SO, about that New Big Thing

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, QuestioningMark said:

So how elite is this multi-corp platform gonna be?

My immediate question is how we can adjust current lore and characters to this? Everyone with wacky mallcops, runaway soviet tigers and deadbeats who went corporate for the money fits into the bar for entry for working in some shitty multi-utility mining station; but I don't think they would a corperate exploration vessel.

So what exactly the overall-setting idea for the ship so that older characters can tag along? Or are we gonna be making the mature decision to say the level of professionalism reflected in characters needs to raise a bar to get into corperate-NASA?

And are we gonna be making a quasi-copy of Expeditionary Command or make it extremely corp-mix focused with only very few characters representing being picked by a unifying entity? One distinct way to make it less like another Expeditionary Command would be to not have some 'default generic exploration company' organization for everyone, just literally the highest non-departmental command staff.

If we use "Stick up arse" as a measure of elitism, then I want to shoot for "Just the tip up arse". Going any higher would get us towards a silly strict RP environment that probably isn't beneficial for RP. How exactly lore will achieve this is up to lads like @kyres1, tho.

On 19/04/2020 at 22:06, Skull132 said:

Loreman told me that there'll be an automated support fleet attached to the vessel. To include a cryosleep ship. So the people will live there.

I would have some more questions there (and more in general that came up recently) but as they all are more setting than mechanics related they probably should wait for now untill something more concrete is set up. But as long as the Loreteam is also integrated in the development process, my concerns are not as big.

11 minutes ago, A.I.M.M.O. said:

I would have some more questions there (and more in general that came up recently) but as they all are more setting than mechanics related they probably should wait for now untill something more concrete is set up. But as long as the Loreteam is also integrated in the development process, my concerns are not as big.

Kyres (deputy leaderman of loremen) is actually one of the larger drivers for this enterprise.

1 hour ago, Haveatya said:

Do we intend to have rounds switch between the Aurora Station and the Aurora Vessel? Or would we move completely to the vessel? Also, can't wait to have Breacher G-XXX actually breach things.

No map switching. Map rotation and rp are bad juju. So once we go ship, we're staying ship.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I've been thinking about - will new corporations be written for the NBT's departmental system, or will each department be using the ones we currently have access to? Another thing - will everyone be under the employ of a corporate entity? Right now there are a few roles on Aurora that are independent or government-aligned - consular officers and freelance reporters, in particular, but also visitors and such.

I also want to know about how many characters will need to be remade. Since the Aurora wasn't a ship, we have cultivated the ideas of homes off-base, as it were. Also, the low-skilled laborers might have less incentive to be on the vessel? I'd be sad if I had to scrap my mining child outright, though I am excited to see the new maps.

6 hours ago, DanseMacabre said:

One thing I've been thinking about - will new corporations be written for the NBT's departmental system, or will each department be using the ones we currently have access to? Another thing - will everyone be under the employ of a corporate entity? Right now there are a few roles on Aurora that are independent or government-aligned - consular officers and freelance reporters, in particular, but also visitors and such.

No new corps are planned, the current ones will be used. Independent roles will likely remain as they are, they're outliers so w/e.

10 minutes ago, Estoytrucha said:

I also want to know about how many characters will need to be remade. Since the Aurora wasn't a ship, we have cultivated the ideas of homes off-base, as it were. Also, the low-skilled laborers might have less incentive to be on the vessel? I'd be sad if I had to scrap my mining child outright, though I am excited to see the new maps.

I mean. Someone has to do the low-skilled work? Whether or not your character sees service on a spess-ship as a good career path is ultimately up to you to decide. We cannot make every concession and obviously certain characters that would fit Aurora will not fit the ship. This is inevitable for any major change in setting.

• 1 month later...

I'm not really sure how I feel about this to be honest, but I can't really articulate why beyond "change bad". I just like the static setting, I guess, and the NT-centrism, but I feel like that's only because "that's how it's always been."

Most of all I fear my character wouldn't fare very well on a ship, especially if Cargo is changed drastically. I feel it wouldn't make sense for Layla, who I've grown attached to over the years, to want to work on, or to be transferred to working on, a ship.

I don't really have any objective criticism of the idea. I think it's a cool and ambitious concept, but I fear it might change too much too fast for me personally, and the setting would most likely either force me to shoehorn in an explanation for why my character is there, or to just abandon her.

But hey then again I vote extended so my opinions are invalid ;) 

• 4 weeks later...

On the one hand, this is super exciting, and I'd love to see some of the cool stories that comes out of it.

But I do have a concern with the lack of being based anywhere. Things like the Personal Terminal discord work because there's this planet nearby where most people live, which allows for RP outside of the workplace. With everyone living on a ship for prolonged periods of time, that would probably be lost, which I'm not a huge fan of.

But hey, still super stoked for it.

As a big user of the Personal Terminal and head admin I guess, I've had a big think about what'll happen to that discord. I coded VR pods for the server, so in-lore, it's not impossible for VR to be a big thing. So transitioning the RP stuff to a virtual reality seems very doable. Naturally the ship will also be docking at places, so we can have seasonal RP venues there.

tbqh VR, docking, long range hardlight projection, all of these are potential ways you can have different out of game RP settings. It's all really just narrative excuses anyway, you could just imply the new SHIP and the accompanying shuttles all have experimental extra expensive bluespace drives that basically make space meaningless but are basically stolen tech and can't be reproduced (if you really want to feel like a hack just say it was stuff designed by Glorsh and nobody could fathom to even touch them without threatening to detonate a system) 

or a bluespace anchor, making travel to a position you have the anchor to almost instant to be a SIMILAR location near where the Aurora was, an easy back and fourth and excuses new crew coming in because 'Anchor transmission, medical doctor' or cryogenics option. Largely RP stuff is really easy to adjust but may need a tad of setting tweaking 

EDIT: or humans have reverse engineered the Vaurca bug VR and it's super fucking immersive and addictive so it's becoming the new norm anyway so VR interactions in colourful and fun locations with actual people but also just their VR projections works, but again hack writing a little you could polish it significantly 

Edited by Lmwevil

image.png.56bd8a4dd8027a96e4a5801822cd1bda.png

We could place some of those around the place we explore.

However it will be solved I am on the side of Geeves here, the lore team and playerbase will find a way together. Personally like the VR idea a ton. If not, the concept of living on a ship can be quite fascinating either.

I'd love to see something akin to Ascension, with different social classes finding different areas of the ship as their home. I wanna mug folks in the tunnels lol.

Edited by Cnaym
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Throughout just about every server, engineering often feels like a very weak department when it comes to mechanics, and current Aurora is no exception. The common loop is "set up this engine in the first 10 minutes and spend the rest of the round talking(from my POV, talking and roleplaying are two entities with slight overlap) while hoping for something to break," and that's if you can't think of an idea for something to build that hasn't been done to death already. Will this NBT bring about an engineering department that provides new and interesting mechanics?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...