Remove Shoeless Slowdown

As someone who has run shoeless on cold/room temp/hot metal I can confirm you tend to step slower and less hard because it is uncomfortable as heck, for the extremes of cold and hot it's not just uncomfortable, it's borderline torturous. For mechanical limbs it makes sense because you have no feeling. So in that case it wouldn't bother you at all. I would say remove it for species that can't wear shoes and keep it for the ones who can and make it so robo-limbs are full speed

Edited by Chada1
2 hours ago, AmoryBlaine said:

I honestly never noticed the slowdown penalty before, which probably means this doesn't need to be removed. Perhaps just make is so there's a check for mechanical legs or something instead? Or adding random slipping to running while shoeless. I dunno.

No need because you are already punished by stepping on lego blocks. Also the slowdown is pretty significant, I'm not sure how you wouldn't have noticed it by now.

Also Chada as someone who used to practice barefoot running, and would run around a data center on patrol with only socks on, you can build a tolerance for it fairly easily. Especially with socks on.

Edited by Nantei
3 hours ago, wowzewow said:

I'm pretty sure walking around shoeless makes your footsteps silent IIRC

It does, yes.

Nantei is correct as well. I can, honest to God, walk on gravel barefoot as I'm just use to doing it. (I live in the South. Shoes aren't needed for like 70% of the year). So the excuse of "but the floors cold" is a weird one.

Well... I also walk barefoot on gravel.

I would say that walking on hot/cold metal sucks, and running barefoot on a hard surface still isn't fun.

On Cataclysm:DDA, "tough feet" is a starting Perk you can take. However, this game doesn't have perks or traits. So you're going to have to standardize it, and that has implications for roleplay.

Edited by zyymurgy
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Game mechanics I think the slow down is to balance the silence. That being said do we often see woof be assassin's take of their shoes in game for the silence benefit? Prisoners to silently evade detection? If not then why keep the slow down I say.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody use the silence. I mean. If your trying to hide you stay still and stay out of sight. You don’t move inside lockers. The slow down is just redundant. I don’t think you can hear people walking behind walls either so I don’t really understand this. 

You already suffer a downside by going shoeless, but either way, I don't really think a change like this is even really a big deal. I somehow doubt the next big tactic is going to be taking off your shoes to sneak past Security, only to be foiled because someone harm-intent threw a bottle at you. 

But, something like shoe cuffs, which is designed to slow you down as a punishment, still exists. Taking your shoes off takes its own downside. It would probably be a very easy change to make.

I did the math and not having shoes on cuts you tiles-per-second movement speed by 25%. Zeng-frames get cut from 3.33333t/s to 2.5/s and it's worse for everyone else. This should not be a thing anymore. It's just annoying given that some people just don't want to or care about shoes ergo robots, vaurcae, and some dirty guwans.

Totally supporting. I only used the silent barefoot steps one and I don't even remember why. You can't really escape anything within the hallways by going barefoot, and in maint you can but have the floor usually riddled with glass shard so it actually has its ups and downs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gem locked this topic