Jump to content

WickedCybs

Administrators
  • Posts

    557
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by WickedCybs

  1. This is because it is more of a novelty. The gameplay loop for a prisoner using the mining IPCs is standing around and putting resources into bins. The only times the "mining" IPCs are used is to assist in an escape essentially when sec is inattentive. Just because it exists doesn't mean we need a ghost spawned prisoner to use it. I'd honestly find it rather disappointing ias well f people started to be forced to do it too as part of a "deal." Not only would this not happen much if at all, but consigning someone to do basically nothing for a while seems counterproductive to roleplaying. Work in exchange for release is also out of scope. Sure, being cooperative can lower the length though this isn't really applied after the fact. NT is not the government (on the surfacelevel) and the Aurora is not a private prison as mentioned. Forcing it to be one makes no sense. Why would this be in the station's control? It's not really a thing even now when sec ends up having people detained. Closest would be parole. I do not see this as a good reason to put prisoners on a research station that has no way or reason to accommodate longterm detainees. The brig is designed for holding, the charges also reflect this. There is nothing that says to hold someone indefinitely, but there are charges that say to hold until transfer. That's not right. Self antagging bluespace golems and escape pod survivors can be safely ahelped. Burglar pod survivors are actual antags and get access to the burglar uplink. Self antagging is not a good term as an aside, a prisoner should absolutely never be doing it. If hypothetically the Aurora had to handle a long term prisoner there is no way I would be able to believe they are a violent offender as I said earlier. Non-violent detainees are about the most I could see being argued for, yet still. The Aurora is not a prison. Why are dangerous convicts being shipped out to it? What reason would the prisoner have to even try to escape? It's a space station. The security department is not staffed with correctional officers. Its purpose is not to manage these people. It already gets extremely old when those in the brig for even the most minor of offenses give it their all to self antag and escape the brig. I do realize it gets pretty boring in there though. Reality is, there's not a lot for them to do. I'm still of the opinion that it's not worth having and is only going to reduce roleplay for essentially the entire department. Criminal characters are already possible, so if people want to play one they should do so then, as an actual character. Roles that rely on another role existing are very hard to work out and a prisoner role is certainly going to require proper attention so they aren't left out in the cold. I've also been playing sec a lot lately, and I get my enjoyment from roleplaying with the crew in general. Not with ghost roles. I would rather keep it that way rather than having to potentially accommodate people liable to soap the warden and run out of the brig. Because, this isn't going to be something that only affects the warden or commander. For the idea to work at all, we would be in big need of a setting change like Bear mentioned, forcing it into the station as it is would just be terrible, to be frank. The important distinction here is that sec enforces the corporate regulations, not Biesel law. On a ship based setting, the idea makes more sense because there might be nowhere else to transfer them to in the meanwhile. Some list of do's and don'ts for those who want to try the role would also be nice. Additionally, ghostspawned roles have no persistence. At best, you can replicate appearances and names. So, I believe it would need to be a role you can actually select and with the same range of customization other realized characters have, barring maybe the loadout.
  2. The mining facility contradicts nothing when it comes to the nature of the brig, it's there so anyone detained that shift has something to do if they want. It is also rather unbelievable that the Aurora would have to contain long-term prisoners, especially violent ones. The Aurora is not a private prison, it is a research station. The brig is for holding. Prisoners would go to a proper facility that isn't the Aurora. This aside, I very much would not want volunteer self-antags, nor do I want warden players to have their rounds held hostage when they could be roleplaying with actual characters instead.
  3. I think those are fine enough answers for a PRA character, good luck with the application.
  4. You've done a lot of reading, it seems. The only questions I have are how your character sees the NKA and if their religious inclinations ever changed.
  5. I am pretty sympathetic here, that was one of two thoughts I had when I was determining what to do. That you either logged out in a panic or did this maliciously. A problem was, like you noted. You didn't ahelp and It's hard to give the benefit of the doubt in that case. Another issue is that you tried dying to the crystal to begin with. You shouldn't be doing these things just because on the live server. You already have a prior history and that warning. If you really want to test stuff like that out, you can download the code and run the server locally to mess around in without harming anything. I wouldn't call this the end of the line thankfully, but take some time, appeal again in at least a month from now. I do think you'll get another chance. Take this time to reflect on what happened, please. If there's anything else you'd like to ask, feel free to do so before the thread closes.
  6. Whether anything happens is up to the host, Incog. The rest of us cannot do anything about this.
  7. Server Moderator Application Basic Information Byond Account: WickedCybs Character Name(s): Liliya Radic. Lesser played but sometimes seen are Val Xiram and Seraina Rueger. There are some others, but I consider them either retired or too unimportant to me. AI Name(s): N/A Discord username + tag: Cyberspy#8403 Age: 22 Timezone: MST When are you on Aurora?: Tends to be pretty variable but the afternoon for me up to the evening and sometimes into midnight. I tend to only do one or two rounds but keep the server running as an observer while I do other things since it’s not very intensive. Experience How long have you played SS13?: Since maybe 2013 or a bit earlier. How long have you played on Aurora: Think it’s been a year now and a few months. How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?: I’d say I’m vey knowledgeable. I could do most things though Research is a department I'm the least versed in overall. Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server? Yes. I used to be a Baystation moderator. Have you read through the criteria thread and believe that you mark off all the criteria?: Yes. Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?: On the record, no. There was one incident regarding a gameplay bug that was overturned after I made a staff complaint. Personality Why do you play SS13?: It’s free and not very intensive on my laptop, which can barely run anything else. Helps that it is fun too. Why do you play on Aurora?: It’s not stagnant. It feels alive and has lore that is continually developing. I have more of a reason to be invested here when it comes to roleplaying and contributing. What do moderators do?: Maintain the quality of the community they are part of by assisting its members and putting its guidelines to practice. Duties are always variable, but ultimately they're usually moderating. Hence the name. What does it mean to be a moderator for our server? Ideally, you are an active participant in Aurora’s community and actually play the game from time to time too. on a server that bills itself as HRP, being out of touch with current events both in game and out of game becomes an issue. Same for gameplay mechanics, which can be changing as Aurora is actively added to by its development team. Initiative is also an asset, as it seems admins are not really leaned upon by the moderators here. Why do you want to be a moderator?: I’m real curious of what It’d be like to moderate Aurora and was encouraged to. Other than this, I do like to contribute to communities I come to enjoy being a part of as well, in various ways. What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator? Past experience on a HRP server, willingness to engage with others and the ability to communicate. I would say I am rather present on various fronts in the community. The official discords of course, and some unofficial like the relay (SCC Personal Terminal), which I help manage. I also try to fill in knowledge gaps mechanically and in BYOND to better understand things in general and apply it. I’m pretty well-versed with things in gameplay and have been gradually learning how parts of the code works, spriting, mapping. How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: If it becomes an issue, I handle stress by taking a break or asking for help. For the rest, I handle anger and insults with some irritation at times though I’m not one to change tact and take it out on someone in the moment. It’s overall only a small blip on my radar. These things are part and parcel with being in such a position and you work through it. This does not mean tolerating abuse, that gets acted on of course. Anything Else You Want to Add: I’ll be giving this an honest shot supposing I am given a trial, though if my time as a trial mod begins to detract from my enjoyment of the server, I’ll likely be rescinding. Don’t really want to burnout or become disinterested too quick here. I know how being staff can exacerbate this. Other than that, I think I will take a bit of time to get rid of my bayisms. Moderators on Baystation have less powers and responsibility compared to their counterparts on Aurora.
  8. Expanding the maintenance network up there so there's no dead ends would be nice. There's a bit less room for it on that level, but ideally I think the teleporter room, the HoP's office and the command cryo area at the least would have maintenance exits offering another route out or in.
  9. Not a problem, and I think it's fine. Good luck with the application. Being new to the sever is kind of a factor but I myself have done the same as you with another whitelist, content matters a lot more.
  10. The reasoning behind the disillusionment is something I think could be expanded more, here. You say he's war weary, sees the opposition as no different and would like to get away from it all due to his experiences, that's fine. But I question the part where his faith wavers in his nation and the why behind it. It's an important factor for someone that's been indoctrinated to believe in The Party their entire life and has been taken care of by the state where it was the most present until now. Depending on where he fought, he would have potentially experienced first-hand those struck by ALA terror cells and definitely at least treated those affected by its terror tactics. Liberation Army cells would often have no scruples about utilizing children in the war effort as well. Potentially he's not just seeing Tajara his age being conscripted to fight, he's also seeing them taking advantage of those who don't know any better. In many regards, it wouldn't be a conventional war. The ALA has a conventional element and heavy asymmetrical elements too. The NKA might be seen as more honourable and perhaps conventional but the people he was fighting would likely notably differ to him. The opposing soldiers on the other end would likely mainly consist of Hharar and M'sai, with Njarir leading of course. Ethnic battalions too. The more concerning elements of the caste system would be fully apparent here such as the classism and racism. All this taken in as a conscript and not a volunteer. Many were not so motivated or prepared. The PRA Officer Corps would not have been the best, gutted after the mass defections that kickstarted the threeway war. Ethnicity is not something that mattered as much in the PRA of course, but his Zhan comrades would still be facing heavy discrimination by their own side. To a lesser extent, Njarir as well. A Commissar could be watching at your back. The PRA favoured quantity over quality as well on the ground. Friends would certainly be lost. The final years of the war were also easily the worst for the People's Republic and its soldiers. I'd like to see more of Al-Karim's thoughts regarding the DPRA and NKA. You say he's trying to convince himself to think of them as blank slates. Well, he knows or should know at least the core parts of what they stand for, propaganda or not. What were his thoughts before? What does he think of Royalism? What does he think of Al'marrism? Pushing it all aside is something something that just wouldn't really be entirely possible I'd say, old habits die hard and the subconscious can be strong. The privilege of leaving Adhomai is one that can be rescinded too.
  11. I've been told surgeons were allowed to use nanopaste before, considering its the nanites doing the work rather than them. Since it's not written anywhere, would be good to clarify yeah.
  12. They're knowledgeable when it comes to art and the recent PR's Haydizzle has made are rather well done. They also tend to be someone I get advice from regarding sprites. Not much content right now, like he says but I'm pretty confident we'll be seeing more great things. Good luck with the app.
  13. Looks good! It's really rare to need to use that anyway so probably won't be much of an issue anyway in the future.
  14. What would you have done differently then?
  15. From my experiences, Schev is a competent and nice enough command member when it comes to a round and driving it as a head of staff. I have little to say personally on the OOC front because I mostly ignore it. Hopefully that aspect is improved, as the OOC peanut gallery is always annoying and the reason my eyes glaze over when I see blue text most of the time.
  16. Since you've said you want to try station command roles as well, I'd advise brushing up on station procedure and the regulations. The incident where your warden stated intention to arrest a captain and attempted to raise support for what was essentially a soft mutiny comes to mind here. There wasn't really an attempt to arrange this through the proper channels (consulting the rest of command) either. Could have maybe been a fine roleplay thing but it wasn't it seems, given the complaining and confusion in the job discord over the result. So, do check out what you can do.
  17. Yeah, I could see it working out still. I think out of your subfactions, the Black Army being instigated by the Free Tajaran Council, Salvation Army and the Das'nrra Republic would probably have the most potential. The Free Tajaran Council should also probably be more visible somewhere so I will maybe suggest this to alb.
  18. Charger plays well realized characters I'd say and doesn't really disappoint. Would be interested in seeing how their command play is.
  19. The Black Armies niche is occupied by the Free Tajaran Council, which can be read about here https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Himeo#Free_Tajaran_Council. Maybe have them be a related entity that came into action during the Second Revolution, trying to finish what the Free Tajaran Council started in the First Revolution before being shoved out by the PRA. This could tie in to explain if they were trying to conduct any operations during the Second Revolution, as that's not really expanded on. The Amohdan Freedom Front is redundant and has oddities as an aside, like Hadiists being a part of it for some reason. Not only would the existence of a free state outside of Hadiist control be opposed, but it goes against the idea of the super culture. They would still think of it as Chaniska, which was what the island was renamed to. Amohda's factions are also already are decently expanded on given the arc over the islands political conflicts, being pro-ALA or Royalist (these mostly evacuated to the NKA though( with an active nationalist secessionist movement currently ongoing. Bit unsure of the Salvation Army. Wanting to enforce the caste system makes them pretty opposed with Al'marrism so to me it begs the question of why they would have been fighting under the ALA in the first place., it would maybe make some sense if this was restructured and they attempted to evacuate to the NKA or something, though I guess this could also be their quirk. Maybe try working something in regarding Vanguard Natediism For the Das'nrra Republic, shift it to Shastar City to have it make more sense. This would also tie it in more with the DPRA, Shastar being the capital and all. Crevus has always been pretty independent and I don't think there would be much of an uprising considering how it's been characterized. If anything, Crevus is one of the worst places as its elites grew to dislike the PRA, especially after they went after its enterprises by attempting to shut down casinos and such, which could be considered part of the Crevan culture. The Government of Dolor I need to think more about as a general concept, but having alien mercenaries fighting for a faction other than the PRA isn't going to fly at all I think. Especially that early. It was kind of a big thing that the Coalition even had to bail out the PRA late in the war and having something similar be used by a small group in the past is rather weird and would attract a ton of attention from practically everyone, but especially the DPRA which focuses on these mercenaries to kill, using it to further legitimize their platform against foreign involvement and such.
  20. I think a cap isn't really needed, personally. That said, I think seven or so would be a sweet spot if it's mandated. My thought is that most roles have a storage accessory they would like to take (so, webbings, holsters) and then if you just took a pants type item you'll also be taking a shirt type accessory, two gone right there, leaving three for general customization. On those who make full use of the loadout, I generally see the amount at five or over.
  21. Only thing that sounds a bit questionable to me is capping accessories per slot. A lot of stuff, like badges for example count as ties apparently due to how it works mechanically. Other than that, glad a change is finally in the works.
  22. Command whitelistees don't really get the opportunity to go traitor for good reason on the majority of their roles, consular and liaison being the exception. It's not really a similar situation. Back when roles like RD did have the chance, well. We've seen what happened and why that was removed. It was very bad for a round and that was nobody's fault in particular. It's just a consequence of giving a very advantaged role further power and the authorization to use it. I don't believe anyone is particularly worried about AI players abusing traitor status anyway. Being a traitor is hard and the natural result is always going to be some weird blend of stealth and randomly shocking people unless the AI is particularly ambitious and is willing to give the crew some hook. As it stands, an AI has more access and influence than even the captain, and high protections. If it was not so intertwined with nearly every crew system it would be more balanced, at the moment it's a malf-lite.
  23. From my observations, there's been essentially zero changes to roleplay quality at the moment other than better consistency, though the lawset remains awkward and reads more like a verbose variant of the standard ASIMOV laws. Throwing antags a bone is good, though it's just frankly a bit silly that the SCC is going to handicap their tools like that, focusing on the third law specifically in particular. I feel it's ultimately detrimental and that AI players should just be told to give antags a chance on an OOC level. The main things the whitelist has brought about from my perspective is that AI griefing is nixed, general AI quality feels more consistent as I said above but nothing special and malfs no longer take entire rounds hostage. The last point is major for me, feels small but its nice to no longer have a round held entirely hostage. AI being whitelisted and malf being removed were the two most notable and good changes. Everything else is just window dressing. Now on traitor AI specifically. There's no real way to engage with them as a crew member. There's no reason to engage with them unless they outright say there's an issue. I just see doors get bolted randomly and people getting fried randomly, which isn't reason enough to question the intelligence purpose built to help increase productivity. Door shocks are seriously deadly with even a well-optimized RCON only requiring a single shock to kill as it removes an excessive amount of blood from a person. If they luck out and it didn't put them below 85% blood oxy? Guaranteed Infection. The AI as it is, is way too connected with everything and I'm not really sure what a traitor AI brings to the table, because it's seemingly nothing other than free reign to annoy the crew or do nothing. Malf was "balanced" by the AI having visible signs of its power apparent and announcements that vaguely and then outright stated to the crew something was up. Traitor AI's don't but are still rather powerful and domineering if they want to be. Most of the time though, they feel like such a non-presence that I get surprised when I see the AI was a traitor at the end of the round.
  24. Forgot about this. Not going to really talk about MccRibs character, because there's been enough stated about it. My thoughts are positive on that front is all. Something I've really disliked about Skrell is that they have no real "presence" in the Spur, they just exist for the most part. I'm really glad you've been thinking of how to change that and make them more present and interconnected as its one of the bigger if not biggest issue with the species at the moment. They've known humanity for far longer than the rest and are a power on the level of the Solarian Alliance as well as an ally which has always made that odd how they're just a footnote even if they are a more isolationist faction. Anyway, I'm not good at flowering up words. Liked the excerpts about the Skrell trapped in Eridani. Liked the stuff regarding Silversun. We need more content like this. I think the recent reworks/additions to Skrell are good, but I could actually reference stuff like the Skrellian focused Silversun resorts as a frustrated human native or something for example, which is great. That aside, I think the main question I have at the moment is what your thoughts on the last Skrell arc (The Warbling) is and how it has affected Skrell. If that's not something you think you can really say much about, very fair. I don't think you were on Aurora at the time it ran. A short version of my own thoughts are that In a vacuum, it was fun. Got some good character development out of it as a character that started as a staunch loyalist. Felt pretty damaging to the species and out of character for Jargon overall though during the latter events.
×
×
  • Create New...