SO, about that New Big Thing

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 07/02/2021 at 14:30, ferner said:

I probably should've said this back when it was first announced, but after thinking about it more, I am not too happy with how the showers, locker room and smoke room from the new medical layout look. Not only because of the awkward window, but the locker room feels too crammed and I like how the current smoke room is connected to the break room. My character doesn't smoke, but if he did, he would use a lot more because I think it's a really cool room. So perhaps the smoke room could be moved back to wherever the break room will be now, and use that space to expand the locker room.

Well you know my angle for this! Anything and everything AI. 

Is it too much to hope for the AI core to actually be resprited? As in, no longer mr. white box ubiquitous with every server (save, like, the Halo one I think?). With the new mappy being smappy (and quite pog from the pictures!) this could be an excellent time to resprite/rework the entire AI approach. 

How many coders and Kyres do I need to sacrifice for this?

I'd like to encourage the mappers of the NBT to make an important structural change: Avoid break rooms. You see, break rooms sound good in theory, but in practice they're a bad idea - they segregate casual roleplay from other departments. By giving every department a break room, you are encouraging insularity and making it so that if someone wants to hang out with their bros, they may do it in an area that can only be accessed by their departmental clique. I would say that one of the best changes you could make with the NBT is to have, instead of break rooms, a number of varied recreational facilities that are accessible by the entire crew. A classy lounge, a gym, etc etc. Also, I'd say merge the bar and the kitchen into one area.

53 minutes ago, DanseMacabre said:

I'd like to encourage the mappers of the NBT to make an important structural change: Avoid break rooms. You see, break rooms sound good in theory, but in practice they're a bad idea - they segregate casual roleplay from other departments. By giving every department a break room, you are encouraging insularity and making it so that if someone wants to hang out with their bros, they may do it in an area that can only be accessed by their departmental clique. I would say that one of the best changes you could make with the NBT is to have, instead of break rooms, a number of varied recreational facilities that are accessible by the entire crew. A classy lounge, a gym, etc etc. Also, I'd say merge the bar and the kitchen into one area.

I honestly whole heartedly agree with this, I have rarely even seen the breakrooms used at all, but in servers that use collective recreational areas they are used all the time similar to the bar. Break rooms typically just take up space and are good in theory, but in practice are typically just places for a ninja to sit back and restock on water in after hes been sprinting cloaked for 10 minutes straight

9 hours ago, SinfulBehaviors said:

Eh, I'm not really a fan of that. I feel like keeping the bar as a lounge would be more interesting. Maybe make it vaguely food court-y and have a room with seating, Bar on one side and kitchen on the other?

A more modern take, also from Goon, carrying a fairly common design philosophy of 'one room, two counters' that you may have seen anywhere from older variations of Boxstation to some variations of Torch.

Spoiler

Screenshot_4.thumb.png.d1576cceafa822dcffe5a6c56518dd9d.png