[Accepted] ShesTrying's Command Whitelist Application

BYOND key: ShesTrying

Character names: Thea Marietti, Lynn Songna, Valerie Aquila, Naia Willam, Nih-LA (pAI), Lush (Nymph)

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: I joined the server in late December of 2018, and have picked it up on a daily basis in the past two months.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: I want to be on the whitelist to further Thea’s character progression, mainly. She started working with NanoTrasen out of want to progress her own research, and through interactions and bonds with people has moved to wanting to help the crew of the Aurora further themselves. Past that, I think I am capable of helping new players, and providing a fresh perspective on the command team, along with setting an example of roleplay for the people working under and around me.

Why did you come to Aurora?: Aurora was actually the first SS13 server that I joined. ClearThoughts recommended it to me, and taught me the game, after which I picked up the rest myself. I haven’t really joined any other servers than Aurora, and I don’t intend to.

Have you read the Aurora wiki on the head roles and qualifications you plan on playing?: Yes.

Have you received any administrative actions? And how serious were they? I was bwoinked by Read once for clicking a restart vote instead of a round vote, told not to do it again, and never did it again. I didn’t know what it was and now I do.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: Roleplay is becoming a character and viewing a world through their eyes, and choosing actions based on their prerogative. It is about becoming someone or something different, new, and fun. Roleplay is about interacting with people, items, and experiences in a perspective that is, ideally, not your own.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: The OOC purpose of a head of staff is to provide an example for the people around you, as for a roleplay standard. Past that, I believe that heads of staff are there to teach possibly new players who just want to expand their knowledge how to play the game, helping them with getting accustomed to the server, and really offering yourself as someone who is willing to be there and help them through any difficulties they may have with the game, or roleplay in general.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: The responsibilities of a whitelisted player, in my opinion, mirror the responsibilities of a head of staff player. Without a command role, these players will, most likely, be the ones who interact with new people on a less formal basis, and are the best, in my opinion, for asking quick questions, and providing, similarly to a head of staff, guidance and advice.

Could you give us the gist of what is currently happening in Tau ceti and how it affected your character and their career? Two years ago Thea happened upon a job with NanoTrasen as a station psychiatrist. NanoTrasen was just the kind of company she was looking for, a place to get lost in the files and a place to learn more about people. She had fled Sol in an attempt to remove herself from bad choices made in her youth and, with Tau Ceti being such a diverse place she had more than enough cases to look at, help, and evaluate, making herself more than useful enough to keep around. Based out of the Odin for a long while she eventually landed an away spot on the NSS Aurora. Her reason for taking the transfer, figuring that it would be a good place to further her research, and as NanoTrasen itself had the Republic of Beisel in a metaphorical economic stranglehold, felt safe rising in the company. After all, if the company was willing to protect her, she was willing to work for them. As tensions rise with Sol and Tau Ceti, Thea placed her roots firmly with NanoTrasen and intends to stay there.

What roles do you plan on playing after the application is accepted? HoP only, for some time if I get the whitelist. I don’t plan on expanding at all until I’ve really experienced the other departments and what they require.

Characters you intend to use for command or have created for command. Include the job they will be taking.:
Thea Marietti - Head of Personnel

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: I would rate myself a solid eight out of ten, as everyone has room to learn new ways of writing, interacting, and creating characters.

Do you understand your whitelist is not permanent, and may be stripped following continuous administrative action? Yes.

Have you familiarize yourself with the wiki pages for the command roles? Yes.

Extra notes: None-- thank you for taking the time to give this a read.

Edited by ReadThisNamePlz

ShesTrying is a great fit for most command roles. She's patient, kind, and definitely one of the best RPers I've ever interacted with. Even with a job like librarian she manages to be interesting and involved in the round just through her ability to RP very, very well, and that could only translate positively to a command position. If you agree at all with the OOC responsibilities question, then ShesTrying is perfect for the role. On more then one occasion I've seen her help new players, especially with the recent influx, with the new players having only positive and thankful things to say towards her. I'm certain she would only benefit the server by being given a command whitelist, and I believe anyone who has had any extended interaction with her would agree with me wholeheartedly. She's a wonderful person, a fantastic roleplayer, and I personally believe we are in need of more command staff players, and given that ShesTrying plays nearly every day, it makes 100% sense that she'd be given the whitelist. +1 from me.

Hello.

I have a single concern with this application. Thea is a psychiatrist, but you intend to play her as a Head of Personnel, according to your application. Are there any particular motivations for this?

Please consider that both careers don't have much in common, as Heads of Personnel are people who have studied and specialized in certain branches of Business Administration, and are professionals of their field.

I have not checked Thea's records, or anything of the sort, but unless she's got a decent history on that field, the only position she can achieve is Chief Medical Officer, if she meets the other requirements.

If you wish to start your Command experience with a Head of Personnel, you are going to need to make a new character with the appropriate background.

2 hours ago, Juani2400 said:

Hello.

I have a single concern with this application. Thea is a psychiatrist, but you intend to play her as a Head of Personnel, according to your application. Are there any particular motivations for this?

Please consider that both careers don't have much in common, as Heads of Personnel are people who have studied and specialized in certain branches of Business Administration, and are professionals of their field.

I have not checked Thea's records, or anything of the sort, but unless she's got a decent history on that field, the only position she can achieve is Chief Medical Officer, if she meets the other requirements.

If you wish to start your Command experience with a Head of Personnel, you are going to need to make a new character with the appropriate background.

I can definitely make a new character for an HoP position. My reasoning for Thea taking up the role is that I was under the impression it could be a more HR-oriented role. While she doesn't have the business experience from the schooling itself, she was self-employed for a short time before joining with NT, and as her background is in psych she tends to know what people are willing to do in terms of work, interaction, and general mental capabilities of people, if that makes sense. She doesn't have enough experience in general medicine for me to justify her being a CMO, however. The main duties of an HoP, from what I can tell, is synergizing the departments and ensuring that everyone working is happy and productive. What better person to do this than someone who is intimately familiar with the way a mind works, and what makes people tick? It is certainly no issue for me to make another character, though, and I can see where your concern comes from.

When I moved Ellie shoshanna to HoP her background as a scientist was largely unhelpful, so I retconned a little and put her in academic administration. I’m sure you can figure something out to work in thea’s favor. 

Large career shifts are generally okay, from what I’ve seen, as long as they’re treated like a big and permanent deal. 

Edited by Resilynn

+1

She'sTrying is an excellent roleplayer with strong skills in writing, and her characters show that. She is good at writing the first page of the story, or at tugging on the first page and letting the story be made. I have had multiple RP sessions with her across multiple different shifts and I believe her OOC demeanor alone makes her a good fit for HoP let alone the character she plans to move or create for the role. I've watched her teach new players and sit down to RP with just one a few times in which she helps them learn the game mechanics as well as gives a guiding hand to their roleplay ensuring they know what level is expected on the server. ShesTrying is clearly a good player and trying to help others regardless of situation and would be an awesome fit.

I would also love to interact with her as command staff, and to shovel all of my paperwork at her because I'd finally have a HoP to do so.

Top tier roleplayer. One of the best we have currently, and I say that with little stake in her characters. I have witnessed how she plays, and it is with roleplay as the primary focus, which is quite clear given her choice of role being psychiatrist, and Head of Personnel. +1 from me, I can see someone with a psych. background going into HOP/HR things.

Out of the current non-command players, I can't think of a better candidate for HoP than Thea's player. I feel that, given her new command position, she'd be more than able to solve conflicts to arise between departments or individuals of any sort. Definite +1, seeing the opportunities for RP she's already created as a psychiatrist.

+1, Thea is wonderfully roleplayed. Don't see a problem with the player having a command WL.

HOP IS the HR department. It's not just about business administration. There's a lot of people skills and working with disgruntled employees. Honestly, Thea could pick up an OAD class and an econ class and be pretty okay in that job. 

I've been playing SS13 since like 2013,(On and off)  i've met a bunch of really cool people since then. ShesTrying is one of the best roleplayers I have met. Every interaction with her has always been interesting and learning how she would deal with situations has always been the highlight of the round. +1 for me

Given the positive feedback to your application, we have decided to move into the trial phase of the process. It will last for a week, until the 01/APR/2019.

Your application will be reviewed again at that time. Please continue to advertise your application in order to gather feedback of the trial phase.

Enjoy.

I've been able to play quite a few rounds with Thea in the HoP role, and I have no regrets in showing my support for her getting the position originally. After both spectating and playing in rounds that involve her, I think most people would agree she is a perfect fit for the role. I've seen her deal with things, from basic paperwork to a hostile situation in which she came seconds away from being killed (along with the Captain), she manages to handle both with good RP for both sides, which is all one can really ask for from an HoP, aside from being competent at their job, which she absolutely is, and then some.

Have had multiple great experiences, the way She's is playing made me quite surprised to find out that she's wasn't on the whitelist for a long time already, they play with an incredible amount of depth and experience in their actions. I've personally been extremely happy to RP with Thea, I find the character to have a nice amount of depth and realism, and the way they actually conduct their HoP duties is done incredibly well, both mechanically and thematically. I'd definitely like to see this application get past trial successfully.

Edited by ThatGuyGW
Grammar error

I've been interacting every shift with Thea as HoP and I really like her. She's the most impactful HoP that I've ever had- she actually comes and says hello every round, she acts with a demeanour fitting a HoP, and most importantly she actually deals with things, and I never once have gotten the impression that she's a hands-off very aloof HoP --- Several times when issues concerning... personnel have arisen she actually calls them to the office and sorts it out in a very professional manner. She's very nice, but I've seen her be severe and stern when the situation calls for it-- In general, a very good Head of Personnel from my experiences in the past week. 

I don't normally bother with shilling people's applications but Thea is an exceptionally good Head of Personnel, and frankly one of the best ones that I've worked under in all the time that I've spent slaving away in the Service department. I fully support this application's approval.

Just don't let what I said go straight to your head.