Feedback thread - a few new gun sprites

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say that I'm usually not really a fan of this aesthetic in general. That's not to say this is bad, on the contrary, I think these are well-done, it's just that the "everything is an Apple product in the future" ranks near the top of my least favorite sci-fi aesthetics list. That isn't to say that these new sprites have some...interesting implications. Simply put, these look like they're not designed to be put through battle after battle. Of course not, this is a security department for a rather insignificant space station, after all! These weapons look like they were designed to look fancy, first and foremost, functionality comes later.

Basically, interesting idea, good execution, don't let my aesthetic preference get in the way of this feedback.

20 hours ago, kyres1 said:

Updated .45 and ecarbine sprite by player request, to make the whole armory consistent.

1175923791_ecarbinenew2.png.86146be7dc1d4657afb35d40e434d636.png1518037473_ecarbinenew1.png.908650fb10ff6ab4826b1c16c8b14da7.png

2106602658_45new!.png.5965642d7d8c0cc83f0ad347f2f3278e.png

I really like the look of the bottom sprite set, that beige-ish off-white is substantially more appealing than the bright plastic look of the other ones - especially with the softer shading on the grips.

16 minutes ago, DanseMacabre said:

The current sprite is not actually old, believe it or not. It was done mostly from scratch by Amory to replace the much older and much more hideous sprite from Baycode

image.png.a373be4620f73d3577bd2659170f91b8.png

It would appear I've been corrected and I can agree that it does indeed look better then that. I was under the impression the .45 sprite was older then it actually is.

I still believe the new one is a major improvement 

layout.thumb.png.8797ac75a5d35635d9cd5e4cd8c690a9.png

The final addition.

+Both xrays overhauled.

+Mini UZI overhauled.

+Pocket rifle overhauled

+Bolt action overhauled

+Antique sniper overhauled

+Lemat overhauled

+Tator revolver overhauled

+Old detective revolver overhauled

+Ecarbines overhauled

+Tommygun overhauled

+.45s added to the layout

enjoy

2103820147_matebaoverhaul.png.feb0c6132dc0026d4bfa3c5a93d79c55.png

Edit : also redoes autorevolver

Edited by kyres1

Really love most of these sprites. Disruptors are some neat sci fi stuff, the x-rays are fan-fucking-tastic, ion looks more unique, and I'm a serious fan of the new TCFL guns. The thumper especially looks sort of retro-futuristic, which I think pairs strongly with the idea that the legion is using older equipment they've souped up. All of the redone ballistics are quite strong, IMO. I like the off-white being used for ballistics common to security while the white is for lasers. 

I like the energy carbine, though I feel as if it might be better to have a pistol grip more akin to what the original sprite had instead of the odd-looking guard. The laser rifle also seems a tad too bulky compared to something like the x-ray. Maybe it'd be best to stick to the idea of the rifles being so similar like with the original sprites, having the laser rifle be a white and red version of the x-ray (And getting rid of that odd hand-guard looking thing that goes under the gun, then grip, then to the butt.) 

The shotgun I'm mixed on purely because of personal aesthetics, I'll say is that your sprite is good for the theming you're going for with security's guns but I'd coom for something akin to the original sprite redone in the style you did for the ballistics. 

Overall, I wouldn't really mind if these sprites got merged right now. I was reprehensive towards them originally but you've done a lot of good work with them. Thank you, Kyres. 

All in all I am generally happy with the new sprites. I will say that I am not a fan of the chrome uzi, even though I know you are very fond of it, and I think the warm tones for the metal on the ballistic handguns and the shotgun looks very strange. I'd generally go with a colder tint, personally, likely more blue than red. I think the best sprite here is probably the SMG.

I love the x-ray rifles, good colouring choices. Revolvers on the other hand look a little.. dinky. Not sure why there's such a strong move away from darker metals (and metals in general), the excess of plastic makes a lot of the guns look excessively low-quality in construction, and the bright white sprites (Laser Rifle, Energy Carbine, ... Uzi?) still look like children's toys. Energy Carbine without a stock would have me asking 'does this fit a holster', as well.

I'm mixed on the energy carbine, it looks more like an oversized disruptor pistol rather than something that should be smaller than the laser rifle but still not having elements that would identify it as a pistol, I'd see to shifting the sprite to something that would look as if you could aim it with two hands (sort of like a laser SMG). As for the other sprites? They are awesome!

The above mentioned could also be applied to the blaster carbine, it looks more akin to a blaster pistol.

Edited by DriedMilk

The energy carbines sorta look like weird pistols, the pocket rifle less like a sawn-off rifle as it does some form of small-caliber pistol, and I don't really know how I feel about the bolt-actions. They sorta look anemic, compared to the original, chunky sprites. I agree with danse that maybe the Uzi should be a bit darker in color, but that's just aesthetic preference. 

It's clear that a lot of work went into these, and I'm especially a fan of the new dragunov, shotgun, and laser sprites. +1

I must say it.. I don't like how short the blasters are. Unless they're meant to be concealable, they need to have full-sized barrels instead of the shorter, stubbier ones. This is generally the complaint I have for all the pistols, they look like something you could fit into your jacket pocket or hide in your waistband with only a little difficulty. Unless they're meant to be wide/fat instead of long, in which case the ergonomics are probably gonna be off.

Having seen these sprites in-game, I have to say that I'm reversing my early opinion on some of them being improvements and would, frankly, like to see the old gun sprites back (at least, for security's guns). I'll be leaving my comments in a list below.

General:

• The cartoonish style of the guns, combined with the white colors used, makes them look like toys. They look like they were made to shoot Nerf darts rather than things that kill people.
  • The white color scheme of the guns makes them blend in really, really awkwardly with security's uniforms. I can't tell where my disruptor ends and my arm begins.
  • The bright, bulky design of the guns makes them stick out like a sore thumb when they're on any tile. It's honestly quite jarring.
  • Most of the guns are extremely chunky and bulky as sprites, which makes it feel like you're carrying around a brick rather than a weapon. This does not help them not look like toys.

Disruptors:

• The disruptors have a weird combination where they are both too stubby and too tall, which makes them look like half of the gun has been sawn-off.
  • It is extremely hard to tell where the disruptor's sprite ends and your arm begins on most uniforms, unless you're not wearing white. This means that officers in the default NT uniform, Idris contractors, and EPMCs suffer from this issue.
  • Morphing/changing sprites are cool in theory, but you can barely see the changes on anything short of a magnum (which you will never see in-game).
  • It is extremely hard to tell how many shots you have left, due to how busy and bright the sprite is. There's very little contrast between the blue and the white.

Laser Rifle

• The laser rifle is extremely huge and clunky-looking. It seems like it's too large for your sprite when you're wearing it on your back.
  • Meanwhile, the wielded sprite looks similarly chunky - it's exceedingly wide (vertically) and has so many details that it's hard to tell what is going on with it.
  • The sprite, when placed on the ground, seems to be leaking out onto other tiles near it - it's really weird to see in-game.
  • The white coloration (I know I mentioned this in general) looks really awkward and out of place when it's sticking over your shoulder or on your back. It feels like you've strapped a giant Nerf gun to your sprite.

Carbine:

• The carbine looks like an oversized pistol.
  • Despite this, the sprite on your character model still looks enormous - it's about as big as the old laser rifle was when one-handed.
  • It seems to not have any on-model sprite? Old carbines were previously visible on your legs, which was a nice touch.

Ion:

• I haven't seen it in use yet.

Shotgun

They look like they're made of plastic, and in contrast with the darkened floors and environment in contrast to the new weapon sprites, it just doesn't mesh well. I feel like the initial colors and premise of the previous guns, but remade in this style could have potential. 

The SMG looks fine though, I'd take it on a date.

Edited by Kryostro
forgot to mention the SMG
6 hours ago, NewOriginalSchwann said:

Shotgun

I saw in game the shotgun is made to look like a nerf gun, but the 'combat shotgun' is now just a normal pump action with the old wooden and black metal sprite, ? 

Edit : I was wrong here, I looked at it and its just the same sprite with a color scheme change, I uh, still would prefer the old sprites though. 

Edited by Daemon

100% Agree with Schwann, I like to keep my opinion until I see the sprites ingame but they just do not fit or look realistic at all. They would do great as sprites for lasertag equipment but apart from that I have not found much positive to say about that. The mini disruptor looks more liky a hypospray to me than anything resembling a weapon as it is 90% grip and has no features resembling weaponry to me at all.

The shotgun sprites would be saveable as high tech equipment when made a bit darker for ERT or Antag equipment I suppose but laser weaponry being white makes no sense from a visual nor technical viewpoint. A lot of details and usability were lost with this change as well, the charge meters being semi useless as of now  for example.