it funny that literally every boot in this universe canonically has a knife sheath and i want to justify this
2) knives have utility functions and many peoples' every-day-carry irl loadouts have a pocket knife somewhere in them
3) security can't be everywhere at once and at some point in your day you might need to protect yourself and others. similar to why the barkeep has a shotty.
4) i don't see much of a problem, considering the knives you can even get without plasteel and such are pretty shitty
5) we could add utility pocket folding knives and such to the loadout (this is an optional feature of the suggestion, do not hyperfixate on it.)
6) why not

This is already covered on that page: https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Guide_to_Contraband

As with all things, some common sense is required when making determinations of contraband. A plastic eating knife is a knife, but is unlikely to be considered a "dangerous item" by an average person. The delicious-looking sandwich the Head of Personnel just ordered from the kitchen should not be confiscated due to security somehow justifying that it has an "obvious combat application." The janitor running around in a soviet army costume with a holstered banana is not actually an armed soldier, and doesn't need to be processed for "illegal" items (though uniform regulations may apply). Officers may be liable for illegal detention if they process people for contraband incorrectly.

I do agree with making it more obvious that a kitchen knife is a normal item for every lunchbox though. The common sense bit leaves much up to interpretation and someone having a knife on their person should never be arrested over it. Having a clear regulation like that one:

When an item is misused, but by someone who is otherwise qualified to possess it. A botanist who attacks someone with a hatchet would be liable for the assault, but the hatchet is simply a legally possessed item used in an illegal way. It's reasonable for people to be walking around with items generally found in their departments, unless they are particularly dangerous or otherwise restricted.

And having it announced more often during the round could go a long way in changing the mentality from "everyone is a danger" to "just a crewmember with a pocket knife."

I support to change it :)

no

this makes absolutely no sense from an ic standpoint, why would a company ever let its employees carry knives around with them in the workplace. and they are not practical as items of self-defense either as using one would most likely rack up in a ‘use of excessive force’ or ‘manslaughter’ charge. pepperspray makes more sense.

also for the case of utility, besides cutting food knives have no use outside of combat application iirc

21 minutes ago, Spider said:

also for the case of utility, besides cutting food knives have no use outside of combat application iirc

Saying there is no utility for knives beyond cutting food is a statement grounded solely in mechanics. This is a situation where roleplay justification applies- knives are tools with a number of uses.

Personally, I don't care either way.

Edited by DanseMacabre

Honestly, the only realistic knives are penknives for Cargo for opening boxes, or the knives in the kitchen.

Imagine you're eating at McDonalds and the janitor's just casually carrying a knife for self defence. 

Other than being powergamey, it's just stupid.

I can reasonably see people who are in jobs that require knives to be utilized such as a paramedic with a patient stuck to chair with a seatbelt, they just whip it out and cut it off. A doctor would have a scissor/knife to cut clothes off to expose the effected area. A cargo tech would use a boxcutter to open up wrapped items. A miner/xenoarcheologist would use a knife for legitimate self-defense as xenofauna is dangerous. An engineer would use a utility knife to cut off rubber ends of the coil, or other engineering related reasons. A chef for obvious reasons. I can go on. I am all for adding utility knives and boot knives, though please add role restrictions, I don’t want to see a bartender carrying an eight inch knife because they feel safer that way. +1

In regards to knives. I think it'd only make sense for Nanotransen to let Cargo have box-cutting or pen-knives and obviously the kitchen for cooking needs. 

Logically there's no reason Nanotransen would let everyone carry sharp and dangerous implements outside of tiny little key-knives that are like 3-6cm long. 

I have compiled a list of uses for a knife. Removing tags from clothing, opening packaging, opening an envelope, everything related to food, cutting string, cutting a shirt, cutting tape, cutting a seatbelt, cutting through material to bandage a wound, shanking a dude, a spoon/fork/knife, whittling something if you need to, making a fire if you need to, that fucking clamshell plastic packaging, you could heat it to cauterize a wound, and none of this takes into consideration 'what if your knife has other tools in it'. If it has a serrated edge, even more uses. You could cut zip ties, you could cut rope, you can use a knife as a screwdriver or wirecutters.

On top of the utility, there's also that *any sharp object can cut through placed wire now*. Meaning that antags can put on their antag toolbox gloves and start de-powering the station with a pocket knife. 
As for why you'd carry one for self-defense.. Stop pretending this is a normal workplace. With canon events there's like a gunfight once a month. We're not in a normal, safe workplace. We're on an oil rig frequented by Somalian pirates, or the Space equivalent. 

I don't like a out right "all knives are legal to carry now" and think that common sense should still apply. 

Swiss army knife / multitool: sure no problems with that. 

Cleaver / "good" kitchen knives: Yeah, no doesn't make sense for your average person to carry that around (unless they work in the kitchen)

My question is what knives exist to make the change for. Switchblades, tatical knives and such have been ruled out, and if you make a knife out of materials it's essentially a kitchen knife, which falls under the same category the hatchet does with the botanist.

Knives will not be legalised. You can already add utility knife stuff for cargo or jobs that make sense to have them, it would be perfectly legal to carry, like the botanist's hatchet. But carrying non utility knives around in sheathes and boots is not a good idea. It would not make sense for a secure research station, and would give everyone the ability to carry a weapon, a poor choice due to the usual powergaming and validhunting arguments. If you have a particular reason to worry about your personal safety, you can ask for a weapons permit.

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/04/2020 at 11:19, The lancer said:

Knives will not be legalised. You can already add utility knife stuff for cargo or jobs that make sense to have them, it would be perfectly legal to carry, like the botanist's hatchet. But carrying non utility knives around in sheathes and boots is not a good idea. It would not make sense for a secure research station, and would give everyone the ability to carry a weapon, a poor choice due to the usual powergaming and validhunting arguments. If you have a particular reason to worry about your personal safety, you can ask for a weapons permit.

Time to put in for a weapons permit every round because the operational record of the Aurora includes multiple gunfights, attacks from off-station entities, and of course the murder mystery. And that's from canon events alone.

• 2 weeks later...